Saturday, April 25, 7:30pm EST – LR Skipping Webinar 2.0

Mike_RossMike_Ross Alum Member Sage
edited April 2020 in Webinars 3106 karma

Hello everyone,

Some 7sagers have requested we host another skipping strategy seminar because they either missed the first session or because they have follow up questions from the first

So, @"Cant Get Right" and I are going to host another session on Saturday, April 25th at 7:30pm EST

We are going to do a deeper dive this time

As these things work a lot better when we know what to go into detail about ahead of time, please post your questions on this thread so we can tailor accordingly

This would also help other potential attendees know what to expect

If you're seeing this for the first time and wondering what it is, you can find out more:

a) about skipping strategy and specifically about what worked for me here:

https://7sage.com/discussion/#/discussion/21717/140s-to174-thank-you-7sage

b) questions following the first webinar:

https://7sage.com/discussion/#/discussion/22869/saturday-april-11-7-30pm-est-lr-skipping-webinar

ZOOM WEBINAR LINK: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/5033908804

Hope to see you there again!

Comments

• Force UserForce User Alum Member
    39 karma

Looking forward to this

• 1058 karma

Exciting! Thanks guys!

• CRISPR24CRISPR24 Alum Member
    262 karma

This will be great to whoever is new to the skipping concept, thank you both!

• Law and YodaLaw and Yoda Alum Member
    4306 karma

I am curious about your skipping strategies in LG, I've heard some say --- they skip difficult substitution rule Q's while others say skipping global MBT questions and the like often help because they require you to construct new game boards or make new inferences. Just wanted to hear your thoughts on skipping in LG :smile: Thanks for doing a second webinar!

• Mike_RossMike_Ross Alum Member Sage
    3106 karma

@"Law and Yoda-Brandi" said:
    I am curious about your skipping strategies in LG, I've heard some say --- they skip difficult substitution rule Q's while others say skipping global MBT questions and the like often help because they require you to construct new game boards or make new inferences. Just wanted to hear your thoughts on skipping in LG :smile: Thanks for doing a second webinar!

Interesting! yes we can definitely mention this on the webinar

As a whole though: I ALWAYS move by order of priority:

1) The first question to make sure I got the rules right
    2) All the IFs (global) questions
    3) THEN the CBT (local) questions
    4) LASTLY, the substitution questions

That way I have 'extra' Gameboards drawn out from the globals to attack the CBTs

This also takes the pressure off feeling like I need to have drawn all the GBs in the diagraming stage. I'm going to get most of them anyway if I just do all the globals first!

• Jeff----Jeff---- Alum Member
    205 karma

@Mike_Ross @"Cant Get Right" I will be there. Thank you both.

• jmarmaduke96jmarmaduke96 Member Sage
    2891 karma

Thank you both! This is a fantastic opportunity!

I think there are a couple of questions that would be interesting to go over:

1: How to triage questions for round 2? For example - If I have two skipped questions and I think that the first is easier but I probably have to start over, and the second question is harder but I think I know where my error was, which would you start with? Would you fall back on level of confidence in all circumstances?

2: I know that this is focused on LR skipping, but maybe briefly address what, if any, are the differences in skipping strategy between LR and RC or LG?

3: Does having different strategies for particular question types ever influence your decision to skip? and if so, when?

Thank you!

• WhimsicalWillowWhimsicalWillow Live Member
    79 karma

I will be there and am excited to learn.

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27821 karma

@jmarmaduke96 said:
    Thank you both! This is a fantastic opportunity!

I think there are a couple of questions that would be interesting to go over:

1: How to triage questions for round 2? For example - If I have two skipped questions and I think that the first is easier but I probably have to start over, and the second question is harder but I think I know where my error was, which would you start with? Would you fall back on level of confidence in all circumstances?

2: I know that this is focused on LR skipping, but maybe briefly address what, if any, are the differences in skipping strategy between LR and RC or LG?

3: Does having different strategies for particular question types ever influence your decision to skip? and if so, when?

Thank you!

Great questions @jmarmaduke96 and I think we will definitely address in detail tomorrow

Briefly:

1. Both assessments seem to situate us similarly as far as expectation on time (Remind me tomorrow and we can talk more about why that is.), so I'd just work them in chronological order. If I only had like 30 seconds left in the section or something and thought I could get the later question with that time but not the earlier one, then an ad hoc deviation would certainly be appropriate. Outside of that scenario though, I don't see much reason to treat these differently from each other.

2. RC and LG, for me, are really different from LR, so that'll be a great area to address. Generally, I skip [note: I'm generally dissatisfied with the "skipping" terminology, so if you want to hear me keep beating that horse (what an awful expression, when you think about it), remind me tomorrow.] a lot less in RC and LG and in very different ways and for very different reasons. In LG if I've got the setup right, there's very little occasion to need to skip. If I don't have the setup, there's very little reason to proceed to the questions at all. There is a margin in the middle though where I might use the strategy @Mike_Ross mentions above where I start with the local "if" questions before doing the others. In RC I don't assume I'm getting a second round on every question, so to some extent I treat every question like I only get the one crack at it. Still have to be decisive and aggressive though, so RC feels more precarious sometimes. Will elaborate more on all that tomorrow.

3. This can be relevant both on decisions to truly skip a question and on to which of the second or third rounds you push a given question. If you're using a mix of high level and low level approaches for different question types, you should be more bullish on the types with the higher level approaches. Higher level approaches tend to be more efficient in that they return the correct answer more reliably and, critically, more speedily. So that is highly relevant to our calculus on the topic of time management strategy.

Thanks for the great questions, and we'll address in more depth tomorrow!

• 1058 karma

@"Cant Get Right" @Mike_Ross

I have read about different symbols people would use on the paper exam to note which problems to return to first on the second round. But since the LSAT is now digital, and the platform isn't very cooperative with highlighting or underlining last I checked, how would you recommend noting which questions to attack first on the second round?

Thanks!

27821 karma

@"the great white shark"

I use scratch paper and a Grouping Game chart. First column corresponds to what had been my single circles on the paper test--the highest priority questions to return to. Second column is what used to be my double circles--secondary priority. Third column is slashes--low priority questions I'm honestly not even that concerned with getting back to.

• 1058 karma

@"Cant Get Right" thank you!

• jmarmaduke96jmarmaduke96 Member Sage
    2891 karma

Great questions @jmarmaduke96 and I think we will definitely address in detail tomorrow

Briefly:

1. Both assessments seem to situate us similarly as far as expectation on time (Remind me tomorrow and we can talk more about why that is.), so I'd just work them in chronological order. If I only had like 30 seconds left in the section or something and thought I could get the later question with that time but not the earlier one, then an ad hoc deviation would certainly be appropriate. Outside of that scenario though, I don't see much reason to treat these differently from each other.

2. RC and LG, for me, are really different from LR, so that'll be a great area to address. Generally, I skip [note: I'm generally dissatisfied with the "skipping" terminology, so if you want to hear me keep beating that horse (what an awful expression, when you think about it), remind me tomorrow.] a lot less in RC and LG and in very different ways and for very different reasons. In LG if I've got the setup right, there's very little occasion to need to skip. If I don't have the setup, there's very little reason to proceed to the questions at all. There is a margin in the middle though where I might use the strategy @Mike_Ross mentions above where I start with the local "if" questions before doing the others. In RC I don't assume I'm getting a second round on every question, so to some extent I treat every question like I only get the one crack at it. Still have to be decisive and aggressive though, so RC feels more precarious sometimes. Will elaborate more on all that tomorrow.

3. This can be relevant both on decisions to truly skip a question and on to which of the second or third rounds you push a given question. If you're using a mix of high level and low level approaches for different question types, you should be more bullish on the types with the higher level approaches. Higher level approaches tend to be more efficient in that they return the correct answer more reliably and, critically, more speedily. So that is highly relevant to our calculus on the topic of time management strategy.

Thanks for the great questions, and we'll address in more depth tomorrow!

@"Cant Get Right" Thank you! That makes sense, I'm looking forward to tomorrow!

3106 karma

Hey everyone,

just a reminder about this session today

feel free to send your questions here so we can prepare ahead of our 7:30pm EST webinar

will post the link her soon!

Looking forward!

27821 karma

Happening soon!

3106 karma

For anyone just joining now, here is the ZOOM LINK

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/5033908804

• Law and YodaLaw and Yoda Alum Member
    4306 karma

@Mike_Ross said:

@"Law and Yoda-Brandi" said:

Interesting! yes we can definitely mention this on the webinar

As a whole though: I ALWAYS move by order of priority:

1) The first question to make sure I got the rules right
    2) All the IFs (global) questions
    3) THEN the CBT (local) questions
    4) LASTLY, the substitution questions

That way I have 'extra' Gameboards drawn out from the globals to attack the CBTs

This also takes the pressure off feeling like I need to have drawn all the GBs in the diagraming stage. I'm going to get most of them anyway if I just do all the globals first!

I am just seeing this but thank you so much!

• ilovethelsatilovethelsat Member
    348 karma

Will this be recorded?

• cole.davis10cole.davis10 Alum Member
    361 karma

Great webinar tonight! It was super informative and I really benefited from it. Thank you both so much for having it! @"Cant Get Right" @Mike_Ross

3106 karma

@"cole.davis10" said:
    Great webinar tonight! It was super informative and I really benefited from it. Thank you both so much for having it! @"Cant Get Right" @Mike_Ross

Happy you enjoyed it!

3106 karma

And for everyone else, feel free to reach out any time!

• Jay TeeJay Tee Alum Member
    298 karma

Dang it, super bummed I couldn’t make it last night 😣 also wondering if it was recorded? 🤞

• 776 karma

Second, was it recorded by any chance?

3106 karma

@"Jay Tee" said:
    Dang it, super bummed I couldn’t make it last night 😣 also wondering if it was recorded? 🤞

@Trusttheprocess said:
    Second, was it recorded by any chance?

Sorry you missed it! nope, unfortunately it was not recorded