I feel like the highlight / underline tools just aren't worth it.

When I took the July test, I received a digital exam. I don't own a tablet, so prior to the exam I had practiced using the digital interface provided by LSAC but on a laptop (yes, this was before I had 7Sage - that was my first mistake!)

I guess I didn't think about the fact that highlighting / underlining is much easier when you can actually click or use a touch pad on a laptop than when you're using an unfamiliar tablet on the exam. Consequently, I spent a good bit of time in the RC section trying desperately to highlight and underline things since that was the method I was familiar with. This was another big mistake because RC is my toughest section to finish and that time lost was really valuable.

I'm retaking on the 22nd, and in my practice I've just decided that it isn't even worth it to try to highlight or emphasize things using the tools provided in the interface during the actual test and I've practiced with just doing my high / low res outlines on paper instead.

Has anyone else had this experience?

Comments

• OldLadyKOldLadyK Alum Member
    396 karma

Yes, I agree completely. I took it in November and found the tablet interface to be temperamental. I don't know how many seconds/minutes I wasted trying to touch and drag on the screen just right so I could highlight or underline something. I've been practicing simple notations on paper and I think it will save time in the end. It would be so much easier if LSAC could give us the ability to free-hand circle and underline information like JY does in video explanations.

• EveryCookCanGovernEveryCookCanGovern Alum Member
    401 karma

I would only refrain from highlighting blocks of text, with the exception of the main point. Instead highlight reference words, as sort of visual checkpoints you can use if you ever need to return to something briefly and therefore know where it will be.

• lexxx745lexxx745 Alum Member Sage
    3190 karma

i dont think its worth it either. I am a little worried as i like to highlights on AP part questions, and highlight the part that the qstem is asking about.

and tablets, its pretty hard to do, guess i should practice without it

• Michael.CincoMichael.Cinco Member Sage
    2116 karma

I only used the highlighter during logic games to check off the fact that I accounted for a rule during the initial set up. Otherwise I'm with you, theres no real benefit to using them.

• Plays No GamesPlays No Games Alum Member
    33 karma

I think I tried highlighting on one pt. I ended up highlighting the wrong lines or too much and it was a very distracting. I don’t highlight anything now.

• noonawoonnoonawoon Alum Member
    3481 karma

Can anyone else provide feedback on if they think the highlight function is too difficult to use?

I don't highlight much in PTs, but highlighting a few parts in RC passages both helps me stay focused and keep track of important ideas. But if the highlighting function is that hard to use I guess I would want to stop lol