Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Method of Reasoning Question

dlstudy1dlstudy1 Alum Member

I'm constantly getting tripped up over some of the language in Method of Reasoning answer choices. Can someone dumb down the explanation of "an overly broad generalization" for me?

In my head, this is a statement about ALL of something based on ONE example. Whenever I see this in an answer choice I get really insecure and am hesitant. But because it "sounds good" and "applicable" I pick it under time pressure, which is not always the smartest thing to do.

Comments

• LogicianLogician Alum Member Sage
    edited February 2020 2464 karma

an overly broad generalization does not necessarily have to be based on the instance of one variable/example. I think a better way to interpret it is as basing a conclusion (or making a generalization) on something that is not justified (or something that is unfounded).

For instance if I told you that all soccer players are kind. Why? Well because Cindy and Tom are both kind and they play soccer. Just because SOME of them are kind, does not mean that ALL of them are. This is an over generalization i.e “an overly broad generalization”

Here’s another example. Most people say alcohol is bad for your liver. Yet my grandpa had 5 shots of vodka everyday since he was 21 years old. He is now 75 and his liver is in excellent condition. Clearly, alcohol is not bad for your liver.

• lexxx745lexxx745 Alum Member Sage
    3190 karma

Is there an example question you could give so it would make it easier to see your thought process?

• FindingSageFindingSage Alum Member
    2042 karma

Method of reasoning questions are something that have been a struggle with me. I found improvement by making sure I have a strong pre phrase before going into the answer choices which you know are designed to trap you.

Here is an example of a very simply overally broad generalization in simple argument form.

My dog loves water and is a great swimmer.
    Therfore, all dogs love water and are great swimmers.

Another one:

On Monday morning I dread going to work.
    Therfore, all working people must dread going to work on Monday mornings.