Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Timing: How long did it take you?

axbSunDevaxbSunDev Member
in General 256 karma

Hi 7sage!

I'm doing timed PTs now and so far I have done 4. I am having such a hard time with timing as right when the timer hits I get stressed and anxious and I just can't seem to do well under timed conditions. Feeling rushed and under pressure takes away so much of my reasoning ability and my brain just goes crazy, which i'm sure is why LSAC does this in the first place! When I do my work untimed I get all the answers or most of the answers all correct.

How long did it take you all to get use to the timing conditions? How many PTs did it take you to feel somewhat comfortable?

Thanks 7Sage!

Comments

• taschasptaschasp Alum Member Sage
    796 karma

I definitely struggled with timing anxieties when studying for the LSAT and I know I wasn't alone and neither are you. I especially resonate with what you're describing--that really frustrating feeling of brain fog that kicks in with the anxiety, which makes it hard to focus and, as a result of realizing you can't focus, makes you more anxious, which makes it even harder to focus... it's an endless loop that can really destroy your game.

How many PTs does it take to get used to it? That depends a lot. And you probably won't suddenly feel 100% comfortable, and you might not ever even get to 100%--but surely, test after test, it'll start to feel more like a routine and your mind will feel increasingly at ease. That being said, if just the act of putting the timer on stresses you out (which is totally normal, it did the same to me), then you really want to try to recreate test-day conditions as much as you can later in your study. Normally, I'd recommend practicing in coffee shops or other public places with distractions, but that's obviously not possible with covid-19. But, if you live with friends or family, maybe you can take the test in the living room while they walk about and instruct them not to worry about distracting you (because you actually want them to). I had to practice under those kinds of conditions quite a few times until I really felt comfortable on the actual test and knew that I could get through it no matter how bad the anxiety got.

But no matter what, I can definitely say--four PTs is not enough. It'll take a lot more to get used to the timing. So, while it's good to stop and make sure you're doing things right, don't feel discouraged and just keep on going. Just make sure you blind review as effectively as possible and learn the most from each PT--and just be patient with yourself as you allow yourself to become more comfortable with taking the test under timed conditions.

That being said, there may be other things you can do to help, like meditation (see https://7sage.com/lesson/winning-the-psychological-battle/). I always found meditation really helpful for me, but I also know it doesn't work for everyone. You know yourself better than anyone else, so whatever helps you with anxiety for other things (e.g. taking exams at school, etc.), try to apply those same strategies to the LSAT!

• axbSunDevaxbSunDev Member
    256 karma

@taschasp said:
    I definitely struggled with timing anxieties when studying for the LSAT and I know I wasn't alone and neither are you. I especially resonate with what you're describing--that really frustrating feeling of brain fog that kicks in with the anxiety, which makes it hard to focus and, as a result of realizing you can't focus, makes you more anxious, which makes it even harder to focus... it's an endless loop that can really destroy your game.

How many PTs does it take to get used to it? That depends a lot. And you probably won't suddenly feel 100% comfortable, and you might not ever even get to 100%--but surely, test after test, it'll start to feel more like a routine and your mind will feel increasingly at ease. That being said, if just the act of putting the timer on stresses you out (which is totally normal, it did the same to me), then you really want to try to recreate test-day conditions as much as you can later in your study. Normally, I'd recommend practicing in coffee shops or other public places with distractions, but that's obviously not possible with covid-19. But, if you live with friends or family, maybe you can take the test in the living room while they walk about and instruct them not to worry about distracting you (because you actually want them to). I had to practice under those kinds of conditions quite a few times until I really felt comfortable on the actual test and knew that I could get through it no matter how bad the anxiety got.

But no matter what, I can definitely say--four PTs is not enough. It'll take a lot more to get used to the timing. So, while it's good to stop and make sure you're doing things right, don't feel discouraged and just keep on going. Just make sure you blind review as effectively as possible and learn the most from each PT--and just be patient with yourself as you allow yourself to become more comfortable with taking the test under timed conditions.

That being said, there may be other things you can do to help, like meditation (see https://7sage.com/lesson/winning-the-psychological-battle/). I always found meditation really helpful for me, but I also know it doesn't work for everyone. You know yourself better than anyone else, so whatever helps you with anxiety for other things (e.g. taking exams at school, etc.), try to apply those same strategies to the LSAT!

Thank you so much this was very helpful!

• BlindReviewerBlindReviewer Alum Member
    855 karma

Timing is definitely a huge component of the test, and @taschasp 's comment above is really good. For me, I feel like I found my timing for all three sections through lots of individual sections and retaking them (1-2 in the morning and 1-2 in the evening as a drill). Think of it like training wheels --- if you can't even finish a section you've seen before in time, you don't really have much business taking fresh sections and expecting the timing to magically work itself out.

I don't have access to the Webinars anymore (7sage alum lol) but there's one called "Timing and Levels of Uncertainty" for LR. One thing that also helps for all sections is not looking at the clock so much but setting checkmarks for yourself (i.e. check the clock between every passage but don't think about the time when you're doing the passage, or check the clock after ~15 questions on LR or at each page turn but do NOT rush). You also have to accept that timing must be flexible. Some passages are difficult and some are easy; sometimes you'll have 10 minutes at the end of LR to go back for round 2 and sometimes you'll have 5. It's not about the objective number of minutes you have left when you finish, but that you used the time you have an in an effective manner. If it ends up that you ran out of time because a section was really hard, that's just what it is as long as you know you applied your best techniques.

Hope this helps! And on the topic of anxiety, the putting your pencil down and breathing thing is very helpful even if it seems excessive.

• 1234abcd-11234abcd-1 Member
    422 karma

You definitely have to keep doing PT's. It took me about 20 PT's to get the timing down. I now finish all 25 questions within a 25 minute frame (so-so, it may depend on the test) but then after that I utilize that spare time to go over the questions that I doubted myself on. But honestly, it just comes with practice. You will get there in no time, I would also give myself wiggle room to practice so about two months or so, just keep doing PT's and you will be good in no time.

• sarahisksarahisk Member
    272 karma

I also struggle a lot with testing anxiety, especially since my PT scores are still pretty inconsistent. Like others have mentioned, your anxiety and timing issues will begin to reduce as you get more and more practice, and seeing the results of this will also make you more confident going in.

I do have one "magic trick" that might seem silly. There are days where I feel like I just can't bring myself to take a timed section or PT. Before I begin any timed practice, I'll set a timer for two minutes and power pose with by back straight and hands on my hips. There's something about taking up space that can somehow make you feel more calm and confident going into a high stress situation. I recommend you give it a try!

(here's a link to the power-posing Ted Talk that inspired me to do this: https://www.ted.com/talks/amy_cuddy_your_body_language_may_shape_who_you_are?language=en)