Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TIPS for Reading Comp

Hi everyone! I hope you all are killing the study grind! Anyways, I was wondering if anyone had some tips on Reading Comp? I understand what JY is doing, but I am not seeing much improvement in my score. I understand there might not be a lot of strategy to Reading Comp, but I didn't know if any of you might be doing something that works for you?

Thanks again!

Comments

• noonawoonnoonawoon Alum Member
    3481 karma

Focus on connecting what you read in one paragraph to what you already read in the prior paragraph. Don't rush through a passage - the more you understand upfront, the less you have to reference the passage for questions.

• danielbrowning208danielbrowning208 Alum Member
    531 karma

Try spending more time reading the passage. With that, move through the questions aggressively. Try to avoid getting stuck on any one particular question. If the question is difficult, give it your best guess and skip to return later if you have time. Because you are spending more time up front, you need to trust your reading and understanding of the passage as you move through the questions.

While reading, focus on the overall structure of the passage. For every paragraph and sentence even, ask yourself "Why did the author include this?" and "How does this contribute to the main point?". I hope this helps!

• 246 karma

I could write a very long post about my approach, but I really, really enjoyed Blueprint’s approach to the reading comp section. They basically break down every passage into three i.e. one voice (thesis passages) two voices (antithesis) and three voices (synthesis). Once you’re able to see this structure to reading comp, they seem to get a lot easier. They have a book on Amazon that I would recommend purchasing.