Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is considered a "drop" in grades?

Hi all! I hope everyone is safe and healthy during these times!

If for my last semester, I received an A- in a class while I previously received all A's, is this considered a 'drop' in my grades? (The A- was for an intro to digital photography class which is graded very subjectively)

Also, I took a class for pass/no pass and received a pass for the class in the same semester. Will this negatively affect me in admissions?

Thanks for your help!

Comments

• The JudgesThe Judges Free Trial Member
    364 karma

I think you are good

• jmarmaduke96jmarmaduke96 Member Sage
    2891 karma

I agree, think you are fine. One A- in a field of As will not make much of a difference, it certainly won't qualify as a "drop in grades." I think the only reason that it might make a difference would be if that A- brought you below a school's median GPA. However, if I am reading your post correctly, you had a 4.0 before the A-. Even schools like Yale and Harvard do not have median GPAs so high that getting a single A- will put you below median.

As far as the pass/fail class, that shouldn't hurt you either. You passed the class, which was the best mark for the class that you could have received. No worries there!

• 142 karma

@jmarmaduke96 Thanks for your response! I meant "all A's before" as in the past three years haha I wish I had a 4.0... My lsac gpa is currently mid–3.8, so I was just worried that an A- might look bad for the last semester. Hopefully it's okay...

• lexxx745lexxx745 Alum Member Sage
    3190 karma

Pass no pass isnt a problem. Even Ws arent a problem lol its all about gpa. Idk if you have Ws but many law schools say up to 3 Ws is fine.

For everything else, the rule is about how it affects ur gpa

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

This sounds fine to me. It's still a high-GPA contributing grade.