Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Old" LSAT Takers II

OldLadyKOldLadyK Alum Member
in General 396 karma

There was a great discussion that happened a few years back between "old" LSAT takers (yes, I know it's painful to referred to as old). I'm going to be 39 in a few weeks and am looking at law as my second career path. I spent most of my adult years as a professional dancer and teacher, and with a nearly 17 year gap between my undergrad and now I've found this whole process to be quite intense, and in all honesty quite lonely at times. If you're out there and you're in the same place in your life, I'd love to hear from you!

Comments

• 242 karma

Im 35. Im currently in a MSW program that my employer is paying for, however I am seriously considering a career change and decided to try to apply to law school. My undergrad GPA was very high and I scored a 155 on the Nov LSAT. Its not great but its good enough to get close to a free ride at an unranked law school in my area. I have been through this process before, about ten years ago, when i graduated from college. I ended up getting a high paying job and never following through with the applications. Now I am completely burnt out from that career. I hear you. Its ALOT. But, you can do it. One piece at a time. Good luck!

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

AKA "Older, Wiser" Law (or OL) Students.

• 242 karma

I am not on here as much as I was when I was studying, but feel free to message me!

• Older_LS_Applicant85Older_LS_Applicant85 Core Member
    162 karma

Checking in. I'm 34 and have been preparing for the LSAT part time for the 4 years, it wasn't until late 2018 that I quit my job and started studying full time. I worked in the legal sector (law clerk/legal assistant) for a few years and after some time I realized that the law really fascinated me and offered me a more fulfilling career than what I was doing before (payroll). My schedule is usually: Monday through Friday I'm in the library, and on weekends I make ends meet through my side hustle. The toughest thing about this journey is that sometimes I feel like life is passing me by while I prep for the LSAT. The test covers so much and you have to do so much practicing that days, weeks, months go by and I see very little progress. So it's tough to stay motivated, but so far I've been able to do it and hopefully it pays off. To be clear, I need it to pay off considering I have a low GPA and the only way I can get into my target schools (Notre Dame, Wisconsin, Ohio State) is if I crush it. Wish me luck. Right now I'm dealing with a small problem regarding my Letter of Recommendation. One of my former employers forgot to add anecdotal info to my letter and I'm unsure about how I should tell him he needs to improve the letter. If anyone has any advice, I'm all ears and would appreciate it. Being around this test for so long has made me familiar with a lot of LSAT related things, so if anyone has any questions, feel free to contact me. Let's keep the convo going!

• Lana KaneLana Kane Alum Member
    176 karma

I'll be 36 next month and applying next cycle, planning on the June test but may push it up to April if I'm PTing close to my target. Trying to work part-time, study, and take care of 2 kids while my husband works 80+ hours a week is....challenging haha. Started CC in June and just starting PTing end of Oct. I have a lower GPA since I went to community college and skipped a bunch of classes for 2 years haha, the last 2 years I have a strong GPA in a STEM degree but those LSAC calculations are not my friend haha. Also hoping to do well enough to get some scholarship $$$ since my husband's grad school loans are $$$$$$$ and we can't really afford to add to them. Excited that its finally 2020 and I'm applying THIS YEAR!!!

• OldLadyKOldLadyK Alum Member
    396 karma

Hey Everyone! It's nice to hear from so many amazing people. Thank you for sharing your stories and insights. It helps to know that there are other "oldies" out there fighting the good fight.

• Destiny_LBDestiny_LB Alum Member
    130 karma

This thread is just what I needed! I too will be 39 this year and have been at this LSAT thing off and on for about three years. After seven years working in politics and governmental law I decided the only way for me to really get to the "next level" was to pursue my J.D. It has been a battle ever since. I finally decided to quit my full time position last August so that I could dedicate more time to studying but I'll be going back to work in a few weeks as my savings has been depleted more than I'm comfortable with. After two lousy scores I have decided that this time I will take the LSAT when I am ready.....though I'm aiming for an April take.

This has been one of the most difficult things I have ever done and I commend all of you for taking this on. There are days when I feel like I'm going to crush the test, and others when I feel like maybe I'm just not cut out for this. But.... I refuse to quit! Keep your heads up and keep forging ahead. Thank you all for sharing your stories and helping me see that I'm not alone in this.

If anyone would like to keep in touch to study or commiserate let me know. I wish you all the best of luck in your journey ahead!

• seviyor918seviyor918 Member
    19 karma

I’m 33, considering law school after my doctoral degree. Same boat! R

• AudaciousRedAudaciousRed Alum Member
    edited January 2020 2689 karma

37 here, and coming from a very similar situation as @"Lana Kane" (sans one kid). Took me longer than I wanted to for the LSAT, but I stuck with it. You absolutely can learn it!! Now, I'm heading to law school this fall.

• Gia LynnetGia Lynnet Member
    14 karma

Oh my gosh, if you are old, then I am ancient! You are all young pups! I'm 59 and following a broken neck and a subsequent serious life change rendering my old career path impossible to return to, I'm studying for the LSAT. Regardless of what brought each of us here, the interest and desire for a law school education never seems to go away... Like a proverbial "itch" that has to be scratched. The LSAT is a one-of-a-kind test and it's amazing that anyone would subject themselves to the rigorous and, yes, lonely life of an LSAT study-er aka law school hopeful. We will get through this...step by step and one lesson/test at a time. All the best to each of you fellow travelers regardless of age as we determine to "Crush it!" Regards!!

• VincentGambiniVincentGambini Alum Member
    34 karma

Yesterday was my 40th birthday. Studying for the March LSAT. Excited that you all are out here. As time has gone on, I have realized that I am more likely to "play it safe" in most facets of my life. I don't think going to law school as an older student is the safe play and the fact that all of you are doing it is inspiring- chasing dreams is cool. Keep up the good work, will send good vibes, and good luck!

• SharpieHighlighterSharpieHighlighter Alum Member
    edited January 2020 132 karma

@Older_LS_Applicant85 said:
    Right now I'm dealing with a small problem regarding my Letter of Recommendation. One of my former employers forgot to add anecdotal info to my letter and I'm unsure about how I should tell him he needs to improve the letter. If anyone has any advice, I'm all ears and would appreciate it.

I'm curious to know how you knew what the former employer wrote? Did you sumbit through CAS and waive your rights to access? Is it possible for you to get another recommender instead? If I were you, I'd consider getting another recommender and also waiving your rights, if you didn't already. Unless you are on very good terms with the former employer, I'm not sure how you could ask them nicely to improve their letter, and you probably shouldn't burn any bridges in the process. Also, this kind of massaging of letters between candidate and recommender is the main reason why blind letters are viewed more favorably by law schools.

• tonja2707tonja2707 Free Trial Member
    3 karma

I'm 44 & was scheduled to take the LSAT today but misread my 'accomodations letter' rescheduling me to Jan 15 (day after tomorrow). I'm an OWL too it appears. :-) Been a paralegal for 20 years & just ready to take on a bigger role... Also wanting to get into a different area & doing so as an inexperienced (in that area) paralegal is more difficult than I thought.

• thecmancanthecmancan Alum Member
    161 karma

35 with 2 silly boys at home. The toughest part for me is definitely the feeling of making progress. Then, a child gets sick or some long hours at work make it seem like I'm slipping back.

I guess for me, studying the LSAT is like a rising tide. It may take wave after wave of some progress and some recession. But eventually, I'll hit that high water mark and FLOOD THE BANK WITH MY LOGICS!!

That or a 170.

• 2ndTimestheCharm2ndTimestheCharm Alum Member
    1810 karma

Hey! I just turned 42 and have been a newspaper editor (the good news, features and entertainment) for 15 years. I spent the past 2 years scoring in the 160s on PTs, but I never got more than a 155 on the real administration after 4 takes. It was all about LG for me - I'm good at the Games, but they paralyzed me with panic every time it was the real deal. So now I've come to terms with my score and decided to stop the pain and turn my focus to applications and visiting schools. I'm applying to 12 schools for 2021, and with the score being the worst thing about my application package - and with the awesome help of the 7Sage admissions consultants - I feel like I have a good shot at getting into a great school. Even though I wasn't able to get a high score, I did improve slightly from my diagnostic (148), and more importantly, I love being part of the community on here - so thanks for restarting this thread.