Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PT50-S4 -Q13

OldLadyKOldLadyK Alum Member
edited June 2020 in Logical Reasoning 396 karma

Hello Community,
I'm drilling SA questions (because I suck at them) and I came across this "gem" that really shook what little confidence I DO have on these question types.
I picked out the conclusion and premise with no trouble but then when I went into the answer choices, I was thoroughly confused. I scratched off B early on as it's restating a premise and conclusion we already have, but this turns out to be the right answer. I thought this was a trap and was sure it couldn't be right, but nothing else looked good either. Can anyone give me some insight as to what the heck I'm missing? Is it just because of the matching conditional structure? Any help and explanations (super dumbed-down for this old lady) would be greatly appreciated!

Admin Note:https://7sage.com/lsat_explanations/lsat-50-section-4-question-13/

Comments

• SSBM1000SSBM1000 Member
    edited June 2020 614 karma

B is the correct answer because it links the premises regarding old photographs and the conclusion together. The argument states "recycling old photographs overstates the similarities between past and present", and then the argument says that because of this, "it distorts public understanding of the present...", without explaining why. Answer choice B basically says that if recycling old photographs overstates the similarities between past and present, then it always distorts public understanding of the present by presenting current events as mere repetitions of historical incidents, thus proving the author's assumption to be correct.

• OldLadyKOldLadyK Alum Member
    edited June 2020 396 karma

@SSBM1000 Thank you for your explanation. I returned to the stimulus and mapped it out accordingly, and it makes sense now. In all honesty, I think the fact that the wording from stimulus to ACs was so exact (not changed or disguised in some way) made me suspicious that it was a trap answer. I was handed a loaf of bread, and it looked like a loaf bread, but I decided to call it a cat! Craziness. Thank you for taking the time to help and I hope your studies are going well!