Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any tips for grasping Sufficient Assumption questions?

lexi.livanoslexi.livanos Core Member

Hi!

I was doing moderately well with the cc until I hit Sufficient Assumption questions. I cannot for the life of me figure them out. I know they are supposed to be freebies but I stare at them without having any idea where even to start mapping out the stimulus. Does anyone have any tips or tricks to really being able to conquer these questions?

Thank you!

Comments

• NerfThisNerfThis Alum Member
    edited June 2020 173 karma

Sufficient assumption questions are all about noticing the G A P. An easy way to do notice it is by correctly labeling what is the premise and what is the conclusion (as well as knowing what parts are just context and fluff).

Usually, least for the easier ones, once you separate the conclusion from the premise theres often a new idea introduced in the conclusion that wasn't stated in the premise. This is the GAP. SA questions will ask you to take that new idea in the conclusion that link it to the idea that the premise gives.

Example: Candidates who are qualified end up as outstanding employee. Therefore, since we want outstanding employees at our company, we hired Lexi.

Notice the GAP? The conclusion introduced a new idea (Lexi) that wasn't part of the premise. We need to link it to the premise which will be something along the lines of: "Lexi is qualified". Because if we don't link, there is nothing in the stimulus indicating that Lexi will be an outstanding employee. Only after we link "Lexi" and "qualified" can we logically be led to the conclusion that therefore Lexi will be an outstanding employee and that is why she was hired.

• DINOSAURDINOSAUR Member
    edited June 2020 591 karma

Agree with NerfThis! Also harder SA questions hide the gap very well. You have to pay attention to every wording. Pay attention to shift of terms. I remember there is a SA question that says as follows: "If......, then we hold large professional conferences in the city. If we hold large conferences in the city, then ......" Did you notice the shift of term? Large professional conference is not the same as large conferences, even though we in normal life we would normally think so. But this is a gap in SA questions. Don't be fooled!

• lexi.livanoslexi.livanos Core Member
    36 karma

@NerfThis said:
    Sufficient assumption questions are all about noticing the G A P. An easy way to do notice it is by correctly labeling what is the premise and what is the conclusion (as well as knowing what parts are just context and fluff).

Usually, least for the easier ones, once you separate the conclusion from the premise theres often a new idea introduced in the conclusion that wasn't stated in the premise. This is the GAP. SA questions will ask you to take that new idea in the conclusion that link it to the idea that the premise gives.

Example: Candidates who are qualified end up as outstanding employee. Therefore, since we want outstanding employees at our company, we hired Lexi.

Notice the GAP? The conclusion introduced a new idea (Lexi) that wasn't part of the premise. We need to link it to the premise which will be something along the lines of: "Lexi is qualified". Because if we don't link, there is nothing in the stimulus indicating that Lexi will be an outstanding employee. Only after we link "Lexi" and "qualified" can we logically be led to the conclusion that therefore Lexi will be an outstanding employee and that is why she was hired.

Thank you!! Quick follow up-do you find yourself mapping out the stimulus? Or is that more of a fall back if you narrow down answer choices?

36 karma

@DINOSAUR said:
    Agree with NerfThis! Also harder SA questions hide the gap very well. You have to pay attention to every wording. Pay attention to shift of terms. I remember there is a SA question that says as follows: "If......, then we hold large professional conferences in the city. If we hold large conferences in the city, then ......" Did you notice the shift of term? Large professional conference is not the same as large conferences, even though we in normal life we would normally think so. But this is a gap in SA questions. Don't be fooled!

Thank you! I will definitely make sure to be actively aware of those tricks!

• comebackszncomebackszn Member
    18 karma

@"lexi.livanos" said:

@NerfThis said:

Thank you!! Quick follow up-do you find yourself mapping out the stimulus? Or is that more of a fall back if you narrow down answer choices?

For me, I map it out when not timing myself or during BR. On actual timed or PTs, you don't really have time to map it out, especially on harder SA questions. Over time, you get a better feel for finding the missing gap between the premise and conclusion.

36 karma

@hieuyyle said:

@"lexi.livanos" said:

@NerfThis said:

For me, I map it out when not timing myself or during BR. On actual timed or PTs, you don't really have time to map it out, especially on harder SA questions. Over time, you get a better feel for finding the missing gap between the premise and conclusion.

Okay great thank you! That's pretty much what i'm noticing is that when you're under a time constraint you don't have the ability to truly write it all out