Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Post cc help

LogicianLogician Alum Member Sage
edited February 2020 in General 2464 karma

So I just finished my first post CC PT (PT 36) and I’m not really sure where to go from here or how to feel about it. A couple of mistakes I made which I won’t be making again: 1) taking the test in a noisy environment (I actually had to stop and move in the middle of my last section, and well I pretty much hated everyone else in the room during the prior sections- lol). 2) moving too fast- specifically, at a speed which I was unable to digest what I was reading. I managed to get through both the LG and RC sections but for both LR sections I ended up having to guess the last 3-4 questions per section (of which I got a total of 2 correct! Not bad). I scored a 158 on my timed take and a 171 on BR. My section breakdown for my timed take LR:15/26 (-11) RC:18/26 (-8) LR: 19/26 (-7) LG 19/23 (-4). Section breakdown for BR: LR (-5) RC (-5) LG (-0).
So, my question is where do I go from here? I’m still fool-proofing games but I do feel as though I’m at the point (or near it) where I can manage 0 to -1 in games (though that section may suggest otherwise). For LR I feel as though it might be best to just stick to timed sections until I can get to the point where I’m able to finish them in time? I think I have a descent understanding in LR, untimed ill usually go anywhere from 0 to -2 with the occasional -3. My RC is not great, I usually miss a good amount of easy questions. I think that pretty much sums it all up.

All feedback is appreciated, thanks!

Whats next?
  1. Whats next?11 votes
    1. Keep PT'ing
      27.27%
    2. Get your ass back to timed sections
      72.73%

Comments

• lexxx745lexxx745 Alum Member Sage
    edited February 2020 3190 karma

I think timed sections or PT, either or is fine. Should focus on reading comp but you definitley need to PT once or twice more to really see your weaknesses become some tests are harder than others in certain sections

• LogicianLogician Alum Member Sage
    2464 karma

@lexxx745 thanks for that. After taking another 2 or 3 PT’s, would you suggest to continue taking then occasionally even if I can’t finish them in time? Or should I stick with timed sections until I can finish them?

• lexxx745lexxx745 Alum Member Sage
    3190 karma

I dont really see the difference

A PT is 4 timed sections.
    You can either take a timed section, then BR, which is what I assume your timed section strategy is
    Or take a full PT, then BR it it the next day. IMO the difference is pretty neglible. I guess most people recommend BRing the day of so you remember your reasoning while you BR.

I think timed sections during the week, maybe one full PT at the end of the week?

I really dont think theres a difference, as long as the BR is extensive throughout both. I know people who just take PT and BR the next day all 4 sections rinse and repeat.

I know high scorers who do 2 sections a day, BR the same day.

Ive done both, I think both are fine, currently Im just doing 2 timed sections a day, but thats convienent for ME because I want to crank out as many PTs as im testing soon. Maybe this early in your stage going slow, really understanding, and getting that BR score to consistent mid 170s is the best bet. Once your consistent BR score is higher than your goal score, you can start to really crank out the PTS.

TLDR - either way works, jsut make sure you BR extensivley.
    If i had to pick, I would say timed sections, and 1 full PT at the end of the week.

edited February 2020 2464 karma

thanks!

• Achen165Achen165 Member
    edited February 2020 656 karma

It is actually encouraged to take PTs in slightly distracting environments. I agree that this is frustrating and I also have had to relocate mid-test or even mid-section because of noisy surroundings which is incredibly annoying, like an inconsiderate person whipping out a cell phone and having a loud and animated conversation in the library. The goal is to build up your focus so that nothing can distract you on test day. I like taking PTs at the “Quiet” room of the library where there is some movement but minimal talking, so more like test day but around people so I’m not used to being alone in complete silence.

I advocate timed sections before full length tests at the advice of Steve Schwartz of The LSAT Blog/ LSAT Unplugged as well as Strategy Prep/ LSAT Demon. They say full length tests are more a measure of endurance a more final phase of timed practice...and that you should be able to review timed sections immediately following their completion. I personally find that review is much faster immediately upon completion than for a full test, because I have a better sense of my logical errors because I know why I was inclined to choose wrong answers and why I rejected the right one and I remember precisely what sort of timing errors I made when I am unable to attempt some questions. I have some sense of this when reviewing a full PT but it takes more time for me to do so, especially for RC. Timed sections are great for individual section pacing and timing errors to meet your goal of getting easier questions done in less time to save some time for harder ones. I can never extensively review a PT the same day that I take it...my sharpness isn’t at its peak after a 5 section exam. I can do LG the same day but reserve RC and LR for a subsequent day with fresh eyes.

You do need 3-5 tests to see where you stand, ideally the average of about 5 reflects your starting point.

Your BR score is great— I think you have high potential to make gains relatively quickly. A lot of your progress here on out relies on your reflections of what happens when you integrate time, assessing those errors, and making an effort to do improve your approach on subsequent PTs to hit your goal.

2464 karma

@Achen013 thanks for the detailed response and some very good points! appreciate it.