Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is studying at home difficult for you too?

ilovethelsatilovethelsat Member
in General 348 karma

Hi all, does anyone else also find it incredibly difficult to study at home? I don't know what it is, but I always feel a lot more productive when I vary my study venues between coffee shops and libraries. Maybe it's because my brain just doesn't perceive my home as a study location, but instead views it as a relaxing place where I can just hang out in my P.J.s. I'm always paranoid that studying in libraries/coffee shops will be super distracting without me even realizing it, but honestly, I just put my airpods in and listen to lyric-less music and it works really well for me (except when I'm PT-ing, I usually go to a super dead and quiet library and no music). What are your experiences with study venues?

Comments

• noonawoonnoonawoon Alum Member
    3481 karma

In college I much preferred to study in libraries/coffeeshops, but in post-grad life I love studying in my quiet calm apartment haha.

• EagerestBeaverEagerestBeaver Alum Member
    703 karma

I studied at home for 8 months. What works for one person might not work for others. If you get more productive focused hours out of studying in public places, do it.

• Chris BabinskyyChris Babinskyy Alum Member
    51 karma

I can do absolutely nothing at home. I tried on multiple occasions to study at home with zero success. Additionally, my college isn't close to home, so public libraries and coffee shops do the trick for me.
    If noise is a significant distraction for you, I would suggest a public library, or even a nearby college library, considering that most do not check IDs. That's what I do.

• Hi there!

I know it can be difficult studying at home, especially without the proper setup. It also takes a great deal of self discipline to not get distracted by food in the kitchen, or by all the fun gadgets we keep at home. I chose to work through the entire core curriculum at home because I felt it was critical to have complete silence while learning the fundamentals. However, for the practice tests, I will be taking on a different approach. I feel it is crucial to simulate testing conditions as much as possible while in the PT phase. In this case, taking PT's in the comfort of home will not be serving many benefits since the actual test we will be surrounded by people. I am planning to take the first handful of PTs at a quiet library. As my skills increase, I will challenge myself by taking PTs in noisy coffee shops so that I will be over prepared for any noise I may experience during the actual test.

As for studying at home, if you'd like to give it another try while learning fundamentals, I recommend setting up a mini office area dedicated to work and study only. Even a simple desk and lamp in a corner would suffice. Having a dedicated space like this makes it easier to separate study time from relaxation time while in the comfort of our homes. If you have certain times of the day where your house is silent this could be a great option for you.

Nicole

• hanin.aahhanin.aah Free Trial Member
    10 karma

There are days I can't do anything at home and days I can only work at home. I found five different spaces around town that could work and I alternate where I take my PT so that the environments differ. For me its psychological, if I can get a 170 with screaming toddlers in the library for reading hour, test day should be a breeze.

• stephanie37stephanie37 Alum Member
    22 karma

Same here! Even if it’s just an hour of studying I cannot bring myself to do it at home, always a librar of Starbucks!

• cooljon525-1-1cooljon525-1-1 Alum Member
    917 karma

People piss me off in the library when they cough/make noise. Thats why I always studied at home