June Exam - What to do in the coming weeks?

lemonade___lemonade___ Alum Member
in General 113 karma

Hey guys, I'm sitting for the June international exam (28th) and I'm looking for advice on how I should spend my time leading up to that point.

June is my first take, so I've saved up around 3-4 tests each from the 50s and 60s and 5 tests from the 70s. I haven't touched the 80s yet, but I'm planning to save up 5 tests.

This leaves me with 5 PTs to work on until June. I'm scoring 175 average, so my main goal is consistency and bringing down unnecessary mistakes. With quite a bit of time left, I'm not sure what to do other than take those 5 pts and reviewing questions I got incorrect in the past - doesn't really feel like I'm doing something substantial. Does anyone have tips on drills / review methods I can try out during this time?

Any insight would be appreciated!

Comments

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

Drilling more games is often a good experience. Building endurance. Maybe seeing if you can score a 180 on a test and compare this to previous experiences. It sounds like you're well-prepared for June.

• 40 karma

Awesome that you're scoring so highly. It sounds like you're well prepared already. If you have a list of questions that are particularly challenging, I would go through them a few times and really try to internalize them. If you have a question type that is a little weaker, foolproof it. Otherwise, practice tests, BR and don't psyche yourself out. If you're at a 175 already, there's no reason to think you won't perform exceptionally on the real thing. Like lsatplaylist said, keep that endurance up and see how close you can get to a 180. Keep your skills sharp across the board and you'll do great.

• lemonade___lemonade___ Alum Member
    113 karma

@lsatplaylist @bradleyanderson1990 Thanks guys! I'll definitely keep those drilling methods in mind. Honestly I think the hardest part is keeping my angst at bay, it's so easy to talk myself into thinking that something horrible will happen on test day. How do you guys keep confidence? It's hard for me to celebrate good PT scores bc I'll tell myself it was good luck etc :/

• itskidactiveitskidactive Alum Member
    93 karma

I would recommend getting some 80s test in as people have found them a little more difficult than the previous exams and they're also more reflective of what you'll see. Good luck!

• 40 karma

Confidence is very hard to keep up. Every time something goes wrong in practice, I feel like I'm going to fail on the real thing. I think reviewing fundamentals is helpful for confidence. When I go through a section that I have down, just for review, it feels good knowing how quickly and accurately I can get through it. But confidence has been a huge issue throughout prep for me as well.

• lexxx745lexxx745 Alum Member Sage
    3190 karma

I think since your scoring so highly, at this point its not about learning anymore. You pretty much know it all and any more studying you make would lead to marginal gains.

Just maintain, maybe do some retakes, do some of the 50s 60s. Up to test day just do your normal thing take some 80s and do extensive BR

• lexxx745lexxx745 Alum Member Sage
    3190 karma

Itll also be way more mindset. End on a good PT score, and be confident

113 karma

@nocapzak Definitely! Just took PT 80 yesterday, looked at that building transfer game, said "uh wtf" and brute forced everything haha. Will be doing 4 more, is there a particular PT in the 80 that you found helpful / difficult?

@bradleyanderson1990 Reviewing fundamentals seems to be a great idea, making sure the foundation is solid is always good. I 100% agree with you, sometimes it's hard not to beat yourself up. At the end of the day we should all be proud that we were able to persevere through this, no matter the results!

@lexxx745 I've definitely been thinking about redoing some tests and just taking a very few in the 50s/60s that I haven't done. Completely agree that mindset is so important!

• itskidactiveitskidactive Alum Member
    93 karma

@givemethatcake I found 85-88 a bit more difficult. The September 2019 games stumped as it did for a lot test takers as well. The LR and RC are relatively similar difficulty. The difference in the LR is that the newer exams "SA/NA" are less formulaic.

113 karma

@nocapzak Yes, you're definitely right about the SA/NA. The difference seems to start from the early 70s and go from there - I think the main issue is getting used to the new style. I've picked out 86 and 87 within that range, so I'll see how that goes! Will also do the games from 88 to see what that flower game is all about.