Any Super Splitter ( sub 3 GPA, 165+ LSAT) Cycles Complete?

sabzzeefsabzzeef Member
in General 27 karma

If so, please share the results! I am applying for 2021 and I'm definitely a super splitter. I'd love to see where people have been accepted/rejected at since it is always so unpredictable.

Comments

• kamakazisquirrel17kamakazisquirrel17 Free Trial Member
    2 karma

same! I'm so worried that my GPA is too terrible

• 99thPercentileOrDieTryin99thPercentileOrDieTryin Free Trial Member
    edited March 2020 652 karma

Complete here. LSATs 164/165, uGPA 2.79. I was definitely unsure at the beginning of the cycle if I would even get in anywhere.

I applied to Berkeley, Minnesota, Arizona State, Iowa, William & Mary, Nebraska, Denver, Northeastern, San Diego, and Wyoming. My target school was William & Mary.

I was accepted with great scholarships (ranging from 50% to full-ride) at Wyoming, Nebraska, San Diego, and William & Mary.

I was waitlisted at Arizona State, Northeastern, Denver (weird), and Iowa. I imagine I would get in at Denver and Northeastern if I held out. Not sure about ASU or Iowa (both above top 30).

I was rejected at Berkeley and Minnesota.

The splitter cycle is unpredictable IMO and I think softs, a great personal statement, and "why X school" essays play a more significant role in your applications than they might for non-splitters. Also, I wrote a short GPA addendum. Luckily for me, most of my poor GPA was from over 15 years ago and my more recent performance showed a strong upward trend. My grad school GPA was 3.8.

If you're a high 160s splitter (barring major C & F issues), you will likely get in somewhere you like with some funding. Best of luck. Shoot for the stars and land on the moon!

• kpinthehousekpinthehouse Free Trial Member
    18 karma

@99thpercentileordietryin May I ask what major your were and whether you were a PhD or a masters degree? Asking as I am almost exactly in the same situation, and I'm applying for the next cycle.

• btownsqueebtownsquee Alum Member
    1207 karma

Hi! I am a super splitter! LSAC GPA 2.9 and LSAT of 169. I'm in at Michigan along with a few T20 schools. I'm also on many waitlists at other T14s. Happy to share more details via private message. :)

My advice other than study hard for LSAT is apply EARLY (October!!) and be really vulnerable with your personal statement.

652 karma

@kpinthehouse said:
    @99thpercentileordietryin May I ask what major your were and whether you were a PhD or a masters degree? Asking as I am almost exactly in the same situation, and I'm applying for the next cycle.

I was a marketing major from a so-so private university. I graduated with a 3.4 from that school but my GPA is hurt from a stint in community college when I was in my early 20s. My grad school program was an MBA from a state school.

• LouislepauvreLouislepauvre Alum Member
    750 karma

Almost finished! It was a crazy and unpredictable cycle. I'm 2.9/169.

Admitted
    GW (0$)
    ASU (24k/year)
    UC-Irvine (waiting on scholarship info)
    Seton Hall (45k/year)
    Rutgers (18,800/year)
    Brooklyn (16k/year)
    Case Western (40K/year)

Waitlists
    BC, Alabama, Temple, Cardozo, St. John's, American (a couple of YPs in there, I think)

Rejections
    NYU, Fordham, Northeastern, NYLS, Michigan (very jealous of the person with the same numbers as me who got in!)

Ghost:
    Villanova
    Hofstra

652 karma

@Louislepauvre said:

Admitted
    GW (0$)
    ASU (24k/year)
    Seton Hall (45k/year)
    Rutgers (18,800/year)
    Brooklyn (16k/year)
    Case Western (40K/year)

Waitlists
    BC, Alabama, Temple, Cardozo, St. John's, American (a couple of YPs in there, I think)

Rejections
    NYU, Fordham, Northeastern, NYLS, Michigan (very jealous of the person with the same numbers as me who got in!)

Ghost:
    Villanova
    Hofstra

So weird how you got rejected at Northeastern. You think it's YP? What schools are you most considering right now? Not a bad selection you have there!

• mrowley91mrowley91 Alum Member
    203 karma

It's so good to see that I'm not the only one in this boat! I did NROTC which required me to take calc I and II and physics I and II...I was an english major, so this did not go well to say the least. I had a 2.85, but have not yet taken the LSAT. Was going to take it in April but ended up not signing up because it seems likely COVID will end up cancelling the April LSAT as well. Since my husband will still be in the military and has orders to California, I'm looking at University of San Diego, UC Irvine, UCLA and USC. Any and all insights from super splitters is much appreciated!!I.e. how did you address your GPA? Did you have any other major positive factors like work history that you believe helped? Thanks for giving me more hope!!

• LouislepauvreLouislepauvre Alum Member
    750 karma

@99thPercentileOrDieTryin said:

@Louislepauvre said:

Admitted
    GW (0$)
    ASU (24k/year)
    Seton Hall (45k/year)
    Rutgers (18,800/year)
    Brooklyn (16k/year)
    Case Western (40K/year)

Waitlists

Rejections

Ghost:
    Villanova
    Hofstra

So weird how you got rejected at Northeastern. You think it's YP? What schools are you most considering right now? Not a bad selection you have there!

@99thPercentileOrDieTryin said:

@Louislepauvre said:

Admitted
    GW (0$)
    ASU (24k/year)
    Seton Hall (45k/year)
    Rutgers (18,800/year)
    Brooklyn (16k/year)
    Case Western (40K/year)

Waitlists

Rejections

Ghost:
    Villanova
    Hofstra

Thank you! I’m considering UCI, Seton Hall, and Rutgers.