Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tips for a new 7Sager

in General 246 karma

Hi Everyone! Just wanted to get some advice as I am new to 7Sage. As my name implies I definitely want to score in the 99thpercentile. I have already been doing pretty well overall. In LR for example I am able to always narrow it down to two answer choices, but struggle to pick the right one. LG is mostly working out the timing issues, as on blind review I came almost always go minus 0 to minus 1, sometimes minus 2. In addition, I have struggled with timing on every section. As I just finished up the the first lessons before moving into main point question types, I found myself doing the questions without consciously looking for all of the referential phrases, comparative statements, context of the argument etc etc. After realizing I needed to be applying what I am learning to improve, I found once I did this I was obviously very slow. I wanted to gain two to three things from this post. First, what was everyone else's experience, especially those who had taken another prep course, like after they had gone through the initial lessons and then started applying the first basic steps. Did you just start the main point questions and go super slow until all of these skills became second nature? Even though I have gotten all of the questions right, I dont want to not apply what I am learning, because I 'll just be wasting my time if I keep doing what I did in the past. Second, what have you guys done to overcome timing issues? And lastly, after having listened to the 7sage podcast, I noticed a common thread of people was to get heavily involved in teaching and in being involved in the forums. My question is: what is the best way to do that? Is it simply to just go through the different questions posed here and writing explanations? Just curious to see what you guys are finding is working best to help improve your score and your overall mastery of the LSAT. Thank you all so much for you time and input in advance!

Comments

• This_is_HardThis_is_Hard Alum Member
    edited March 2020 815 karma

Hi welcome to 7Sage, this is one of the best communities I've been apart of related to LSAT prep/help.

I initially prepped with really bad prep books like Kaplan, than switched to The LSAT Trainer which was decent, but I still saw little improvement. I didn't seriously make gains until I found 7Sage and learn question specific strategies paired with an adequate amount of drilling. I am currently going through the CC and what I find helps is making paper notes for the strategies J.Y. teaches for specific question types or theories like Lawgic, valid argument forms, etc. I periodically review these notes.

For each module, I go through the module theory, quizzes, do all the example questions, and do 1 to 3 problem sets leaving a few problem sets to come back to at another time (typically a couple weeks) for review. I star any example questions I get wrong and review these questions from time to time.

Also, I sometimes look at the comments under example questions or theory to see other perspectives. I ask for help for a question I do not know and/or I try to help out sometimes by answering questions or posting my own solution or interpretation of the discussed topic/question in the comments section.

When one of J.Y's free P.T section breakdowns and/or Sami's free tutoring sessions (or any other person) become available, attend one of these. As you can get a real sense of what other students are experiencing and the typical problems we all face. I attended Sami's recent one and it was relieving to hear many students have similar issues that I thought were unique to myself.

Hope this helps.

• 1058 karma

I started out my LSAT studies by going through a PowerScore course, the Bibles and workbooks. My score actually declined over 5 months using PowerScore until I discovered 7Sage. For LR especially, I had to practice forgetting PS’s methods and applying 7Sage’s. I did this by reusing PTs and going though them untimed for a while. One thing I love about 7Sage is how they protect the more recent exams so you can save them for practice tests. With PowerScore, I ended burning through quite a lot of recent PTs. So anytime I need to practice strategies, I try to just reuse problems or sections I have seen in the past.

Explaining your thought process to others can help too. I’ve actually pulled my family members aside to explain problems to them. Thankfully, we are an academic-minded family.

• 776 karma

My biggest tip is that you have to appreciate and respect the journey you are about to embark on - its truly going to be life changing in some regards. Find a family member/friend to be your back bone when times are going to tough - and believe me it will happen.

Remember you have to crawl - walk and then run. Likewise, in the LSAT studying world it is the same thing. Take your time - dont rush or cut corners in the process.

• 246 karma

Thank you to everyone for taking the time to comment. I greatly appreciate it.