Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LSAT Flex June just took it (huge complaint)

letmein_____letmein_____ Alum Member
edited June 2020 in June 2020 LSAT 60 karma

I can't discuss the test material, but I do have a huge complaint about the flex. The proctor kept interrupting me during the test on every section because they couldn't see the paper I was writing on. It was absolutely ridiculous. They took up atleast 3-5 minutes on every section telling me to be in the camera. I was right infront of the computer but i guess when i put my head down to write they couldn't see what I was writing. These things were not notified to me and they didn't warn me about these possible interruptions. So, i was really disorientated when they proctor started talking during the test. 3-5 mins was only the actual time they took up, but by continuously interrupting, they kept breaking my concentration. It was absolutely ridiculous. I wanna add that I'm not a low scorer, im in the 170+ range. For future flex takers, firmly tell your proctor to SHUT THE FUCK UP before you take the test. Literally wasted a year of studying for the June test only to be sabotaged by the proctor in India. Excuse my language but you would understand if you were in my shoes.

Comments

• EddieMEddieM Alum Member
    279 karma

Ugh. That really, really sucks.

• kelseyperkins1192kelseyperkins1192 Core Member
    66 karma

My proctor also talked to me! I was like uhhh can you pause the test if you’re gonna talk to me!?

• leah8282leah8282 Alum Member
    75 karma

same experience. lost at least 3-5 minutes on RC and LG because apparently I was looking too closely at my screen or my paper.

• noonawoonnoonawoon Alum Member
    3481 karma

Hey dude, I’m really sorry to hear that and hope LSAC resolves the issue for you. But I’m not sure why it was necessary for you to specify “in India”

• madi2639madi2639 Member
    117 karma

Sorry that happened to you. I hope LSAC can help! Why does it matter that the proctor was Indian, though?

• Climb_to_170Climb_to_170 Alum Member
    426 karma

Well -- that took an unexpectedly racist turn.

• nanabillannanabillan Member
    edited June 2020 347 karma

that is RIDICULOUS! I am so sorry that happened to you. LSAC will offer you a coupon most likely but what a waste of time, energy, and now you will be worried about next time. I would specifically ask them for a proctor who has proctored the LSAT already and has had 0 complaints for next time.

• kilgoretroutkilgoretrout Alum Member
    795 karma

Wow that's my biggest fear for the July test -- that the proctor will interrupt me and waste my time/focus. How could I go about making sure this doesn't happen before the test starts? Can we ask them to not speak to us? Sounds a bit awkward if you ask me

• edited June 2020 124 karma

Interesting, I was interrupted via pop up and my proctor would not speak to me even when I specifically asked them to - I don't understand why the LSAC hasn't clarified some of these basics. When I called the LSAC they offered a retake but loss of this score. When I asked about stopping the clock or getting time the LSAC person on the phone insisted they can not stop the clock which I know to be incorrect, but she would not concede. So emailing the LSAC to have this info. I'm stressed because if July does not go through I will not be able to start in in 2020. ProctorU has not done a smooth roll out and the LSAC does not seem to be on top of things either.

• Ben butinBen butin Alum Member
    112 karma

My entire Test Crashed Mid test so just hate the flex overall hahahah Hoping for an in person test in august

• Frenchy555Frenchy555 Live Member
    393 karma

I'm taking the LSAT-Flex in July and had a thought that I think might prevent this (or not). I'm considering turning my speaker volume nice and low so in case the proctor decides to interrupt me I can at-least ignore it effectively until I finish the question I am focusing in on. I'm not sure if doing this is allowed but if I get interrupted during a hard RC question there would be no return for me and I've been prepping for around 6/7 months now. If the volume turns out to be an actual problem just attribute it to speaker issues that are out of your control (broken buttons on your monitor maybe?) Let me know if this is reckless.

• lexxx745lexxx745 Alum Member Sage
    3190 karma

damn LOL

• legallyconfusedlegallyconfused Alum Member
    edited December 2020 350 karma

deleted

• sassysydthekidsassysydthekid Core Member
    34 karma

That sounds like an awful experience but that's no excuse to make racist comments and low key disparage people who aren't scoring 170+....

• Lizardking-1Lizardking-1 Member
    358 karma

Letmein didn’t make “racist comments.” He mentioned the proctor was from India. If you’ve studied the LSAT at all, you’d recognize that interpreting his vague description as racist is a HUGE assumption. Nothing in his statement supports that conclusion. Why am I always embarrassed to be millennial? #snowflakementality

• Not that JYNot that JY Alum Member
    20 karma

How do you show the proctor your paper, stay in camera, and look at the screen at a comfortable angle all at the same time? My webcam can't do that. I heard the proctors don't normally ask people to keep their scratch paper in view throughout the test. I thought you just had to show them the papers before and after.

3481 karma

@Not_that_JY my proctor didn't ask to keep my paper in frame and I don't think that's an actual rule. You could contact LSAC about it. I don't know why they would give a hoot if they could see your paper while you are writing on it. You have to rip up paper at the end either way.

3481 karma

@LSATisMyFriend Clearly you don't have an understanding of the nuances of racism. Why was it necessary for the OP to specify that the proctor was in India? Moreover, how does the OP know where the proctor was located? The only info I received about my proctor was their name. Sounds like OP is the one making assumptions about the proctor.

• TJTJTJTJTJTJTJTJ Core Member
    124 karma

This would be completely unacceptable for me. I have to write on my paper while doing practice tests for all 3 sections, RC, LG, and LR and I would expect no different for the actual test. For LG, I diagram the game and do hypothetical game boards when it requires it.

For LR, I write down key phrases and convert them into things that make sense to me.

For RC, I take small notes that I think are the main point, disagreements, etc.

Is there any way to alert LSAC that we need to be able to write without distraction from the proctor?

• TJTJTJTJTJTJTJTJ Core Member
    124 karma

@kilgoretrout said:
    Wow that's my biggest fear for the July test -- that the proctor will interrupt me and waste my time/focus. How could I go about making sure this doesn't happen before the test starts? Can we ask them to not speak to us? Sounds a bit awkward if you ask me

I want to know the same answer. We are already limited on time as it is, we cannot afford these proctors to be interrupting us during our exams just because they don't know what the rules are and that writing is required as part of the exam.

• Aristotle JonesAristotle Jones Alum Member
    166 karma

Some of you all are focusing on the wrong things. It doesn’t matter if the person behind this post is a 170+ scorer, and it doesn’t matter — though extremely questionable — why he said his proctor was from India.

What matters is that this proctor continuously interrupted this person as they took one of the biggest test of their life. We all know how much time and energy we put into this test, and for LSAC to know that and hire someone who doesn’t, is extremely negligent and inconsiderate.

• digiyayadigiyaya Alum Member
    17 karma

Does LSAC have twitter handler so test takers could tweet their "flex" experience? May be they know about these technical time traps and are hopefully factoring them into the scores in the spirit of fairness!

• BibimbobBibimbob Member
    40 karma

I am going to use my laptop for the test, and I don't think it is at all possible to keep any scrap papers within my laptop camera view's frame