Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Disclose Juvenile Class C Misdemeanor?

marycammarycam Free Trial Member

When I was 14, I got caught stealing a pair of shorts from Sears in Texas (EXTREMELY STUPID, I know). I paid my fine and I did my time in community service. It took me a long time to move past this and I thought I had. Now, I am incredibly disheartened that some of my law school apps SPECIFICALLY state that I must disclose expunged juvenile records. I would hate for something I did 10 years ago to bar me from attending law school. I know people say that as long as I am honest, it should not affect my admittance, but I find that hard to believe. Why wouldn't a school look at my record and reject it when there are so many other applicants?

I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this? If an application DOESN'T specifically ask to disclose juvenile records should I still disclose or no? Would it be bad to disclose to schools who ask specifically and not others? I am fully aware this will come up in the bar I just feel very disheartened by this. Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• LogicianLogician Alum Member Sage
    2464 karma

I’d definitely err on the side of caution and always disclose it. With that being said, your question does raise a good point, don’t people have implicit biases? While I don’t doubt that it may have some effect (despite them saying it doesn’t) I think if you really focus on the positive and how you grew from that situation you can really turn it into a strength rather than a potential weakness. Remember, law schools are looking for people, and people make mistakes, it’s how we pick ourselves up and move forward from these mistakes that matter. If people with DUI’s can get in, something you did when you were 14 seems rather insignificant. But hey, that’s just my opinion. Another thing to note, honesty IS ALWAYS the best policy (imagine how much worse it would look if you don’t disclose it and they find out).

Good luck!

• JDream2025JDream2025 Alum Member
    996 karma

I would build on this weakness instead of letting it deter you. You were 14, a juvenile who didn’t know any better. I believe law school applications allow you to explain and this is where you can pour your heart out and state how this has set your straight.

• lexxx745lexxx745 Alum Member Sage
    3190 karma

Tough question. I think eventually itll come up, might as well be the one to disclose it

• JDream2025JDream2025 Alum Member
    996 karma

Hey, I came across this article and thought of you:

https://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2020/02/18/harvard-law-school-stockton-student/