Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gap between LSAT and Law School

Hi! I am about to graduate college and I have a great job lined up afterwards. I have always known I want to go to law school so I am studying for my LSAT now and hope to take it the summer before I start working. With that being said, there will likely be a 2 year gap in between my LSAT and when I apply to law schools. Will admissions care about that gap? Thanks

Comments

• ilovethelsatilovethelsat Member
    348 karma

Hi! I don't think anyone can definitively say if law school admissions will "care" or not because it depends on many factors (what ends up happening/what you do during those 2 years, what law schools you apply to, how well your job ties into your narrative of why you want to go to law school, etc.). Having said that, the general attitude among law schools towards taking time off in between college and law school is positive. I graduated in May 2019 and am taking 2 years off myself before going back to school, but that's also because I plan to apply for a dual degree, so work experience is a must in my case. But I can tell you that I've been to many law school fairs and spoken to many law school admissions officers, as well as friends who are currently in law school, people I know who went to law school, and admissions experts, and they all seem to agree that it's a good idea to take time off. In fact, many of the admissions officers I spoke to said that they ENCOURAGE people to take time off for many reasons: gaining maturity and real-life experience, making sure law school is what you want to do, becoming financially stable, doing things (like traveling) that you probably won't have much time for afterwards, etc. As long as you are spending those 2 years doing something you enjoy and care about and that also looks good on your resume, then not only will law schools not care about the gap, but it should actually work to your advantage. It sounds like your job is really great, so I'm sure that if you enjoy it and try to get as much out of it as you can, that will come across in your law school applications. But once again, everyone's experience is individualistic and subjective. As much standardization as there is in the admissions process (ex: LSAT lol), know that your path is your and ONLY your path. Law school admissions know that 100%. Congrats on almost graduating!! This is an exciting time for sure - enjoy it!

• Thank you so much! That is very encouraging. I am taking the LSAT now because I am still in studying mode due to school and to ensure it is not something that would prevent me from applying two years from now. Sounds like you have a great path ahead of you!

• lexxx745lexxx745 Alum Member Sage
    3190 karma

I dont think taking time off is a negative. Results wise, there does seem to be hella K-JDs at law schools

• Hopeful9812Hopeful9812 Member
    edited March 2020 872 karma

I don't think they will care as long as you can justify that gap. In your case a job is a perfect justification. Congrats on graduating & the job!!

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

I think it's normal and they'll like to see the work experience.