Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is admissions consulting worth it??

raevco25raevco25 Alum Member

Need advice from anyone who has participated in 7Sage admissions consulting. I have been looking into the option that provides unlimited edits for one document, so I could really focus on my personal statement. For reference, I took the June test so I don't have my scores back, but I have been averaging a 169 on PTs and really want to push my application into some top-tier schools. However, I will be paying for law school apps and haven't been able to work many hours due to COVID, so I really want to be sure that paying for any sort of consulting would be worth the money. Please let me know your experience or any thoughts you have!!

Comments

• EagerestBeaverEagerestBeaver Alum Member
    703 karma

I did unlimited of one document of my personal statement. It was absolutely worth it for me because of the efficiency of the package. You work with them from start of essay to essay completion. The advisors are really experienced, so even if you struggle getting your ideas organized, at no point are you wasting money or effort. Each additional session/read is included in the price. While I hope it does not take you forever to form your thoughts for the essay, even if it did, that would part of the process you are paying for. Once you have your product on paper, they help with unlimited edits. Once you have your first draft written (assuming that you stick with the overarching narrative), the process is very smooth. They help each draft get progressively cleaner until is ready to submit.

You are thinking about doing this because you say you want to push your app to the top tier of school. At that level, the margins matter a lot. The unlimited essay package helps eliminate the possibility of a mistake on your biggest piece of writing and ensures the topic and tone of your is appropriate.

So, is it worth it? It saves you a bunch of energy and helps the quality of your essay on the margins. If you can afford it, I believe that it is. Slide in my DMs if you have questions.

• noonawoonnoonawoon Alum Member
    3481 karma

@EagerestBeaver How many drafts did you have the editor look over?

• EagerestBeaverEagerestBeaver Alum Member
    703 karma

The overall structure of my first draft was what I ended up writing about, so I did not need to go back to the drawing board so to speak. Once I had my first draft, I probably went through five or six drafts.

The way it works is that your consultant edits your drafts continuously both for content and grammar, but when you say it is done/time for the final edit, the package has a legit editor who's only responsibility is grammar/mistake finding. Does that make sense?

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

It wasn't really within my budget so I just spent a lot of time on the application materials and read admissions articles/listened to podcasts/had one free short call, but I didn't have a complicated situation and I'm interested in regional schools, not T14s and such. If someone had an issue they needed professional advice on and/or they wanted help with editing, and/or was set on HYS or T14s, then yes, it's a good idea to work with an experienced and helpful consultant.

• nicole33nicole33 Free Trial Member
    edited June 2020 7 karma

Hi! I purchased the unlimited admissions consulting package, and I can safely say that the help that 7sage gave me drastically helped me! If you are looking at perfecting your PS, I definitely recommend splurging on getting the unlimited edits for one document. As someone who constantly gets writers block, my assigned writer helped me immensely with brainstorming! What really justified the price for me was the fact that I didn't want a certain aspect of my application to drag me down. Since I spent so much time and energy in my grades and LSAT, and I also wanted to give the same amount of care in my PS. Please let me know if you have any other questions! :) I also posted an in-depth review of my experience w 7sage on their admissions consulting review page if you want more information on their services!

• raevco25raevco25 Alum Member
    139 karma

@nicole33 Thank you so much for this, it is super helpful!! I'm definitely leaning towards doing it thanks to all the great feedback, so thank you!

• FilibusterFilibuster Alum Member
    100 karma

I used the unlimited admissions consulting package and I consider it one of my better investments because I got to work with Sarah Cohen (consultant/angel in disguise). She helped me craft a PS and DS that allowed me to punch way above my numbers. Sarah was warm, perceptive, and meticulous. Her suggestions were constantly on point and she made drafting fun. She can be reached at sarah@7sage.com. Just to clarify: I highly recommend Sarah, she'll be the best decision you make this year.

• Coco_119Coco_119 Alum Member
    147 karma

I think its worth it if you are a splitter trying to get into T-14, Ucla, Usc, Texas etc. I started with personal statement and later upgraded to full admissions consulting, they let me apply cost of personal statement to full consulting. So if money is tight, maybe start with personal statement help. After you're done with PS, you can decide if you still want to do full consulting and talk to them about payment plans.

Check my review for them below:
    As a splitter applicant aiming for a T-14, I needed to put together the best application and write the best essay I could.
    I highly recommend Ben and Christie. Ben worked with me on the personal statement, from the brainstorming stage to the final draft that I submitted. He provided extremely useful feedback on every draft that I wrote. I also owe a lot of gratitude to Christie. With her experience in law school admissions, Christie provided useful advice every step of the way, from feedback on my Why X essays, diversity statements, addendum essays, interview prep, correspondence with law schools, and scholarship negotiations. She was extremely punctual as well. She always answered my emails within 24 hours or less. Thanks to Ben and Christie, I got into a T-10 with merit aid! I truly believe that it was my essays and application that got me in. I also want to thank David for working with me on coming up with a payment plan that suited my financial situation. 7Sage may not be the cheapest out there, but they are the best value! The investment worth it in the end!

• sshrop99sshrop99 Alum Member
    4 karma

My time with the 7Sage admissions consulting team was nothing short of transformative. Jocelyn helped guide me to my goal of admission into a top law school with an optimistic and ever-positive attitude. I was admitted to four top ten schools and additionally, I received handwritten notes of praise for the strength of my essays. These results would not have been possible without Jocelyn's attention to detail and ability to help me tell my story. Thank you, Jocelyn and 7Sage team.

• olee2020olee2020 Free Trial Member
    10 karma

I also used the unlimited comprehensive admissions consulting package with Sarah Cohen, and it is 100% worth the investment. I had an LSAT score well below top tier school medians (lol), but my essays made up the difference. The whole application process is stressful enough, but having an experienced and super smart (!) editor with me made the whole experience so much more manageable. And I cannot recommend Sarah enough. She is an amazing storyteller, is incredibly detailed, and SO supportive! She gave me back my edits so quickly too -- most frequently the same day or within 1-2 days. I would definitely encourage an unlimited editing package for your Personal Statement if you had the $!