Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

First LSAT Questions

rwilso22rwilso22 Member
in General 41 karma

I have been studying for about 2 months and am still in the LR section of the CC. I am getting nervous as to how much time I will be able to devote to PTs before my exam in August to have a chance to retake before fall 2021 admissions. Approximately how many should be completed and BR before taking an actual test? Does anyone have any advice on getting through the CC quicker, or which sections would be most important to focus on? Any advice in general would be very helpful. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• LadyLawyerLadyLawyer Alum Member
    146 karma

Following as well! Would love you hear feedback on this since my test is in August as well

• danielbrowning208danielbrowning208 Alum Member
    531 karma

The amount of PTs you need to take will depend on your particular situation and your abilities. You definitely do not want to rush through the CC though, as, by not learning the foundational concepts, it could slow you down or impede your future progress.

If I were you, I would not be set on taking in August if you are not ready, and by "ready" I mean consistently scoring above your goal score on the newer PTs. Applying with a higher LSAT is more important than applying early.

• DarklordDarklord Alum Member
    edited June 2020 586 karma

As @danielbrowning208 said, I think foundation is important. However, I would note that if you are someone who learns faster/better through active doing rather than passive listening, I would just jump straight into PT's. I learn better through active doing, so I never even went through the CC, and jumped from 145 to 170 in around a month of taking PT's and reviewing them (but I haven't been able to get 170+ consistently yet, so don't consider me an LSAT guru)-- just my 2 cents. It wasn't easy (I had to learn/create a lot of the foundational knowledge myself through trial/error), but at the end, I felt like I had a stronger foundation than anything a prepcourse could instill within me (because it is so much easier to remember things that you actively created rather than passively learned)

• jIbookerjIbooker Alum Member
    edited June 2020 152 karma

It depends, of course, on your goal and your confidence with the material. I would reiterate the comments above and also add that August is still very early. You can take the October exam and still apply early. It's more important to be ready to take the LSAT rather than rush through material without having a solid understanding. You got this, good luck!

• Donkle DooDonkle Doo Alum Member
    24 karma

I found each section of the curriculum quite useful for learning the different types of LR questions. However, I think you can make up time by not doing every single practice set in each part. I would do about half the problem sets in each section as I went through it the first time. This has the added bonus of saving extra practice sets for particular question types that you can use later.

Also, I think you'll find that once you make it past the LR section of the core curriculum it speeds up significantly. The games section took me about a quarter of the time the LR section did, and I skipped the reading section entirely as I felt that was the most self explanatory part of the test.

• sk144404sk144404 Core Member
    237 karma

Hi @rwilso22 the CC when you take away a majority of the practice questions comes out to roughly 100hrs. Since you’ll presumably be taking a lot of PT I would advise skipping a lot of the practice exercises and creating your own practice sets after taking a few PTs and using the analytics to see what your weak sections are.

The consensus is to take as many PTs as possible but remember to Blind Review! JY says that that number is ~40/45 PT. Given the time constraints I would shoot for at least 25.

One final note. I listened to JYs videos at 2x speed and found it to be very easy to understand it wasn’t hard to hear at all so you might want to try that and see if it works for you!

Best of Luck!

• Kat AdamsKat Adams Core Member
    15 karma

Hi! I'm in the exact same boat as you, been studying for around 2 months and planning on taking the August LSAT. If you want to talk/go through Prep Tests together, my email is kathryn.e.adams@colorado.edu :)