Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LR Preptest questions on circular reasoning flaw

Hello everyone,

I was wondering, could any of you guys point me to actual LR Preptest questions that have circular reasoning as the flaw? i.e. - any questions that have "presupposes as evidence the conclusion that it is trying to establish." Preferably questions from before Preptest 39 would be really great! Thank you so much.

Comments

• NerfThisNerfThis Alum Member
    173 karma

I've gone through most of the preptests and questions and I recall only once (maybe twice) where the correct answer/actual flaw was actually circular reasoning.

It almost never appeared before and I can't imagine it becoming more common in the near future either.

• BullfroggerBullfrogger Member
    184 karma

I was just thinking yesterday that as often as that is an answer choice for flaw questions I've never seen one in which it is correct.

• 425 karma

I don't have a specific example for you, but let me explain circular reasoning in my own words.

A conclusion is a claim that needs supporting. The supporting is done by the premises/subsidiary conclusion. If your support (premises) merely restates or paraphrases your conclusion without actually providing reason to accept the conclusion, that is circular reasoning. Basically, it is when the premises assume that the conclusion is already true. The conclusion cannot be evidence for itself.

I hope this helps you to identify more circular reasoning flaws.

Nicole

• dazedandconfused-1dazedandconfused-1 Member
    258 karma

Thank you for all the answers - and yeah, I've been thinking the same too haha. I see so many of those choices as one of the answer choices but don't think I can recall seeing an actual stimulus where the correct flaw is circular reasoning.

• Lawfulness29Lawfulness29 Member
    307 karma

I just found an example of circular reasoning being the correct description of a flaw in a section today. Check out PT36 Section 2 Q.10. Hope it helps!

• dazedandconfused-1dazedandconfused-1 Member
    258 karma

@nelliottsmith Thank you for this! super clutch. Just to clarify why it's circular reasoning -
    C: Cotrell is, at best, able to write magazine articles of average quality.
    P: "...since Cotrell, who is incapable of writing an article that is better than average"
    This particular premise is presupposing what it seeks to establish, which is answer choice C). Is this a correct way of understanding the flaw?

• TrigirlESQTrigirlESQ Member
    69 karma

82 1 22 has circular reasoning

• Lawfulness29Lawfulness29 Member
    edited June 2020 307 karma

Exactly! Circular reasoning tends to be more of a filler wrong answer choice, but when the author employs this type of flawed reason in a stimulus the test makers always rephrase the conclusion & premise so that it is not completely obvious. Whenever I see an AC paraphrasing circular reasoning I quickly scan the stim to see if a premise was rephrased as a conclusion or vice verse. Another example would be 17.2.2. Happy studies!