Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should I quit my job?

student of thoughtstudent of thought Alum Member
in Off-topic 101 karma

I have a dilemma and am very torn on what I should do. As a background, I graduated with my bachelors in Spring of 2016 and have been working as a territory manager for a large company ever since. I make good money now, but know this is not a job or career I want to continue in. I have taken the LSAT twice now and increased my second score 6 points from the first and still do not feel as though I have plateaued or fully utilized the best methods in my past studies. Working full time makes it difficult to get all I want out of studying and creates a rigorous schedule. I am working full time and trying to get as much studying in as I can, but often feel burnt out.

My current schedule goes something like this:
Mon-Fri Work: 8am-430pm, Workout: 430 - 530pm, Study: 6pm - 9/10pm, Sleep: 10/11pm - 6am.
Sat/Sun Study: 4-5 hours.

I am basically trying to get as much studying in as I can while working full time but this schedule is monotonous and I often feel like a zombie with no free time or recalibration/relaxation time.

I am wondering if I should quit my job and focus on studying full time to get the most out of my potential LSAT score? I think this would be beneficial but am hesitant about leaving my company. With that being said, what is the trade off for a higher LSAT score and me leaving my job? Would admissions committees look down on my quitting my sales job and being unemployed to study full time? Is having a solid career on your resume for law school applications of any benefit? Does working and studying full time come off as more impactful, or a higher LSAT score while being unemployed? These are the reservations and questions that I have been battling, money is not the issue for me, I have a decent savings I could live off until I started law school.

If anyone has had this experience or has any advice at all, please share! I am open to any opinions or feedback at this point. PLEASE HELP!

Comments

• zaney learnerzaney learner Member
    65 karma

I am taking the LSAT in April for the first time. I got approved today to go part time for the next 2 months. My question would be do you think the scholarship money you would receive would be more than you would make in those months that you would be unemployed? That was my deciding factor and I was willing to have to quit if my company wouldn't let me go part time. Remember that no company wants to train someone new so that could be leverage.

• LogicianLogician Alum Member Sage
    2464 karma

If your'e looking to get the most potential out of your LSAT score, full-time studying would be the way to go. the trade-off, or opportunity cost of you quitting and studying full-time would be the potential money you'd acquire in the time it takes you to achieve your target score. From a purely financial perspective, the pay off is more than likely worth it as your ROI from law school will likely supplement your lost capital from your study period within a few years (assuming you don't take on too much debt). In terms of how admissions committees view someone quitting their job and studying full-time, well most if not all that iv'e heard from (all top 30) have said that it will not have a negative impact on your application whatsoever- they understand that this is a difficult test. Not to mention that you already have a solid 3 years of work experience under your belt! SO, the fact that you have both work experience and the financial ability to supplement your full-time studying, I'd say you go for it!

• lexxx745lexxx745 Alum Member Sage
    3190 karma

I agree, I think quitting isnt a horrible way to go, especially because the only real concern is money, which points on the LSAT can make up for.

The only thing is, if you are already able to get 3-4 hours of studying per day, how much more are you planning to do? I dont think you need to crank out 6 hours a day to get a really high score. Then again, maybe the stress off of work, and studying earlier instead of after working all day might increase your focus/performance.

• noonawoonnoonawoon Alum Member
    3481 karma

@zaney930 Do you mind if I ask what industry you work in?

• student of thoughtstudent of thought Alum Member
    101 karma

@Logician said:
    If your'e looking to get the most potential out of your LSAT score, full-time studying would be the way to go. the trade-off, or opportunity cost of you quitting and studying full-time would be the potential money you'd acquire in the time it takes you to achieve your target score. From a purely financial perspective, the pay off is more than likely worth it as your ROI from law school will likely supplement your lost capital from your study period within a few years (assuming you don't take on too much debt). In terms of how admissions committees view someone quitting their job and studying full-time, well most if not all that iv'e heard from (all top 30) have said that it will not have a negative impact on your application whatsoever- they understand that this is a difficult test. Not to mention that you already have a solid 3 years of work experience under your belt! SO, the fact that you have both work experience and the financial ability to supplement your full-time studying, I'd say you go for it!

Thank you for the advice! Very helpful and insightful. Another concern I have that I forgot to mention is that I am afraid if I quit, even if I am leaving under good terms, that my boss wouldn't want to write me a letter of recommendation. My boss really likes me and thinks I am doing a great job so I think it would blind side them if I put in my resignation. Thoughts on this?

101 karma

@lexxx745 said:
    I agree, I think quitting isnt a horrible way to go, especially because the only real concern is money, which points on the LSAT can make up for.

The only thing is, if you are already able to get 3-4 hours of studying per day, how much more are you planning to do? I dont think you need to crank out 6 hours a day to get a really high score. Then again, maybe the stress off of work, and studying earlier instead of after working all day might increase your focus/performance.

I would really like to focus on mastery of the test. Working full time and trying to cram in the 3 hours after work it doesn't always feel like I'm fully focused. I often feel like I am drained from work and like I a forcing myself to study more than I am excited to study and learn like I was when I started. Rushing around and trying to organize my days feels like a lot and that without breaks I am going through the motions or not fully engaged with what I am doing. I also feel like I am not getting great sleep balancing work, study and other activities.

• Iron-HanIron-Han Member
    184 karma

I’m also struggling with this. Ultimately I don’t think I could fully quit for financial reasons, but I have considered part-time. It’s hard to fit 3 hours a day after work when you’re already mentally drained, plus the gym, and getting enough sleep. Lately I’ve only been going to the gym on weekends as I often don’t get home until 6:30. This is a huge change for me. I’ve been trying to do some studying on my commute (I take the train) but it’s difficult. I’ve considered quitting and taking up a part-time job at the cafe down the road. You’re not alone in this, keep pushing through! Everything is temporary.

• procurerprocurer Alum Member
    8 karma

Unfortunately, I've also had to quit my job in order to dedicate as much studying as possible for the test and only when I've done so I've been able to significantly make progress. And while I'm sure there are some people who have the willpower and ability to juggle a job and study for the exam, if law school is what you want I still think it's worth the risk if it'll pay off with a good score. (Just make sure you'll be financially ok)

• corinneavc07-1corinneavc07-1 Alum Member
    74 karma

I felt exactly how you feel and have the same work schedule as you. My work schedule is 8:30 - 5 or sometimes I come in early to do 7:30 - 4. My study schedule was the same as yours except I would study for 1 hour before work started if I went in at 8:30. Coming home after a long 8 hours to study for 3 or 4 hours is difficult especially if you already feel mentally drained from your job, which I did. This schedule made me feel extremely mentally exhausted and I would get burnt out very quickly when studying. I would frequently take breaks which some were longer than they should have been and probably unnecessary as well. I wasn't seeing any improvements and my focus and performance really sucked. So I recently switched my full-time schedule to part-time for 2 months Feb. and March. Now my schedule is:

Wake up @6
    Workout for 30 minutes
    Study LR (blind review & write out explanations) 7-9
    Work 10-2
    Drill LR questions 4-5
    LG (foolproof) 6-8
    RC 8:30-10:30

I started this schedule on February 3rd and the first week I developed a positive attitude and outlook when studying. Now I feel excited to study. I do not dread having to wake up early nor am I dreading to study after work. I am doing everything untimed for now until I feel I have mastered LR. Sometime in March I will start to take timed practiced sections throughout the week and will take full PT on the weekends. I thought about quitting as well, but then I thought that would be too much time on my hands and I may not use it constructively.

• TheresaAnnTheresaAnn Member
    109 karma

I think these are all good suggestions, it just really depends on the type of person you are. I work full time and am lucky enough to have a job I can fit in a half hour section of LR in every day, and possibly more time depending on the day. Try to do it whenever you have a minute, on your lunch break etc. I made some huge life changes the same time I started taking PT's. I joined a gym with 45 minute work outs and have been waking up at 4:30 every morning for the 5:00 session. This allows me to have a minute to relax after getting home from work, eat, and study. It sounds crazy, I have never been a morning person but I was really determined to make a change. After a few tough weeks I now have more energy and my mind is so much more clear, I have been eating well too. I think to study effectively and have a full-time job it is essential to be on top of your game physically and your brain will follow. I have been doing this for a month and literally have increased my score ten points, I know I would not have been able to do this without the changes I made, mainly waking up in the morning. I also have read a lot of comments on making a routine in which you are ready in the morning to take a test. Every Saturday morning I go to a 6am workout and start a PT at 8 (a common time for the real deal). I have made sure to make time in my busy schedule to do well at work, work out every day, track my nutrition, and study. Seeing physical results has also given me confidence overall and during my PT's. I know I would waste time if I wasn't working, that's the type of person I am. This way I utilize every minute of my day.

109 karma

Also, the best part about this is the moment I get done with my PT on Saturday (around 11am) I am free. I enjoy the rest of the day, I have a cheat meal and a beer. I hang out with my husband and take my dog to the park or see friends. These are truly my favorite days, and I would not appreciate them as much if I didn't work so hard during the week. Sunday I sleep in, maybe go to church and BR in the afternoon. I haven't burnt out and I my weekends are the reason.

• elevator_musicelevator_music Core Member
    151 karma

As someone who is in a similar position (albeit my hours are less traditional), I would say if you're not in a rush to apply to law school in the immediate future (say you are willing to wait out at least another cycle) then studying for two hours a night Mon-Thurs and maybe 3-4 hours on Saturday and Sunday should give you enough time to boost your score and give you at least one night a week to just do you and recharge. But that is only if you can get good quality of study. Ultimately, quality of study trumps quantity. The upside of this is that you don't have to worry about your finances in the meantime but also if you quit your job that might contribute significantly to your levels of stress if you don't see the immediate boost in your scores despite quitting your job. I would definitely assess the upsides of both options and maybe form a backup plan in case you absolutely do not see the gains over the next few months. As for your manager, I think if you are well liked they will understand if you want to take a leave/quit and still be willing to write you a good rec letter.

• 242 karma

I think after a few hours a day, studying for the LSAT is pointless. You need to let your brain absorb the material and file it. Go with the long game instead of trying to cram it all in.

101 karma

I have also recently started volunteering for a law firm on top of my work and study schedule to help give me some experience and strengthen my interest and resume in the field. This opportunity only requires you to volunteer a minimum of 4 hours per month, but also you can volunteer as much as you want. So if I left my job, I could dedicated the additional time I pick up to learning and gaining this valuable experience.

Another issue of concern is the politics of corporate America. I have a really great relationship with my boss right and and I mentioned going back to school and if she would write me a letter of rec. She said yes, but I think she was under the opinion I meant MBA and staying with the company while going to school. If I blindside my boss with a resignation I am afraid they will be blindsided and not want to write me the letter. I know this may sound crazy if you have a good relationship and they want to see you succeed, but another large Fortune 500 company I worked for thought less of you for leaving (even when you left on good terms and for good reason) because they acted like you were leaving the best opportunity of your life and no matter what you were doing now you were a fool for leaving. This happened to many people I know from that company and I don't want that to happen!!! THOUGHTS?!?

• Mike_RossMike_Ross Alum Member Sage
    3106 karma

Hey! Just want to offer some perspective here:

I ran two businesses while studying throughout an 18 month period. Still managed my dream score at the end

Like you, I studied 3-4 hours a night on weekdays. About 6-8, sometimes 10-12 hours on weekends. Sure it was tough but I found ways to embrace the grind.

(1) the LSAT is clear, compared to the messiness of life. I mean: in life, you can do the correct thing and yet be wrong. There’s so much grey. In LSAT, there are 4 incorrect answers and 1 correct one.

(2) I loved the LSAT. It was so much fun! Even if it didn’t feel that way at first, I found a way to make it fun once I discovered 7Sage. Making it an escape from work really helped me appreciate the journey

(3) Rituals! I can’t state enough how important it was to practice rituals that helped transition from study to work. I would make LSAT time sacred. No matter what, I wouldn’t compromise. I came home at a certain time, had dinner, drank a cup of green tea, then mediated for 5-10 mins before jumping into warm ups, then the sections for the day. Eventually it was a combination of LG-LR-1RC passage. It really helped me get into the right frame of mind to hit the books!

I’m saying all this to share that you don’t necessarily have to quit, to get the most from your studies. It might take longer but it’s all worth it. I had to also invest in tutors to help me study smarter and I really think this helped me safe time that could’ve been wasted going down a wrong road.

Treat your LSAT prep as an investment for your future!

• Mike_RossMike_Ross Alum Member Sage
    3106 karma

Btw, feel free to PM me any time! Best of luck!

• caw8tzzzcaw8tzzz Alum Member
    135 karma

@"student of thought" If you are going to resign, then I would advise trying to get a letter of recommendation from your boss as soon as possible. Your boss has already said she will write you a letter, so tell her what the letter is for, why you are so interested in law school, and how this job has prepared you for law school. If you have a good relationship with your boss, then she will likely write a letter of recommendation regardless of whether or not you are going to an MBA program or law school. I would ask for a letter of rec and get the letter before you resign and if you are open about wanting to go to law school, then your boss shouldn't be too surprised when you do leave because you have already told her that you have aspirations outside of this particular company.

• Mister PopoMister Popo Alum Member
    38 karma

I'm on the same boat as you, I finished my undergrad in 2017 and have worked since then. I work full-time and have roughly the same study schedule as you. I'm writing the LSAT for the first time in April and I'm worried part-time studying isn't enough. Everyone keeps saying that if I want this that bad I need to sacrifice something for it... For now, I am choosing to have my cake and eat it too. But I might regret this decision when I get my score :)

65 karma

@noonawoon said:
    @zaney930 Do you mind if I ask what industry you work in?

I work in Human Resources

65 karma

@"Ayesha A" said:
    I'm on the same boat as you, I finished my undergrad in 2017 and have worked since then. I work full-time and have roughly the same study schedule as you. I'm writing the LSAT for the first time in April and I'm worried part-time studying isn't enough. Everyone keeps saying that if I want this that bad I need to sacrifice something for it... For now, I am choosing to have my cake and eat it too. But I might regret this decision when I get my score :)

Glad to see someone else is taking the LSAT in April, best of luck!

• Climb_to_170Climb_to_170 Alum Member
    426 karma

As someone who recently quit their job to study full-time until the March LSAT, I cannot tell you how much clearer my brain is without the burden of my job. I had a very similar schedule to you while working a very mentally-draining job (strict deadlines, multiple projects, etc.). I would only study on weekends and sometimes during the week, if possible. I got to a point where my study time was severely affected by how mentally exhausted I was from work and I was no longer improving.

For reference, I went from a 144 diagnostic to averaging around a 164 (who's going to complain about a 20 point increase?) over the course of a year. During this time, I was taking undergraduate classes, working full-time, and studying for the LSAT. While I agree with the others who point out that improvement with little to no time is possible, I know I needed extra time to take my progress to the level I need it to be.

I'm on Day 2 of full-time studying and everything seems so clear and so free. Everyone is different but I know at the end of the day, I am financial stable from my job and I want to be a lawyer. You have to prioritize your wants and needs and make a choice at some point in your life. I looked at it this way: I would rather receive a subpar score on the most important test of my life knowing I gave it everything I had than get a good score knowing I didn't.

• a_potatoa_potato Alum Member
    21 karma

@TheresaAnn said:
    Also, the best part about this is the moment I get done with my PT on Saturday (around 11am) I am free. I enjoy the rest of the day, I have a cheat meal and a beer. I hang out with my husband and take my dog to the park or see friends. These are truly my favorite days, and I would not appreciate them as much if I didn't work so hard during the week. Sunday I sleep in, maybe go to church and BR in the afternoon. I haven't burnt out and I my weekends are the reason.

Girl, just wanted to say DAMN. Good on you for keeping to that schedule and thank you for sharing! I'm going to give it a try myself.

• chisal17chisal17 Alum Member
    289 karma

if you do take time off, you need to make sure you set yourself up with a schedule and follow it. i've seen this go wrong too many times. Set goals, keep track of your progress, and have a daily to do list to stay on task!

109 karma

@a_potato

Girl, just wanted to say DAMN. Good on you for keeping to that schedule and thank you for sharing! I'm going to give it a try myself.

It tough to get into but once you make it a habit you won't stop! Mentally, my routine has made all the difference. I have other things to think about during the day other than the LSAT when I'm not studying. Stay strong, push your discipline farther than you ever have before and you will reach your full potential. DM me if you need advice or motivation!