Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is my target attainable within a year?

shannon_beaman1shannon_beaman1 Alum Member
in General 157 karma

So, I never actually took a “cold” diagnostic test. I have just recently joined started using 7sage and feel like I’ve wasted the last month and a half of how I’ve been studying. I used LSATMAX for about a month and during that time, got a 148 diagnostic without a sufficient understanding for really any section.

About 2 weeks later I took another diagnostic and got a 152. I was feeling a little bit more confident on each section (especially LR) and definitely improved, but I still didn’t feel as confident as I should have.

My problem is, I have recently made the switch to 7sage because I just thoroughly don’t enjoy the teaching methods of LSATMAX, and I also have just heard great things about 7sage. So, I guess my question is, should I look at my starting score as a 152? Or should it be more around the 148? I’m only asking because I see frequently that people say most students increase their score by 8-12 points, and with my target score being a 160, knowing what to call my “starting score” will either give me some reassurance that it’s possible, or realizing that it may not be in reach.

I am also just kind of curious on if I should skip over certain lessons on 7sage that I know I have a decent understanding in? Mainly, sufficient and necessary. I drilled this a ton and feel like I know a lot about it (sufficient word indicators and necessary word indicators etc) so I feel like I should dedicate more time to the actual question types.

I am also really concerned with the study schedule. It seems impossible for me at this point in my life to study for 30 hours a week when I am currently still in school. I’ve typically done about 10-15 hours a week, just depending on how much homework I have over the weekends.

Sorry for the lengthy post, just super stressed:(

Comments

• SandwichelleSandwichelle Alum Member
    234 karma

Hi Shannon, for what it worth, from me, I think you're off to a great start. Both of the scores you received in the beginning are good! In fact, lot of the "sages" had scores right around 150 to start, and they improved significantly! I personally think you should go through the entire curriculum. I think there's a method to the way the curriculum builds on itself. Don't be stressed! You got this! If you want to study together just message me!
    Best, Heather

• shannon_beaman1shannon_beaman1 Alum Member
    157 karma

Thank you so much!!!

• EagerestBeaverEagerestBeaver Alum Member
    703 karma

Is it possible? Yes. As mentioned above, many of the top LSAT minds around here started at a similar score range. As you mentioned in your last sentence, you are stressed about this. While the LSAT as a whole is a super nerve inducing process. Do your best to be in the best mental space possible. No matter what material or service you are using to study. If you are putting in time just to put in time, if you are mentally not 100% engaged, or don't feel like your prep is entirely in the correct direction, take a break. Nothing worse than expending all that energy and resources to discover that you were walking in circles.

Get a consultation with one of the approved tutors just to get a plan in place to make sure you are walking the right path.

• lexxx745lexxx745 Alum Member Sage
    3190 karma

I think its possible! You cant come in already feeling stressed though when your prep has barely started. Its going to be a long road ahead

• alumivacuialumivacui Alum Member
    212 karma

So, I'm kind of privileged in this sense. . . I've been around for a couple years. I started, uhm, following 7sage long before I actually began studying for the LSAT. Point being. . . I've had the privilege of watching the process of many of the "Sages" whine... cry... and struggle mentally during their studying phases. I've seen the several of the sages absolutely HARD STUCK on a certain question type. . . certain section. . . and several of the sages absolutely defeated when they felt they couldn't grow any further.

My point? We're human. Not all of us are born with innate gifts. Hell. Odds are, if you're here, you weren't. I have found that people (including myself) get so so so caught up on the "score range that I can improve" ... "8-12 points on average"... well... I've recently been informed (I think I secretly knew this) that it's a ridiculous way of thinking. WHY??

IF the LSAT is out of ~102 questions. . . why aren't we aiming to get 102 questions right? or 90? or 80? why are we measuring our 'success' by a scaled score? Because that's the end score we are given. But that end score isn't going to help us improve DURING. Focus on your sections. . . if you're getting 15 right... strive for 16. once you get 16 get 17. Because realistically. . . My friend my this point grossly clear. The difference between him getting a 168 on one test and a 172 on another. . . was TWO QUESTIONS. TWO. Every sage, every high scorer, every tutor I've spoken to, they've all told me the same thing. Focus on the little victories. Because realistically. . . the difference between a 148 or 152 and a 160 ... really isn't that many questions.

I've found myself so fixated on 'score' that it's become toxic to me. Yes, it can be a motivator. But, yes, it can also be an inhibitor. Find your rhythm. Create a routine. Become comfortable. Find study partners (in-person or online). And, most importantly, invest yourself. Leave nothing on the table. Put your heart and soul into it. Become obsessed. Become fixated. Think about what you've learnt in everything you read. Everything you do. Think about the LSAT so much that you dream about it. Do this, and I guarantee you will come out with a score that you're proud of.

We are a community. Use us. Abuse us. Talk with us. Message people. Have no shame.
    We are all striving for greatness and greatness is never achieved alone. <3

• kubicatekubicate Member
    14 karma

I wrote the September 2019 LSAT and started studying for it in early August. Everyone is different with how much time they need-- I had a full course load and still managed to complete one practice LSAT every evening and would blind review the following morning before classes and maintained a high GPA. I had never felt more pressure in my life-- so I know what you are saying. But I am here to motivate you a bit-- or try to!
    Now.. as for score. I also started around 150. One week before the LSAT test day I was averaging around 155... nowhere near my target of 160. It is really important that you are testing yourself under test-day conditions. During that last week, I started drilling logic games like crazy because that was my last hope at improving my score quickly... I did not do anymore practice tests. You can speed up the time limit on this program so that you can really push yourself to complete the games faster (it helped tremendously!). Just by doing about 20 games (with blind review) for six days before the LSAT was enough to get me a 159 on the actual LSAT-- and I was just offered admission at three Canadian law schools, one of them being my dream school!
    Point of this is that it sounds like you know where your strengths are, so if you are looking for real improvement just start drilling the sections you are weakest on :) Drill hard. I found skipping a day or two without practicing ruined my progress. Consistent practice makes perfect.
    Remember, don't compare your progress to that of others-- I was making the entire process more stressful than it had to be because I was aware other people had been studying for years whereas I only had a month and a half. Remember that other people have different LSAT score goals than you as well. Everyone is unique, and if you start pretending that the test is three days away, your studying could become a lot more focused! Fear is the best motivator!