Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What to do.

tahopgtahopg Alum Member
in General 15 karma

I am signed up for the LSAT 27 days from now, I scored a 142 this past October, the previous time i took the test was the October before that and i recieved a 141. Now today I took a Prep Test and my score is still 142. To get into one of my schools of choice, the dean of the school said i would need about a 146 or 147. I have been practicing for 3-5 hours every weekday since January 1st. But my score refuses to go up. I'm stuck and i have no clue where to go from here. Every time i score the same as before my confidence takes a shot. I feel hopeless. I redid 50% of the core curriculum and am going to continue the rest of it, but my LR hasn't improved. My Blind review gets worse sometimes, and i never feel as if i got the answer wrong in the first place. All of my sections are roughly the same score 11ish maybe 12 right in a section. What is my course of action. I'm taking the test no matter what, but is it too late to make improvements to my score

Comments

• 776 karma

hey,
    a few questions:
    1) whats your lsat goal?
    2) how are you doing in RC?
    3) how much of the CC have you finished?

will DM you shorlty. I remmeber being in your boat....

cheers

• lexxx745lexxx745 Alum Member Sage
    3190 karma

Whats your score on games?

• My friend, it is evident that you are just not understanding the concepts. It is time for you to change your studying method. Keep reworking the problems that you have gotten wrong in the past. Do you really know why you got them wrong? Can you explain why you got it wrong? Do you redo games over and over until perfection?

• Hopeful9812Hopeful9812 Member
    872 karma

I agree with the above comments. In addition, start making a journal of every question that you are getting wrong and write explanations for those questions. Put the explanations in your own words. Don't worry about time initially, do some untimed drills where you do/review questions that you are struggling with. For logic games, for every question you get incorrect- redo the entire game several times until you feel like you've mastered the games. If you're having a hard time with RC, do untimed section drills. Write out the main point of each passage and ask yourself how this paragraph that I just read relates to the previous paragraph and to the passage as a whole? If it is the first paragraph, ask yourself, what can I anticipate the author might do. These questions may help you stay engaged with the passage. For every RC passage, also try to pick out the author's tone, other people's viewpoints, and organization/structure. Good luck!

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

I think in addition to the above, lots of timed work and maybe a tutor and/or a student study pal. Some people have started in the 130s and after a lot of work, they got very high scores. Don't give up.

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

Sorry, I meant untimed work. :)

• OldLadyKOldLadyK Alum Member
    396 karma

Not knowing your particular study habits, I can only stress how important it is to get the fundamentals down and practice each concept fully until you are proficient. Taking personal notes from the videos, practicing every question given, taking every quiz and blind reviewing, etc. Anything that feels overwhelming or confusing deserves extra attention and review. I took the LSAT in November after a few months of self-study and got a score only slightly higher than yours. Once I started the 7sage CC I realized how unprepared I had been and I've made great improvements, but only by diligently following the curriculum and being proactive. If you feel you've exhausted all those study options, a tutor could definitely help. If after testing in a few weeks you find you need to take it again, I would suggest that you not register for another take until your PT scores are consistently at or exceeding your goal. Keep working at it and don't get discouraged. Good luck and I wish you all the best on your journey!

• kubicatekubicate Member
    14 karma

JY always says that LG is the section that people most improve on. For me that was the case as well. I was scoring -6 to -8 on each section, averaging an LSAT practice score of 154. My LSAT score improved to 159 on test day (September 2019 LSAT-- I just got admitted to my target school) just from drilling LG. Try that. Make sure you can do timed sections of LG within the time and score -0. It makes a big difference.
    If you get a few questions in a game wrong, you need to redo the game until you start getting all of it right. Always do blind review for the games, and instead of watching JY's videos on how to complete it, try figuring it out where you went wrong first.
    Chin up.
    I found for LR, when I first started studying I was not paying enough attention to what I was reading. Focus on the actual content of the message more than looking for clues. Once you start paying close attention to what the passages are saying, the clues as to what question type it is will stick out to you. ALWAYS find the authors main point of the passage. Pretend every single question type is a main point question so you can QUICKLY identify it, and then adjust accordingly as to what question type it is.
    Hope that helps!