Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How do I get faster?

mirandalpmmirandalpm Alum Member
in General 15 karma
Hi Everyone! I am new to the group. I am currently registered to take the June test and I have been studying since January. My studying materials consist of the LSAT Trainer and LSAT prep tests, and now 7Sage.

I am starting to feel really down because there has been no improvement in my score. The LSAT Trainer has helped me understand many things, but my speed and score has not improved. My score is still in the 140s. I am at that point where I am considering whether I am cut out for this. Regardless, I'll continue to do the best I can.

I have made up my mind to change my June test to September/October. And, I just signed up for one of the courses here.

I know my biggest problem is speed. I have not been able to answer all the questions in any of the sections in 35 minutes.

How do I get faster?

Comments

• ddakjikingddakjiking Inactive ⭐
    2116 karma
    If you suspect speed timing to be an issue, how are your BR scores?
  • Nilesh SNilesh S Alum Inactive ⭐
    3438 karma
    My two cents woudl be: go thru this course first... get the fundamentals down and see how they affect your prep work... also @ddakjiking hits on a key issue... look at the difference between your BR scores and PT scores... chart your future course of action based on where you are after all this.
  • AlexanderL0AlexanderL0 Alum Member
    239 karma
    I take 2 PT's a week then go back, see what I did wrong, understand why its wrong then understand why the right answer is right. I also go back and look at my correct answers and see why my train of thought was correct. I improved 10 points in a month.
  • kclubs323kclubs323 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    275 karma
    @mirandalpm Don't be discouraged! If anything, you're just now realizing that the LSAT is a lot harder to master than you initially thought.
    How are you doing on the Logic Games section? That is by far the easiest section to see immediate improvement in and getting near perfect on the games (which is entirely feasible for anyone) would definitely help you raise your score.
    As for the Logical Reasoning section, I second what @"Nilesh S" said about going through the course first. There are a number of crucial fundamentals that you need to understand about the LSAT if you hope to improve.
    You also mentioned that you have the LSAT Trainer as well. You should use that book in tandem with the 7Sage lessons.
    Also, take your time with the fundamentals. If you rush through any of these, you may not improve as quickly. Good luck!
  • ddakjikingddakjiking Inactive ⭐
    2116 karma
    If your BR scores are in the 150's, I would suspect there are still fundamental issues in addition to just timing. Since you have postponed till October, lay off from PT'ing and really focus on the 7Sage curriculum as well as The Trainer. I would also recommend getting the Cambridge drilling packets for you to drill question types, game types, RC subjects.
  • emli1000emli1000 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    3462 karma
    Don't feel discouraged. After going through the 7Sage course + drilling problem sets you will have developed the "speed" necessary to finish each section. But of course, all of this takes time and lots of practice.

If you're going to purchase a course I would suggest that you get the Ultimate course now and download everything before the 21st. If you have PT 36-74 then you can get the basic course and download all of the practice sets asap.
  • alexroark5alexroark5 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    812 karma
    @mirandalpm The key to speed while minimizing a decrease in a accuracy is practice. The more you practice the faster you will get. Unfortunately practice alone is not sufficient. You need to practice in a way that is productive. And in order to practice in a productive manner you need to understand what skillsets the test is requiring of you. 7sage's course is a great way to start acquiring that understanding.
  • nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    @alexroark5 makes a fine point; I would add that blind review of ALL practice questions and answer choices is the key (in addition to understanding) to making sure practice is productive. I did a lot (a LOT) of drilling/practice without blind reviewing anything—I would just try to apply why I had learned and hope for "the best" (which I used to see as getting fewer and fewer answers wrong). Not only did this not really happen (or at least not as consistently or with the increasing frequency I assumed I was "earning"), I honestly think I missed out on a good 90% of the learning that could have taken place with more time spent per practice session on review. Another benefit of this is that you "burn through" material less quickly while learning much more deeply. So, win/win.
  • DumbHollywoodActorDumbHollywoodActor Alum Inactive ⭐
    7468 karma
    Graeme Blake wrote a blog about this : http://lsathacks.com/guide/faq/how-to-go-faster-logical-reasoning/

Speed really comes down to a mastery of rather than merely an understanding of the fundamentals.

It has to become intuition rather than conscious thought.
  • mirandalpmmirandalpm Alum Member
    15 karma
    Wow. This is all very good advice. I'm going to start doing the blind review. Thank you all very much.
  • nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    @mirandalpm I think you'll really see a big difference! Provided that you've learned the fundamentals ... BR is also where you get to see which fundamentals you need to review :)