LR - Read all the answer choices?

mes08mes08 Alum Member
edited April 2015 in Logical Reasoning 578 karma
I can't remember what JY says about this, but when I read the LR Powerscore Bible they strongly emphasized reading every single answer choice. I'm scoring in the mid to high 160s now and I've gotten pretty good at knowing when I'm certain it's the right answer and when I'm not so sure (I used to not know what I didn't know lol). Once or twice per section, I know the right answer immediately without a doubt. Do you think it's still necessary to read through the remaining answer choices? If I skipped reading the remaining answer choices, I could devote 5 - 30 seconds checking another question or devoting more time to a harder question. What do you guys think: still read all the answer choices or don't bother?

Comments

• ddakjikingddakjiking Inactive ⭐
    2116 karma
    The few times where I skipped answer choices has been where I missed them. Had I read the rest of the answer choices, the correct response was way more obvious. This is in my experience much the case with more difficult questions in general (say questions after #10) but now I read every single answer choice even for Question #1.
  • kclubs323kclubs323 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    edited April 2015 275 karma
    @mes08 I think if you watch the videos on how to correctly Blind Review, JY says that the best way to answer any question is by process of elimination. By accurately eliminating the INCORRECT answers, you are ensuring that you get the correct answer. He also mentions that the top scorers (175-180) answer questions by POE and it's a critical test-taking strategy that enables their success.
    If you were able to immediately find that answer that you anticipated, good! But you should still skim the remaining answer choices because the LSAT might have inserted something subtle to make your anticipated answer choice a trap answer choice. We have to be extremely careful when we say know without a doubt that an answer choice is correct without having read the other answer choices; the LSAT writers are weirdos who get off on anticipating how test takers would think and serving up trap answer choices based on what we would think the answer choice is. They also have a wealth of data to base this on (pretty much every administered LSAT of everyone who's taken an LSAT).
    TL;DR ----> Read all the answer choices. POE to get correct answer is how 175+ scorers do it.
    Good luck!
  • alexroark5alexroark5 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    edited April 2015 812 karma
    @mes08 I would always read all the answer choices. You never know when you've been trapped! Reading that last answer choice might make you aware that you've been duped. On most questions you should be able to eliminate the wrong ones very quickly anyway. I wouldn't resort to not reading all answer choices as a way to save time. That being said, I would think that strategy is less risky on questions that are formulaic (for example, must be true questions driven by conditional/formal logic).
  • nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    The LSAT Trainer identifies the ability to eliminate wrong answer choices as being a consistent attribute of top scorers (at least for LR—separate discussion for LG). So, 7sage and Trainer hand in hand—eliminate wrong choices, THEN confirm the right answer.
  • blah170blahblah170blah Alum Inactive ⭐
    3545 karma
    I know what you mean about just KNOWING an answer choice is right. When I'm 100% confident something is the right answer, I'll circle it and do a mental scan of the other choices. When I'm not 100% confident but somewhat confident something is the right answer, I'll circle it, eliminate the others, and write a check mark next to the circled answer choice as a symbol of my verification. Generally, even if you are super sure of an answer, you want to look at the answer choices so you at the very least confirm your right answer.
  • mes08mes08 Alum Member
    578 karma
    Thanks for the input, everyone! I figured as much, but was hopeful there might be a shortcut. I find myself with just enough time to finish LR sections and would've been grateful for another minute or two lol.
    7965 karma
    Keep practicing—especially effective eliminations—and you'll get faster!
  • emli1000emli1000 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    3462 karma
    Yes! Read every answer choice. Sometimes you get the right answer choice by POE and the only time I am able to just skip reading all of the answer choices has been on LGs. Since my game boards are always split it's easier to just look for the answer and move on to the next question.
  • sarkisp23sarkisp23 Alum Member
    374 karma
    @kingofclubs323 "the LSAT writers are weirdos who get off on anticipating how test takers would think and serving up trap answer choices based on what we would think the answer choice is"

I know this is an old thread but I read that line and burst out laughing in the library and people looked over at me LOL
  • mjjohns6mjjohns6 Member
    418 karma
    Always. POE will get you to a 175+
    7965 karma
    POE is a necessary condition for 175+ ... Don't want to dole out false hope by reversing sufficiency/necessity ... #lawgicjokes

175+ --> POE