Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help: tips for LR & LR tutor experience/recommendation?

edited May 2020 in Logical Reasoning 414 karma

Hello all,

I feel like my LR is getting worse, and I'm thinking about whether I should look for an online tutor.
My goal is to get my LR down to -1/-2 consistently, but in reality I average around -5.
My LR performance during a full 5-section-PT is also worse than when I do them as a timed drill.

I am really curious to hear from those who have worked/been working with a tutor for LR.
What was your experience like? Did you see any benefits/results?
Do you recommend any tutor specifically? Do you have suggestions on who I should maybe avoid (you can pm me!!)?

And any general LR tips are also very much appreciated!

Comments

• ChloeeeeChloeeee Member
    edited May 2020 135 karma

following! My LR scores are stagnating around -6 for quite a while, and I also aim to get -3 in total.
    I usually blind review all the questions, including those I initially felt confident. Then, I study the video explanations and take notes. I also review the starred questions that I find important. But my score is still stuck 😢😢😢
    I think there are at least two problems on my LR. First, I sometimes fail to pay attention to all the useful details in the stimuli and ACs, given the very limited time. Second, I cannot avoid overthinking or adding my subtle assumptions to the questions. Maybe there are more problems that I haven't realized.
    Thanks for any advice!!!

help

• MarkmarkMarkmark Alum Member
    976 karma

@btownsquee She was my tutor and helped me go from ~159/160 to getting a blind review score in the mid/high 170s and a pt score of about 168. Highly recommended!!

• Kris4444Kris4444 Member
    266 karma

I definitely recommend @"Cant Get Right" been meeting with him for about a month and while we've mostly been focusing on RC he can help with any section. Especially when it comes to walking through strategies to get those extra 2 or 3 questions right he understands the test well and can help you overcome your weak spots. Good luck!

• 7sage1237sage123 Member
    130 karma

@"Habeas Porpoise" has been a great LR tutor for me! I like how her style focuses specifically on my weak areas so that we can go over the most meaningful topics.

• 414 karma

@Chloeeee said:
    following! My LR scores are stagnating around -6 for quite a while, and I also aim to get -3 in total.
    I usually blind review all the questions, including those I initially felt confident. Then, I study the video explanations and take notes. I also review the starred questions that I find important. But my score is still stuck 😢😢😢
    I think there are at least two problems on my LR. First, I sometimes fail to pay attention to all the useful details in the stimuli and ACs, given the very limited time. Second, I cannot avoid overthinking or adding my subtle assumptions to the questions. Maybe there are more problems that I haven't realized.
    Thanks for any advice!!!

help

Have you read The Loophole? I used to have a similar issue as you with overlooking details. Although I do sometimes still make translation errors, doing Ellen's translation drills helped me overcome that a lot!

• 414 karma

Thank you @Markmark @"christina.parchem" @7sage123 for your recommendations!

• ChloeeeeChloeeee Member
    135 karma

@"caffeine powered human" said:

@Chloeeee said:
    Thanks for any advice!!!

help

Have you read The Loophole? I used to have a similar issue as you with overlooking details. Although I do sometimes still make translation errors, doing Ellen's translation drills helped me overcome that a lot!

Thank you!! :) More than one person has recommended me this book. So I have checked it out, it will be ordered next week. I'm looking forward to it!!

• Habeas PorpoiseHabeas Porpoise Alum Member Sage
    1866 karma

@7sage123 Thanks for the shoutout :blush:

@"caffeine powered human" @Chloeeee I'm happy to help if you're still interested in tutoring sessions! Feel free to message me anytime :)