Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A motivational story: 138-161 and finally going to law school, Thank you 7sage

lsatgodjklsatgodjk Alum Member
in General 938 karma

I was sitting down at a hotel lobby getting ready to take my first LSAT ever. I remember reading huge words and arguments and thought to myself: "Ok, I will never be a lawyer, this is only the entrance exam and I can barely shake it, how am I ever going to be an attorney?

I got a 138, and only about 5 questions right on Logic games. After studying for about 3 months, (not very many hours per week) I finally took a official LSAT and got a 147. I needed a 155 to have a decent shot at the regional school I wanted to attend - I got denied.

Fast forward a year and I study for a few more weeks, thinking I only need a little bit of improvement to scrape together that 155. I was wrong, I took another official test but cancelled because I knew I wasn't going to get that 155. At this point I thought I was NEVER going to law school.

I came across J.Y., his amazing team, and this amazing group of people here on 7sage. I decided to quit my job and dedicate 6 full months to really learn the LSAT, like from the bottom up. I mastered games first through full-proofing and then LR, and then on to RC. My highest PT was 161 and that's what I actually got on game day.

With my new and improved 161 score, I was accepted into the school that previously denied me, and I was awarded $100,000 in scholarship to attend. 2 years ago when I applied with my 147, I would have been ECSTATIC to attend even if I had to pay full sticker price. I am a firm believer that when one door closes, another one opens, with the condition that you work hard and never give up!

These are my tips for anyone who thinks they can't learn the LSAT, and advice for anyone considering delaying a cycle for a stronger LSAT.

1) The LSAT is VERY learnable, trust me, I didn't know how to read properly and put in the time and work and learned it.
2) Practice with earlier PT's as MUCH as you can, please save more recent PT's for ACTUAL PT's. (My advice would be to save PT60+ for actual PTS)
3) There is a lot of value in redoing problems, ESPECIALLY games, I've done several games at least 20 times.
4) If you can afford it, it's worth it to take the time off to get a better LSAT instead of rushing into a cycle.
5) Could I have gotten a better score? I think so. I think my 138-161 took about 4 months of 30 hours a week, I'm a slow learner, some people could make that jump in 2 months. I believe that if I took another 2-3 months to practice, then I maybe could have broke 170.

Thanks for reading, I've been waiting months/years to make this post. Please reach out with any questions!

TLDR: Went from 138 and thinking I was never going to be a lawyer to accepted with a 161 and having about 2/3 of my tuition paid.

Comments

• have_fun_have_fun_ Yearly Member
    14 karma

Thank you so much for sharing! Really motivational!

• sabzzeefsabzzeef Member
    27 karma

Thank you for sharing! Congrats!

• RelentlessRelentless Core Member
    323 karma

Well done! :)

• FarhanSoloFarhanSolo Alum Member
    72 karma

You're Awesome!

• GabriellaGabriella Yearly Member
    13 karma

Wow! Congrats!!

• ahnendc-1ahnendc-1 Member
    642 karma

Congratulations!!

• Hopeful9812Hopeful9812 Member
    872 karma

Congratulations!! Great story!!

• wonsuh1076wonsuh1076 Member
    68 karma

congrats

• miriaml7miriaml7 Live Member
    edited June 2020 1013 karma

Congratulations! Thanks for taking the time to write this:)

• Did I StutterDid I Stutter Member
    edited June 2020 384 karma

I love to read stories like this! It reminds me to stay motivated! Thanks so much for sharing and congrats on your success!

• Law and YodaLaw and Yoda Alum Member
    4300 karma

Conrats! I'm glad you never gave up!

• the19rowsthe19rows Member
    38 karma

Thank you so much for posting this. I am in the exact same situation right now and needed to hear this.

• kilgoretroutkilgoretrout Alum Member
    795 karma

good for you :) that's so great to hear

• Confidence150Confidence150 Alum Member
    1417 karma

Congratulations. Very inspiring

• lsatplaylistlsatplaylist Member
    5249 karma

Praise for sticking with your goals. Celebrate your acceptance and scholarship!

• Jahn.SnowJahn.Snow Member
    316 karma

Huge congrats!!!

• J.Y. PingJ.Y. Ping Administrator Instructor
    13940 karma

@lsatgodjk This is so great. Congratulations on your hard earned success. ✌️

• Ns123456Ns123456 Alum Member
    54 karma

Congrats!! I needed this

• JurisJourdanJurisJourdan Alum Member
    57 karma

Congrats! Thanks for sharing!

• mangart23mangart23 Alum Member
    25 karma

I love this, I hope that I can share a story like this several months from now. You did it congrats!

• DefenderDefender Alum Member
    348 karma

CONGRATS!!!! Way to stick it out and work hard!

• ValianthopeValianthope Core Member
    26 karma

Congrats and thank you for sharing. I love to read posts like these before starting my prep,it lets me know there are people who were where I am and have reached where I want to be.

• MichaelJM1989MichaelJM1989 Core Member
    64 karma

Absolutely savage! Congrats!

• rlawyer79rlawyer79 Alum Member
    16 karma

Congratulations, that is incredible and extremely inspiring! I wish you the best luck in law school and your career!

• randyyyy98randyyyy98 Member
    61 karma

Congratulations!! Great work

• Waffle23Waffle23 Alum Member
    603 karma

This amazing progress. All the best to you. Congrats!!

• 8 karma

This is really nice to hear! I'm currently stuck at a 150 and felt like I would never improve but your post gave me some motivation! So for the first half of your PT's did you take them untimed?

• julianaporoye27julianaporoye27 Alum Member
    196 karma

Congrats!

• doxies16doxies16 Core Member
    12 karma

Congratulations! Hard work pays off!

• lsatgodjklsatgodjk Alum Member
    938 karma

@"loscalzo.maddie" said:
    This is really nice to hear! I'm currently stuck at a 150 and felt like I would never improve but your post gave me some motivation! So for the first half of your PT's did you take them untimed?

Hey, please message me and I can try to help you!

938 karma

Thanks for all the comments and kind words, really bringing tears to my eyes!

If anyone has questions please DM me so it's a little easier for us to communicate!

• FindingSageFindingSage Alum Member
    2042 karma

This is an awesome story and really confirms for me why I was so sure I was going to go to law school for 2020 but decided to wait because I didn’t have the LSAT score. You got into the school you wanted and are getting $100,000! This is amazing, congrats!

• Penguin AmyPenguin Amy Yearly Member
    71 karma

Congratulations! Stories like this give me so much hope. I’m currently on the lower scoring side and questioning whether or not I’ll make it to law school. I was waitlisted the last application cycle with a 145, but decided to draw my applications due to financial reasons.

Thank you so much for sharing!

• natalienardonatalienardo Core Member
    24 karma

Thank you so much for sharing! Congratulations! Your hard work and dedication pays off.

• ReginaSpiewakJonesReginaSpiewakJones Alum Member
    177 karma

Amazing - congratulations and thank you for sharing your inspirational story!

• shangz9701shangz9701 Alum Member
    6 karma

congratulations!!

• diann.penadiann.pena Member
    11 karma

Thank you for sharing this I started off with the same score as you and I just got denied from a regional law school. This is really motivating I will keep pushing! Thanks!

• Folso102Folso102 Yearly Member
    61 karma

this is so awesome!! Congrats!!!

• lsatplaylistlsatplaylist Member
    5249 karma

@diann.pena, Don't give up. We're here for you.

• Ultra_Instinct_LSATUltra_Instinct_LSAT Live Member
    128 karma

These stories give us hope! Keep them coming. Thank you for sharing!

• Jeff----Jeff---- Alum Member
    205 karma

What a great story, and one that resembles very much to a lot of our stories here. It is an example that it can be done even when we think we won't make it. Thank you of sharing and congratulations.

• moonflowermoonflower Alum Member
    10 karma

Congratulations! What an amazing and inspiring story!

• cris1222cris1222 Member
    186 karma

Congratulations! So deserved!

• LSAT LSATLSAT LSAT Core Member
    9 karma

Congratulations!! Thank you for sharing!!

• LawrealtyLawrealty Core Member
    71 karma

Thanks for sharing... Congratulations!

• fitzmau5fitzmau5 Core Member
    14 karma

Wow! Congratulations!!

• Steven_B-1Steven_B-1 Member
    794 karma

Congratulations!!!! Thanks for the monday dose of inspiration.

edited August 2022 938 karma

Hi everyone. Sorry that I haven't replied to any messages or comments since I began law school. It has been a very busy last 2 years.

I wanted to revisit this forum because I really appreciated the community here at 7sage. It is crazy to realize that I start 3L about 2 weeks. If anyone is interested to know how my "journey" has been since I finished the LSAT, please reach out some way and I would be happy to share my law school experience. Please provide any questions you may have. I want to continue to motivate and give back to this community because I would not be where I am today without 7Sage. Thanks for your time.