Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cost and timing of tutors

165 Hopeful165 Hopeful Member
in General 18 karma

What is the average cost of a tutor? Is there a more ideal time to use a tutor than others, for example, would it be better to get the additional help when I am first learning the basics and still going through the course, or when I've completed the course and still have challenges?
Thanks,

Comments

• 1058 karma

I am not sure about the best timing for a tutor but here is a list of the 7Sage approved tutors and most have their pricing in the information:

https://7sage.com/discussion/#/discussion/4760/7sages-approved-tutors/p1

Good luck!

• lexxx745lexxx745 Alum Member Sage
    3190 karma

I personally think a tutor is the way to go after you have put a substantial amount of time into the basics. I think a tutor is best for advanced strategies, like timing and when to know when move on to the next question. The basics should be learnable on your own.

• 776 karma

I think tutors are necessary LOL....
    theres so much to the LSAT that no textbook or online course can ever show their students

• JDream2023JDream2023 Alum Member
    984 karma

I will be using a tutor. We had a free consult and have a session set up for this weekend. She is in the 99th percentile and hopefully can rub off some of her expertise on me. She’s charging $100 an hour but at this time, to get a 20 point increase, I am willing to dish that out. I want someone to go through the process with me and break it down. The way this website is set up, JY does his thing and that’s that. I want to ask questions and get “live” answers. I think it will beneficial.

• drbrown2drbrown2 Alum Member
    2227 karma

I am willing to help you get a good idea of the type of work you need to do to reach your goal. Tutoring isn't for everyone. There are many great tutors on this site and elsewhere, but if you want some free help before you decide if you need to hire someone let me know!

• Quick SilverQuick Silver Alum Inactive Sage
    1049 karma

Hey there,

I’m one of those tutors.It really depends on the person, and where you are in the process.

One important suggestion - Feel free to take advantage of the free consults most of us offer. We can certainly talk about your learning needs, but also whether it’s the right time for you to begin tutoring or whether you’d be better off studying on your own.

As much as we’d love your business, we were once in your shoes and what’s most important is that you do what’s right for you. A free consult with me or on any of the other tutors could help you figure that out.

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27809 karma

Here’s the two things I do that accounts for most of what I do with students.

1. Insist on proper BR. I just can’t tell you how important this is. If everyone just BR’d properly, the center of the curve would move from 151 to probably the mid 160’s, and the LSAT would become a largely useless means of evaluating law school applicants. Instead, everyone seems to think that they’re uniquely exempt from needing strict and intensive BR.

2. Diagnose weaknesses. Once people have effective study habits, the challenge becomes a bit more nuanced. It’s hard to know what you don’t know. If you knew it, you’d know it, and you wouldn’t need a tutor to tell you. A good tutor can see exactly why you made an error. These reasons can be incredibly nuanced and hard to spot. One of my favorites is when someone misinterprets “the” as “a.” You might be surprised that this can be such a critical distinction. If you miss this in review though, you may never really get to the core issue of why you made a certain error. And that means you didn’t learn from your mistake, and the LSAT will have you fooled every time it uses this against you in the future.

The most effective time to use a tutor is when you reach the point at which you’re unable to identify the way forward. At any point, a tutor will add value to your studies, but to me these are the most critical moments.