Query failed: connection to 172.31.3.4:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Flex Advice #help - 7Sage Forum

Flex Advice #help

kcrawfordutahkcrawfordutah Member
in General 10 karma

Hi! I'm taking the July flex. I've read a lot complaints about the test being proctored poorly and about proctors requiring things that seem a bit impossible, like keeping the computer/webcam far enough away that the proctor can see everything that I'm writing on my scratch paper and and also my face. With my computer, I have to put the computer far across the table (too far to be able to read anything or even type) in order to show both my face and an entire sheet of scratch paper). I've also read about other strange issues like being interrupted for looking too closely at the screen?

Does anyone have any advice about what I can do to help make sure the flex goes smoothly for me? Has anyone said anything to their proctors before the test to lay out any sort of ground rules and expectations? I'm also wondering if anyone bought a different webcam setup to mitigate any of this? Thanks in advance! Just feeling a bit jittery after reading all these horror stories.

Comments

• danielbrowning208danielbrowning208 Alum Member
    531 karma

The Flex went smoothly for me in May. As a general rule, those who had a bad experience will be more vocal than those who had a good one. Just follow LSAC's and ProctorU's listed rules and you will probably be fine. If not, then reach out to LSAC and try to sort it out. From what I hear, they have been fairly understanding so far.

I used my laptop webcam, and the proctor definitely could not see my entire sheet of scratch paper. But that was not an issue at all for me. Furthermore, I have not seen a rule that states the scratch paper must be entirely visible at all times, but I could have missed it.

Don't let the horror stories get to you. Let them prepare you to have the mental fortitude to deal with issues, but don't go in dreading something horrible happening to you.

• noonawoonnoonawoon Alum Member
    3481 karma

It seems like either you get a good proctor or you get a bad one and demand a retake. I'm not sure laying out ground rules at the beginning would help. The proctors do get sent rules beforehand by LSAC. So either they follow those rules and proctor smoothly or they ignore them. But if they ignore them and proctor poorly, I'm not sure trying to explain the rules beforehand to them would help.