Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Opinion Poll: Arrow Key Shortcuts

Alan Cheuk-2Alan Cheuk-2 Administrator
edited March 2020 in General 3074 karma

Right now, the arrow keys on 7Sage are shortcuts to go to the previous or next lesson/explanation. On some video sites, arrow keys are used to fforward or rewind video.

Some students don't like this, so we are thinking about changing it.

[Update]:
Thank you for your feedback everyone! The keyboard shortcuts are now:
← = Rewind 5s
→ = Fast forward 5s
shift + ← = Previous Lesson
shift + → = Next Lesson

Arrow Keys
  1. What would you prefer the arrow keys to do159 votes
    1. I don't care because I wouldn't use the arrow key shortcuts regardless
      10.06%
    2. Fast forward or rewind video!
      52.83%
    3. Previous or next lesson!
      37.11%

Comments

• HarrisHarris Core Member
    edited March 2020 188 karma

Its an amazing site. Thanks to all at 7Sage.

• keepgoing.keepgoing. Member
    365 karma

OMG THANK YOU!! So many times I have pressed the right and left arrow keys wanting to forward or rewind and leave the whole entire page ahhhh

• mellomelmellomel Alum Member
    292 karma

I actually got really used to how it is. I use the J/L keys for the videos and I find the shortcuts for the next/prev. lessons very useful. Would you guys consider providing alternative shortcuts for moving in between the lessons (if you're going to change them)?

• CharlotteCharlotte Alum Member
    5 karma

I got used to the 7sage system; I even use the 7sage system on youtube now haha. I like 7sage just the way it is now :-)

• DarklordDarklord Alum Member
    586 karma

Why don't you just have both functions? Both are quite useful

• edited March 2020 78 karma

Like some people have already mentioned, I made the mistake in the beginning of trying to use the arrow keys to skip forward in the video only to have the whole page changed. But I got used to the 7sage shortcut now and I like and use it all the time.

For the shortcut, 7sage can either remove it or keep it the same.

Now was that an exclusive or, or an inclusive or? Who knows really.

• erd1994erd1994 Core Member
    7 karma

I voted to keep the current function. However, if it is kept, it only works for me when I am going forward a lesson. It never works going back a lesson. Not sure if that is a problem for others as well.

• Alan Cheuk-2Alan Cheuk-2 Administrator
    edited March 2020 3074 karma

@mellomel said:
    I actually got really used to how it is. I use the J/L keys for the videos and I find the shortcuts for the next/prev. lessons very useful. Would you guys consider providing alternative shortcuts for moving in between the lessons (if you're going to change them)?

@Darklord said:
    Why don't you just have both functions? Both are quite useful

Great idea! The keyboard shortcuts are now:
    ← = Rewind 5s
    → = Fast forward 5s
    shift + ← = Previous Lesson
    shift + → = Next Lesson

@erd1994 said:
    it only works for me when I am going forward a lesson. It never works going back a lesson. Not sure if that is a problem for others as well.

Could you please try it again? I didn't check the old version, but the new version's previous lesson shortcut definitely works on my side now

@kharco @dodo_bird @Charlotte @"Porfiry Petrovich"
    Thank you for your support and feedback!

• cole.davis10cole.davis10 Alum Member
    361 karma

I think the new shortcuts are a great addition to the videos, but is there any way to keep the original forward and back arrow shortcuts in practice problem sets and PTs? It was a little more intuitive moving between questions in PTs and problem sets without having to shift. Not sure if that would be difficult to implement, but it would be nice. @"Alan Cheuk"

• Alan Cheuk-2Alan Cheuk-2 Administrator
    edited March 2020 3074 karma

@"cole.davis10" said:
    I think the new shortcuts are a great addition to the videos, but is there any way to keep the original forward and back arrow shortcuts in practice problem sets and PTs? It was a little more intuitive moving between questions in PTs and problem sets without having to shift. Not sure if that would be difficult to implement, but it would be nice. @"Alan Cheuk"

Thank you, that was an oversight. Arrow keys should work with the digital tester again!

• Andrew_NeimanAndrew_Neiman Alum Member
    258 karma

Love the new change!