Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

-0 LG, -2 LR, -13 RC. Help please!

Hello! Title pretty much says it all. I have been able to fine tune LG and LR to the point where I am only missing 5 star questions or in the event I just read something wrong. But for the life of me I cannot read the RC passages fast enough or keep focused enough to get a decent RC score. The low res method does not really work for me because I just repeat the low res summary in my head and forget what I'm actually reading.

Has anyone had a similar experience and been able to work through it? Any help is appreciated!

Comments

• dazedandconfused-1dazedandconfused-1 Member
    258 karma

I have a reverse problem as you... I usually go -1 or -2 on RC but go roughly -9 on LR. Would love to hear how you were able to improve on your LR!

For me, I think I tried to stick by a few things when I'm doing RC. This is just my personal method, so I'm not sure if it will apply to everyone, but:
    1) Many books will say notate on the margins the main idea for every paragraph, but I notate the main idea every time there is a new topic introduced. That way, when I need to refer back to the passage, I know where to go with more precision.
    2) I circle words that seem to signal author's tone/attitude when I'm reading... so I'm particularly looking out for adverbs.
    3) In terms of pacing, I don't try to section off by dedicating 9 minutes to each passage... some passages take long, some passages don't, and I realized being overly methodical about how much time I should spend per passage has done me more harm than good.
    4) Know when to skip! When I look through the answer choices and they don't come intuitively to me in the first glance, I mark it and go onto the next question or passage. This gives me enough time to come back to it later, and by that time, somehow the answer seems clearer.

I hope this helps!

• ryaaan777ryaaan777 Member
    29 karma

I went from -8 to -3/4 recently. I don't think there are tips tricks shortcuts for RC except for just doing more of those (so you are more familiar with LSAT RC Question types) and take breaks

• Logical BreezoningLogical Breezoning Alum Member
    edited April 2020 198 karma

@dazedandconfused-1 you're the second person to say look for tone indicators so I will definitely keep an eye out for that. I think I need to dedicate a lot more time to RC as well just so I feel more comfortable/confident with them. Thanks!

As far as my LR improvement, over the course of about three weeks I just drilled LR questions by type in timed sets of 15 (15 strengthen, 15 NA, 15 SA, etc.) and repeated types I had issues with. Through this I really started to figure out the patterns in not only the question stems but the answer choices and trap answer choices. It also REALLY helped for me to read a question, recognize that I don't know what's going on, and skip it. I have found that having a good skip-strategy allowed me an extra 6-7 minutes at the end of the section and when I re-read those questions, something clicked and I suddenly knew what the questions stem was saying.

Lots of people say drill level 4/5 questions because if you're good at those you'll be good at every questions, but I disagree. The level 1/2/3 questions have the exact same patterns and questions/answer types than the harder ones. If your drills include all level questions I think you will be much better off and you will figure out the patterns much easier than by muscling through exclusively level 4/5 questions.

• dazedandconfused-1dazedandconfused-1 Member
    258 karma

Thanks @"Logical Breezoning" for your suggestion! I haven't really drilled LR questions by their type (been doing PT sets), so I'll definitely give that a go. Do you know where I could find a list of LR questions sectioned off by their types? Thanks so much.

• Logical BreezoningLogical Breezoning Alum Member
    198 karma

@dazedandconfused-1 if you go to the "Resources" tab on the header, click "Problem Sets" and you can create your own problem sets. I suggest watching the tutorial video, it helps explain how to maneuver the system and filter what you want to work with.