PT32.S2.Q11-- multicultural education

DarklordDarklord Alum Member
edited April 2020 in Reading Comprehension 586 karma

help

Hi,

This was a very difficult question. I found myself stuck between A and B, and I still don't understand how one is supposed to deduce that the correct answer here was B.

Any #help would be really appreciated!

Comments

• caw8tzzzcaw8tzzz Alum Member
    135 karma

In the second paragraph, we read that the first proposal is the “most modest” of all of the proposals. Hence, we have to understand the usage of the word modest relative to the other proposals. The other proposal must be less modest than the first proposal since the first proposal is the “most modest.” So how can we differentiate the proposals from one another to deduce the meaning of modest? Well, AC B is correct because we know that the first proposal is the least radical of the two. The first proposal is just saying that we need to learn about cultures, but that we can do so within the perspective of the majority culture. Contrast that with the second proposal which says that we need to learn about cultures, but that we must do so by remaining neutral about value differences between cultures. The second proposal is taking things a step further than the first proposal by basically saying that we can’t have the perspective of the majority culture, and that we have to remain neutral. Thus, we can understand modest to mean that the proposal is calling for less change in how we teach multicultural education than the second proposal.

AC A: This AC is stating that the first proposal is the least speculative in how it understands non-Western cultures. But we know that is not true because the first proposal analyzes non-Western cultures through a Western lens, so it probably is somewhat speculative in how it understands the non-Western world. Whereas, the second proposal is actually less speculative than the first because it at the very least is trying to understand non-Western cultures through an unbiased understanding of values.

• DarklordDarklord Alum Member
    586 karma

Oh wow thanks! This helped!