PT71.S3.Q23-- medical school professor (this question was HARD)

DarklordDarklord Alum Member
edited June 2020 in Logical Reasoning 586 karma

Hi,

So the correct answer here was E. I can see why all the wrong answers are wrong, but I had a really hard time accepting that E is right because I saw "doctors" here as referring to ALL doctors (and I don't think we know anything about all doctors from this stimulus). I made this inference because from past experience in other LSAT preptests, in the absence of quantifying language like some/most, I thought that we construe it to refer to ALL (ie PT70.S4.Q18, where E is correct because "managers" refers to ALL managers).

Help

Thanks!
Best regards

Admin Note: https://7sage.com/lsat_explanations/lsat-71-section-3-question-23/

Comments

• ARMANC74ARMANC74 Member
    210 karma

you're not allowed to discuss specific questions lol

• DarklordDarklord Alum Member
    586 karma

@ARMANC74 I am requesting help for a particular preptest question, not the actual flex exam (for preptests, I think it is ok as long as we don't cite the actual text in our question)

• ARMANC74ARMANC74 Member
    210 karma

@Darklord my bad homie ahaha

• mhf.andrewmhf.andrew Member
    207 karma

Good question. I have a love/hate relationship with ambiguity on the LSAT.
    In your example on PT. 70, does not 'typically' (used once in the stimulus, and once in the correct AC) serve as a quantifier? The stimulus, I believe, allows for some managers to be impacted by said policy, but they are not typical. I think managers refers to managers generally, and as they generally are not impacted by said policy, nothing can be inferred about the typical benefits of said policy.
    The AC on PT. 71 is really shrouded in mystery. If the answer had read some doctors, then it might seem like it does not really support the argument all that much, as the claim was that most malpractice occurs because of....But if it said most, or all, then it might seem completely outside of the stimulus and not supported at all.
    I think the best way to explain this diction is colloquially. Take, for example, the sentence: Professors foster, by their grading, the perception that they are inflating grades. The claim is not some; nor is the claim most. But if there is grade inflation, then there must professors fostering grade inflation. Likewise, if there is a perception among patients that doctors are acting in such a way, and if the stimulus tells us that doctors do indeed act in such a way, then doctors fostered such a perception.

• DarklordDarklord Alum Member
    edited June 2020 586 karma

Yea I think I kind of see what you are saying there @"mhf.andrew": jeez, is there a more reliable way to look at these non-quantified nouns?

Can anyone else bring some insight to this?

• InvisibleInvisible Alum Member
    32 karma

When I was reading this stimulus I felt like it was missing a link between doctors’ rudeness and negligence/carelessness lawsuits. Although it wasn’t an assumption question, it really helped to think of it such way. The missing link is that the rudeness and lack of compassion is being perceived as being careless and negligent to patients. Hope this helps.