LG - Substitution Question (#Help)

in Logic Games 776 karma

Hey 7sagers,

Right now in the -1 to -0 range in LG (Full proofed 30 - 60). However, the substitution LG question stem in the 60+ test seems to get me. Do folks have any recommendations on how to attack it? Any patterns they see? Any book recommendations to read on this?

Thanks for the advice in advance.... :)

Comments

• lsatplaylistlsatplaylist Member
    5249 karma

Nathan Fox's Quick Guide to the LSAT (small green book) discusses a question like this and it has helped me somewhat with them.

• Michael.CincoMichael.Cinco Member Sage
    edited March 2020 2116 karma

There is a video by JY in the CC that explains them succinctly. https://7sage.com/lesson/substitution-and-equivalence-theory/ (Added by Admin).

What I have noticed is if the rules involved are connected to other rules via conditional logic there are often short cuts that can be made in which an equivalent inference is the correct answer.

Failing that it's a POE excercise where you eliminate based on AC's being overly inclusive or overly exclusive.

• 776 karma

Thanks for the help...

@"Michael.Cinco" - any examples you could share?

• Michael.CincoMichael.Cinco Member Sage
    2116 karma

@Trusttheprocess said:
    Thanks for the help...

@"Michael.Cinco" - any examples you could share?

There are a few but PT83 Game 3 comes quickly to mind.

I highly recommend doing that game as a litmus test for your understanding of conditionality.

• SamiSami Live Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    edited March 2020 10774 karma

@Trusttheprocess said:
    Hey 7sagers,

Right now in the -1 to -0 range in LG (Full proofed 30 - 60). However, the substitution LG question stem in the 60+ test seems to get me. Do folks have any recommendations on how to attack it? Any patterns they see? Any book recommendations to read on this?

Thanks for the advice in advance.... :)

Hey!

So I first like to start with eliminating any answer choice that eliminates a world/create restrictions not present in our original game board. For example, let's say an answer choice restricts one of the variables to spot 1,2, and 3, but you know that variable can also be in spot 4, you need to eliminate that answer.
    -Usually this step will eliminate at least 3 answer choices, sometimes even four. If it eliminates four, pick the one left over and move on.

If it eliminates only three, you will have to do some bit of work here. I like to take the answer choice I am leaning towards, and add other rules to it to see if it creates the same restrictions and game board. If it does not, eliminate the answer. If it creates the same world, pick it and move on.

If the first step only eliminated two answer choices, take a second to see which answer choice you are leaning towards and do the extra work for that one first. If there are too many answer choices left, you want to skip this question and come back at the end.

For example for PT 71, Game 3, question 16, you will see that first doing just the first step will eliminate 3 answer choices. Then if you plug in your other rules from the game to each of the two left, you will see only one of them creates the world that is created by your original game board.

If you have done this PT, try these steps on it or try it on another PT and let me know how that goes.

• 776 karma

Thanks Sami for this .... will try this for sure and get back to you!