Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

July or August 2020 date?

jugolo96jugolo96 Alum Member
edited April 2020 in General 103 karma

I started doing PTs a week ago and plan to take 4 a week (from 36 to 89) while doing some additional drilling the days I don't do PTs. This would be quite tight to make it before the July date (13th) and with COVID I do not know what the status of that is. Do people think it will be a FLEX or a regular LSAT by then?

Additionally, the August date (29th) is quite far out and I would run out of PTs too soon before the exam. I am at a decent score but think that I could get better. I also saw there is no september date so if I have to cancel for some reason I won't have scores to start applications early.

Would you recommend taking the July and trying to cram as many PTs as I can? (won't have any clean tests if I do end up cancelling this score)? Or slowing down to make it until August?

help

Comments

• mrowley91mrowley91 Alum Member
    203 karma

Hey!

I'm planning on doing basically the same thing as you, minus a few tests since I work full time. I've already taken 14 (but spanned over a long time since I studied on and off before seriously picking it up in January). My plan is to do 3-4 per week until the July test.

If you run out of tests, I'd recommend you go back and redo them. I got this tip from the Thinking LSAT podcast: they said that unless you get a 180 on every single test, you still have something to learn from them. I think this makes total sense! It's like foolproofing but for the entire test. They also recommended starting with the oldest ones first since it's been the most time since you've seen it.

Hopefully that helps. Good luck!

• LogicianLogician Alum Member Sage
    2464 karma

I can't imagine a situation in which it would be advisable to do that many PT's per week. The real learning comes from blind reviewing and then going back to the drawing board and working on something before taking another PT. I don't see how someone could be doing 4 PT's + thorough blind reviews per week, but hey maybe that's just me. Perhaps if you're scoring 180, but even then you'd be hard pressed not to burn out by doing that many. Some of the best advice I've gotten in regards to taking PT's is don't take another PT unless you have some (objective) reason to believe that you're going to improve. Otherwise all you're really doing is ignoring the underlying problems.

Anyways, that's my opinion on the matter so take it as you will. In any case, best of luck!

• FindingSageFindingSage Alum Member
    2042 karma

Take some time and listen to the past webinars from past sages who have done very well on this test. All of them that I have heard say that if you are trying to do more than a couple of PT's a week you will burn out, not complete a blind review that actually enables you to really learn and will just be wasting valuable resources. Further, I heard a podcast recently which was an interview with one of the former test writers. He was asked how many PT people should take for a 170+ score. His response was if you took about 10 tests and really knew those tests front to back you should see every trick the writers will throw at you and be very well equipped to really perform well. He emphasized that most people think you should just take more prep tests but you will just repeat the same mistakes over and over again. He also emphasized that most people never really know any test cover to cover let alone several of them. Watch all of the videos JY has posted about the BR process. The biggest gains I have made on this test have come from really spending my time on BR. Also, I don't think you should worry about a test date yet. Start testing and reviewing and let your score as well as your overall comfort with the test dictate to you when you are ready.

• jugolo96jugolo96 Alum Member
    103 karma

Thank you everyone! I think you all have very good points. I think too that it can burn me out to do too many tests in a week, they are definitely marathons. I will focus more time on BR and trying to master each test.