Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Questions about tutoring

sidlaws10sidlaws10 Member
in General 21 karma

Hi everyone. I did the Khan academy test prep, but made the mistake of really only doing the tests and not really trying to learn anything. I started 7sage a few weeks ago and am working my way through the CC now. I know I would like to have a tutor but I am curious when the best time to get a tutor is/when most people accept students. Is now a good time to seek a tutor? Or do I need to be doing PTs to benefit from a tutor? Thanks!

Comments

• Chris NguyenChris Nguyen Alum Member Administrator Sage 7Sage Tutor
    4577 karma

I cannot stress the positive impacts that a tutor can have on your score and to steer you in the right direction. Being taught by one myself, I was doing things that I wasn't supposed to be and it was challenging to fix bad habits that I was doing and turn them into good ones. But if you start now, even if it's just one session a month, a tutor can help you learn good habits before you learn the bad habits.

• sarahisksarahisk Member
    272 karma

I started studying with a tutor a little over a month ago and I don't regret it one bit! However, I will say that tutoring can be expensive because it is such a valuable service. Your score should see a good amount if improvement just by doing your due diligence with the CC and absorbing the fundamentals of logic.
    I wouldn't recommend getting a tutor until you feel that your PT scores are starting to plateau. You shouldn't be paying money for help on things the CC will teach you. If you feel like you need help on fundamentals, the discussion board is a great place to ask for free. You could also find an accountability parter for the CC, so you can ask each other questions about things you might not be getting.
    A tutor can enhance your score by helping you see some of the strategic mistakes you're making. The most valuable thing that I've gotten out of tutoring is a testing strategy that doesn't fail me when I'm stressed out on a specific question or game. It's definitely worth the money to have a tutor help you to become a more mindful and confident test taker, but I would hold off until you're done with the CC.