Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sometimes you just have to shoot your shot (cycle recap from a URM w/ a 157)

Woodsy_567Woodsy_567 Member
edited April 2020 in General 257 karma

I went back and forth trying to decide if I should apply with a 157. I was really frustrated with my score because I was PT'ing in the mid 160s and had already spent 6 months studying full time. I ultimately decided to apply because 1) I thought the rest of my application was very strong and 2) I realized the worst thing that could happen was that I would have to reapply because I wasn't accepted anywhere or satisfied with my options. Well, I ended up getting into Berkeley Law and couldn't be happier! Please see below for my stats & cycle recap.

157 & 3.76, URM, first-generation student, 3 years public interest experience, went to Berkeley for undergrad

Acceptances: Berkeley (wrote a why Berkeley essay), Loyola
WL: Columbia, Duke, Vanderbilt, Emory, Davis
Rejections: Michigan, NYU, USC, UCLA, Northwestern, Virginia, UT Austin

I submitted all of my apps in December, with the exception of UCLA and Northwestern, which I submitted Feb 1. I also submitted a diversity statement and an LSAT addendum with my SAT scores, which were very low, arguing that standardized tests have not accurately predicted my academic ability. 

What would I have done differently? I would have tried to get accommodations for the LSAT, which I hadn't even considered until multiple people suggested it after hearing about my testing experience, and I would have submitted supplemental essays (e.g. why X school) to all the other schools that accepted them. Offers from other schools are really important for financial aid negotiations. 

For URMs, here are some programs that are extremely beneficial in terms of financial assistance and mentorship: UCLA Law Fellows, Sidley Scholars, and SEO Law Fellows (the last one is a summer internship program at a big law firm right before law school). 

I hope this is helpful and encouraging for folks! :) 

Comments

• PreWorkoutPreWorkout Alum Member
    198 karma

Congrats!!

• msiummsium Member
    70 karma

Wow, this is awesome! Congrats to you, this was so motivating!

• 1000001910000019 Alum Member
    3279 karma

Congrats, Berkeley is a great school. But unless Berkeley is your #1, I'd suggest you retake. You're capable of pulling that LSAT up, and with a higher LSAT score you'll be competitive for the elite schools.

• Woodsy_567Woodsy_567 Member
    edited April 2020 257 karma

Thank you :) It actually is my number one bc of its location and community. I know I want to stay in CA (I grew up in LA and already spent enough time on the east coast after college when I worked in NYC for a few years haha). And I really prioritize community, which I've heard is amazing at Berkeley, especially for students of color. I applied to a bunch of schools for negotiation purposes, but I went into the process knowing that Berkeley was my top choice. I'm super grateful that it all worked out.

I have considered retaking solely for financial aid purposes, but I don't think it's worth the toll it might take on my mental health. I got really depressed while studying and am worried about going through that again. I figure that I'll either do big law to pay off loans or take advantage of Berkeley's LRAP program & public loan forgiveness.

• 1000001910000019 Alum Member
    3279 karma

@Woodsy_567 said:
    I have considered retaking solely for financial aid purposes, but I don't think it's worth the toll it might take on my mental health. I got really depressed while studying and am worried about going through that again. I figure that I'll either do big law to pay off loans or take advantage of Berkeley's LRAP program & public loan forgiveness.

If you're going the PI route, then I wouldn't bother retaking. But if you think that paying off sticker is easier than studying for the LSAT you're mistaken.

Also if studying really depresses you, you may want to reconsider law school. The bar exam makes the LSAT look like a BuzzFeed quiz.

• edited April 2020 474 karma

I'm happy for you Woodsy_567!!! Good luck with your the rest of your law school journey!!

• WhatslsatWhatslsat Member
    476 karma

Thank you so much for sharing and being so transparent!! this is super motivating and I wish you all the best at Berkeley!!

• Hopeful9812Hopeful9812 Member
    872 karma

Congratulations!!

• ThankfulBlessedThankfulBlessed Core Member
    33 karma

Amazing! Congratulations!!!

• Confidence150Confidence150 Alum Member
    1417 karma

Wow!! This is very inspiring. Congratulations! Best of luck at Berkeley.