Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thank you once again and tips on what to do to prepare for law school?

LSATisthehardestthingLSATisthehardestthing Free Trial Member
in General 98 karma

Hi,

I posted a couple weeks ago about thanking 7sage and I'd like to do it one more time now that I am officially done with my cycle.

I've been accepted to Penn Law, and I'm thrilled to be heading off to law school (finally!)

Can anyone give me advice on what to do prepare for law school? What books should I be reading or how can I start preparing for law school exams or what to study in terms of learning the black letter law. I know that there is a wealth of knowledge and advice for 0L prep so I'd really appreciate it if anyone could weigh in on this.

Thanks again so much!

Comments

• noonawoonnoonawoon Alum Member
    3481 karma

I don't have suggestions because I'm not at that phase yet haha but congrats!!!!!!!

• cooljon525-1-1cooljon525-1-1 Alum Member
    917 karma

I asked this exact question to the deans of certain schools and they all advised me to relax and not do anything lol

• taschasptaschasp Alum Member Sage
    796 karma

Major congrats on the Penn acceptance :smiley: I saw your post before about having the interview with them so I'm glad to hear that it worked out for you!

I'm not sure about any official 0L prep, and that might be something you could reach out to current students about (current 1Ls might have some good advice, having just taken their exams...). But one suggestion would be to just reflect about how you can make the most out of your time at law school. I imagine it goes by pretty fast and you'll be so busy in your first year, it'll pay off to go in with as much of a plan as you can. I know that's pretty vague, but it obviously depends on a lot on what your own goals are and what you want to get out of your time at Penn!

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

Hi there! Congratulations on Penn! I’m a 1L at Northwestern. I would recommend that the best things you can do for yourself are simply to get your finances in order (pay off any debt if you can, put money into savings, make a budget for school, etc), get ready to do a lot of dumb paperwork and things to prep for school like making sure you are current on vaccinations, take a vacation or just some time off at home to rest and relax, start researching housing options (on vs. off campus, neighborhoods...), but otherwise I personally don’t think you need to do any substantive learning. Truly, everything you need to learn will happen during school.

I did a 3 day summer prep program through NU, which was great, but I don’t think you need to worry about seeking out those 0L prep courses. Every professor teaches things in their own way, so for some of my classes I think it would have actually been counterproductive if I’d tried to learn about the subject before school. A lot of folks recommend the book “Getting to Maybe,” which teaches you about taking law school exams. However, I’ve heard it makes a lot more sense once you get into school. So maybe buy that and skim it, but re-read it during the semester.

Granted, I don’t have any of my grades back yet, but as a former music major that has been out of undergrad for 10+ years, I can say that you will learn everything you need to know during orientation and class itself. I was worried about coming in at a deficit, but everyone is really on the same level. I wasn’t able to swing it financially, but the only thing I wished I did this past summer was take a serious vacation. Once school starts, you won’t have much of an opportunity to do that for like 3-5 years, so have a lot of fun, enjoy the summer, and start school refreshed and well-rested!