Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Personal Advice Re: Waiting one more cycle

Jahn.SnowJahn.Snow Member
edited June 2020 in General 316 karma

Hi everyone! Hope you are all doing well!

I am debating whether to apply this cycle or wait until the next. I am currently PT-ing around 155 and am foolproofing LG now (diagnostic was 148 in October, but didn't seriously start studying until mid April). My goal is absolutely 170+ as I need the scholarship money. My initial plan is to take the October exam. I know I can achieve this score on the exam, but I'm aware that a 15 point jump from now until then is not a guarantee so I'm not sure if I can do it in this timeframe, and on top of that I have to work on my applications and do my part time job and apply for a full time job- If I apply this cycle I would try to apply by the end of October to be early.

My question is: is balancing studying and applying doable in this time frame? I have to find a full time job anyway even if I apply this cycle, and I do not mind waiting one more cycle (which would give me a lot more time to get the score I want on the LSAT and apply).

My other concern is with LORs. I graduated from college in 19' and just completed a Fulbright grant, so I'm just one year out of college. I have a good relationship with most of my recommenders but I'm nervous if I wait to ask my profs next summer the LORs wont be as strong as it'll be 2 years since I was in their classroom. Is it possible to ask them to write it this summer even if I might be applying next year?

Thank you in advance! I'm sorry this post is a little all over the place .Just trying to get insight into the process and timing to decide what's realistic for me.

Comments

• LawHokageLawHokage Yearly Member
    edited June 2020 129 karma

I would recommend you wait another cycle, so you get your life situation figured out. There's nothing wrong with taking time off in order to fully prepare for the admission process & study for the LSAT. It seems you are trying to balance a lot of things all at once, but you realistically should be just focusing on improving your LSAT score. Your LSAT score is probably 80 - 90% of your admission to a good law school and being boggled by all the other things you currently have going on will realistically hinder your own progression in getting a 170+. Your LOR aren't weighed as heavily as your GPA & LSAT Scores which are the two biggest factors in getting accepted into law school. Take it one step at a time and focus intently on each thing you want to do fully, instead of having your mind fixated on several different tasks. If you're concerned that the LOR won't be as strong, then just ask them to write a generalized letter and have the professors who wrote it for you to revise them closer to your application date. Keep good relations with the people who are writing your letters and update them periodically about your life, so they know how you are doing. But honestly, if you want to get a 170+ focus on improving your LSAT score first and foremost.

• EagerestBeaverEagerestBeaver Alum Member
    703 karma

Absolutely you can ask your professors to write letters of recommendation now despite applying later. You are totally right, the closer they write those letters to having had you in class, the more personal/better they will be. Reach out now, say you are applying, have them write them over the summer. No skin off their back if you wait another cycle. Get those LOR requests out now.

• lsatplaylistlsatplaylist Live Member
    5249 karma

It sounds like you graduated recently. It's fine to take some time to gain experience in jobs before going back to school. At the same time, FT work can be very consuming and as more years go by, work and home responsibilities tend to increase, and it is possible that financial obligations may increase as well. Sometimes academic goals can get lost or feel more out of reach as other obligations are attended to, yet being a nontraditional student can be an admissions advantage. For one thing, it probably gives you lots of options for stuff to write about for the many essays schools either require or make optional. One thing some people have done is enroll PT, but not every school has this option. Fulbrights help round out resumes. Does a public service program interest you? They provide stipends that can be used for tuition.