Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Burned Out?

lexxx745lexxx745 Alum Member Sage
edited March 2020 in General 3190 karma

For those that have been studying for a long time, can anyone give tips or what it looks like to feel burned out? Im not sure if im burned out or just lazy or what. Recently have just been feeling really drained doing LSAT questions. Usually ill really enjoy studying but lately not so much.

Comments

• dcstyles51dcstyles51 Alum Member
    320 karma

I think that being burned out is different for everyone, but here's what happens to me. I'll dread doing more problem sets, and then with that comes sloppiness. I'll read the questions halfheartedly and then answer whatever and if I get the answer wrong I'll just gloss over the right answer instead of analyzing it. I don't really care about studying, but just mindlessly plugging in answer choices I feel are right. I'm usually quick to recognize this though and just take a bit of a break from studying after that.

If you're feeling drained doing questions and studying, that sounds like being burned out to me. Maybe a break would be a good idea if you could find time to set aside for self care?

• Hopeful9812Hopeful9812 Member
    872 karma

That sounds like burnout to me. Burnout is typically marked by emotional exhaustion (also depersonalization and feelings of low personal accomplishment). Take a few days off from studying for the LSAT and then get back at it. In the meantime, do something else that you really enjoy- e.g., reading, watching movies, cooking/baking, working out, etc.

• lexxx745lexxx745 Alum Member Sage
    3190 karma

@dcstyles51 said:
    I think that being burned out is different for everyone, but here's what happens to me. I'll dread doing more problem sets, and then with that comes sloppiness. I'll read the questions halfheartedly and then answer whatever and if I get the answer wrong I'll just gloss over the right answer instead of analyzing it. I don't really care about studying, but just mindlessly plugging in answer choices I feel are right. I'm usually quick to recognize this though and just take a bit of a break from studying after that.

If you're feeling drained doing questions and studying, that sounds like being burned out to me. Maybe a break would be a good idea if you could find time to set aside for self care?

Does a break imply not doing any LSAT at all? like no LG or anything

• lexxx745lexxx745 Alum Member Sage
    3190 karma

@Hopeful9812 said:
    That sounds like burnout to me. Burnout is typically marked by emotional exhaustion (also depersonalization and feelings of low personal accomplishment). Take a few days off from studying for the LSAT and then get back at it. In the meantime, do something else that you really enjoy- e.g., reading, watching movies, cooking/baking, working out, etc.

Would you still recommend this knowing im testing in March? To me taking a few days off when testing is 30 days away idk id feel so guilty

• cooljon525-1-1cooljon525-1-1 Alum Member
    917 karma

Anytime I tried to study lsat, i would go on my phone and waste so much time. I would make up any excuse not to study or take PTs. Later on when I took a few weeks off, it unfortunately became worse. It was so hard to get back into studying after living a life for 2 weeks without lsat.

• dcstyles51dcstyles51 Alum Member
    edited March 2020 320 karma

@lexxx745
    Yeah, taking a break for me means just cutting off all LSAT studying for a bit of time. For me I did a week. I'm also testing in March, but recently I felt so burnt out so I took a week off. I came back and felt way more refreshed and was doing better not only on the studying aspect but also on my PTs. While it may seem counter-intuitive to take a break right before the LSAT, the last thing you're going to want come test day is to feel the emotional and physical exhaustion that comes with burning out.

• Hopeful9812Hopeful9812 Member
    872 karma

@lexxx745 yes, I would still recommend taking a few days off even though you are testing this month. Good luck!!

• OldLadyKOldLadyK Alum Member
    396 karma

Definitely take a few days off. You'll be glad you did when you come back to it.

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

One thing you might try is a smaller study workload on some days. I hope this helps.