Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LSAT Flex and Pens

shoulderowl2020shoulderowl2020 Alum Member
in General 12 karma

Hi, all!

After some fits and starts and a few delays, I'm finally signed up, ready, and excited to take the June LSAT Flex test. And as I begin practice testing in earnest, I'm left with one question: Are Flex test takers able to use an ink pen during the test?

I ask because when I'm able to draw up my Logic Games game boards using a pen instead of a pencil, I find my game boards are tidier and that makes getting through the games simpler. I consistently score three or four points better on Logic Games when I'm able to use a pen.

I understand LSAC provided an ink pen to those who took the digital LSAT and I'm hopeful those of us taking the Flex test will also be able to use one. But before I start practicing with a pen, I thought I should ask the group to see if May Flex test takers were able to use a pen or if anyone has information I don't.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Oni LSATOni LSAT Alum Member
    218 karma

The only writing tool available to test-takers on the LSAT-Flex are No. 2/HB pencils and a highlighter. Pen and mechanical pencils are not permitted.

I would transition from pen to regular pencil.

• Jonathan WangJonathan Wang Yearly Sage
    6866 karma

If you're concerned and don't want to ruffle any feathers, use a blue or green highlighter (not yellow, for obvious reasons). Shows up well and serves the same purpose.

I have no idea why highlighters are still permitted and pens still forbidden now that there's no scantron to screw up (and no paper at all, really). But given that they are, you can stay within the letter of the law pretty easily.