Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Advice: Taking the LSAT for the 6th Time?

ttlsat19ttlsat19 Member
edited February 2020 in Law School Admissions 14 karma

Hi everyone,

I just received my LSAT score from the January 2020 administration and am feeling quite disappointed. I was hoping to apply for Fall 2020 admission, but I don't think I will get into many mid-tiered schools, let alone receive scholarships to go. It's also near the end of the cycle so I am aware that there are fewer seats left to fill.

Here is a breakdown of the scores I've received so far:
Jan 2020 - 153
Dec 2019 - 152
Jul 2018 - 150
Dec 2017 - 147
Jun 2017 - 146

My first 2 times taking the LSAT were "just to see how I would do". For the first test, I went in cold turkey with no preparation. For the second one, I had watched lesson videos through Blueprint's online course but didn't take any practice tests. Upon reflection now, I should have canceled those scores, but now they are on my score report and there's nothing I can do. I took the next 3 exams with about 12-15 hours/week of drilling questions. To date, I have taken no more than 10 practice exams. I have completely underestimated the amount of preparation, namely taking practice exams, that it would take to score at least in the low 160s (although my goal is at least 165). My fear is that I've seen too many LSAT questions and don't have much new study material to take practice tests with. Not sure how to effectively study from this point to get a significant score increase. I also don't know if the strategies or logic skills I've learned are wrong and need correcting. It's just frustrating that the score bump-ups I've gotten are no more than 1-2 points. I guess it's good that I haven't done worse?

I received a 3.7 undergraduate GPA from a #2 public U.S. university and I have a strong resume with a few years of relevant work experience and community involvement. However, knowing that the LSAT score is the most significant factor for getting into a T20 school, I'm thinking about applying for the Fall 2021 cycle instead.

1. How do you think schools will perceive a 6th score if I take the test in Sept/Oct 2020? I heard that after a certain number of tests, they are more inclined to take the average of your scores. I also don't want to look desperate!
  2. Anyone who has achieved a 165+ with a full-time job and family obligations, how did you do it? How long was your preparation journey?
  3. If I apply this year and decide not to go, will it look bad if I try again next year?

Any help is appreciated. Thank you :)

Comments

• Achen165Achen165 Member
    656 karma

Hey!

Don’t fear! I’m going on my 4th LSAT and I have to say your situation isn’t all that uncommon. There are just fewer people who are willing to be honest about their journeys, and many give up. It’s all very much okay and all you can do is propel forwards.

They are not going to average your scores unless the school specifically says that’s their practice, which is quite atypical! They can’t hold you to a different LSAT standard than someone who hit their target on their first try. You just have to demonstrate that you are capable of scoring high on the exam. They will see all scores but only the highest (unless otherwise stated) will be your benchmark for candidacy. You can always write an addendum explaining your lower scores, depending on whether or not you want to acknowledge them and whether such is ideal for the school you are applying to.

It depends on your breakdown, your personal aptitude, etc. Every person is different. Without those obligations, my progress has been slow, but for another person in my shoes, it may be more rapid. It’s a combination of how much time you are willing and able to expense, and how much practice you personally need to but your target. There is no set formula. Some people need more time to do less work over a span, some can get away with doing less, some can do more work over a shorter period. Everyone’s different. If you are more inclined to progress than anything, work steadily towards your goals regardless of timeline to achieve. Don’t cut your studies short this time around. Be fully prepared and let your progress determine your date.

It wouldn’t look bad...you could defer admissions to hold a slot (if granted any money though it’s unlikely to be held too) or reapply and doing so early in the cycle can be to your advantage.

• lexxx745lexxx745 Alum Member Sage
    3190 karma

Well at this point fall 2021 is a given.

I think you have to reassess your studying. 12-15 hours a week might not be enough of just drilling. Need to throw in some sections in there.

Good news is, you have a lot of time for fall 2021 admission. Id crank down, and really get on it haha

• lexxx745lexxx745 Alum Member Sage
    3190 karma

As far as the amount of times taking LSAT, ive seen posts of some people that have taken it around the number of times you have, maybe you can PM them for personal advice
    @"Lucas Carter"

• Jonathan22Jonathan22 Alum Member
    28 karma

I wouldn't worry about a 6th try coming off as desperate. I'd say it shows you're determined. Also wouldn't worry about waiting, but only if you think you can get a better score. If you haven't already, you should look into how some of the high scorers improved. Check out the 7sage podcast. Full of interviews where ppl went from 150s - 170s. I had also underestimated this test. From what I've read you have to blind review and when you're reviewing you should write down why you did or did not get X answer correct. This allows you to see your reasoning so you can correct your mistake on other similar problems. Also check out the loophole for logical reasoning by Ellen Cassidy and the LSAT trainer by Mike Kim. Heard good things about them. Im sure if you change up your study habits, look into some other methods like those books above and keep practicing on 7sage you'll see an increase. Good luck.