Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is there an opt-out deadline for July 2020 LSAT-Flex?

peacelilypeacelily Member
in General 17 karma

Hey guys, I think I may have bitten off more than I can chew and need extra time to study. In the e-mail we got for the July 2020 LSAT-Flex, LSAC noted that there is an option to opt-out and get a coupon for any LSAT from Aug till next April, but they did not indicate a deadline. I tried e-mailing LSAC to ask if there is a deadline and haven't gotten a response yet. In your experience, has there been one? I'm trying to see if I can still study till I'm confident enough for the July LSAT-Flex, but I don't know how much time I have to make that decision. Would appreciate your thoughts!

Comments

• noonawoonnoonawoon Alum Member
    3481 karma

So they already opted us in if you check your LSAC login. I'm in the same boat, not sure if I want to take July or delay.

However, I heard from May & June takers that they let you switch to the coupon last minute. So I'm sure it won't be an issue now.

• peacelilypeacelily Member
    17 karma

@noonawoon thanks for the response! So I just called them and the deadline to opt out of the July LSAT-Flex is July 6! You'd have to call them to opt out. Hope this helps. All the best w the exam!

• allisonyooallisonyoo Member
    15 karma

@noonawoon Hi! Sorry for digging this up, but by opt out deadline being 7/6, do you know if they meant the deadline to cancel and receive the coupon or the deadline to withdraw all together? I'm in the same boat and want to see how long I have before I have to make the decision to take/withdraw from the July test.

• kemu8460kemu8460 Member
    edited July 2020 29 karma

@"Allison Yoo" I was told by the LSAC that it was too late to cancel and receive the coupon a few days ago, but was able to pick what date I switched to. The exact quote from the email if this helps you:

"It is too late to receive a coupon however I would be happy to move your registration to a later test date. Please let me know which date you would like to register for."

Im not sure what the difference between getting a coupon and switching is since it seems like they let you pick any date?

• noonawoonnoonawoon Alum Member
    3481 karma

@kemu8460 I don't think there is any functional difference. Maybe getting the coupon means you can let it sit in your LSAC account for a while and choose the date later, and switching the date means you need to pick the new test date now. But you can always switch your test date a second time I'm pretty sure, so I don't think there is a difference.

• allisonyooallisonyoo Member
    15 karma

@kemu8460 Thanks! So is it that we still have the option to withdraw until the night before, and we get the option to move the test to a different date if we call..?

• lsatplaylistlsatplaylist Member
    5249 karma

@allisonyoo, That's what the website says and it also says it's our option on every test. Though I think for the sake of our sleep, maybe notifying them of needing to cancel registration/postpone sometime before the absolute deadline. I think the confusion was from the coupon deadline, which is earlier and a different issue.

• dazedandconfused-1dazedandconfused-1 Member
    258 karma

Hello, just wanted to ask a quick question regarding this - since LSAT flex doesn't count towards our number of times taking the test, wouldn't it be okay to take the July test regardless of whether you are prepared or not?

• hopefullinghopefulling Member
    905 karma

did you have to pay a rescheduling fee? I can't seem to find info on the LSAC site, ... I'm going to have to dig out the email

• yazminseyazminse Member
    193 karma

I just called them and moved it to august, there is no fee.

• Frenchy555Frenchy555 Live Member
    edited July 2020 393 karma

@dazedandconfused-1 I didn't know that the Flex wouldn't count towards number of takes until I read your comment. I was considering moving my date to August just to be cautious of how many takes I'd have left but considering that it doesn't count for attempts then why not go for it? My hesitation was from not having enough PT's done but I guess you could just view it as a step above a PT and a step below the standard in person Lsat. You'd still have the option to cancel your score if you feel sketched out about your performance anyways.

• hopjeteahopjetea Free Trial Member
    53 karma

@dazedandconfused-1 I think it's more that schools will see a (possible) low score v. waiting until we feel more confident to then test for as high of a score as possible.

• hopefullinghopefulling Member
    905 karma

Thank you @yazsenaga that's so helpful to know

• This_is_HardThis_is_Hard Alum Member
    815 karma

After having the chance to change my test dates 2 times in the past four months for FREE, I am holding out with the coupon they gave me UNTIL I am actually ready to take the exam. JY's words are so right when he says to not register until you feel you are ready to take the exam.

I am going to heed that advice now, because changing the test is costly and you are just opening yourself up to additional costs that are wasteful or forcing yourself to take such an important test when you are not ready.

Don't register until you are ready to do so. Set up a tentative test time and try to work to that time.

• dazedandconfused-1dazedandconfused-1 Member
    258 karma

all good points, thank you for the clarification and best of luck to everybody :)

• Chris NguyenChris Nguyen Alum Member Administrator Sage 7Sage Tutor
    edited July 2020 4572 karma

@noonawoon thanks for the response! So I just called them and the deadline to opt out of the July LSAT-Flex is July 6! You'd have to call them to opt out. Hope this helps. All the best w the exam!

So I just called them and they gave me a deadline of July 3rd at 11:59pm ET to opt out without paying for August. Are they giving different deadlines for different people?

• lsatplaylistlsatplaylist Member
    5249 karma

@Christopherr, I think it's because you're saving your coupon for a future test. This is probably more complicated on their end than the issue of just rescheduling and paying the test fee because it's two services rather than one and would thus seem to take more time to sort out, though I don't know for sure.

• LSAT2020_KLSAT2020_K Yearly Member
    26 karma

I just want to double-check!
    So, today (July 3rd) is the last day to opt out without paying for August, and we still have an option to withdraw (no refund/no rescheduling) until the night before?

• peacelilypeacelily Member
    17 karma

That's what it says on the e-mail but I tried calling them today & they're closed bc it's a holiday.. I sent an e-mail, but in the past, they have not been responsive to my e-mails...

• Chris NguyenChris Nguyen Alum Member Administrator Sage 7Sage Tutor
    4572 karma

@LSAT2020_K said:
    I just want to double-check!
    So, today (July 3rd) is the last day to opt out without paying for August, and we still have an option to withdraw (no refund/no rescheduling) until the night before?

Based on what the LSAT representative told me, if you don't email them tonight by 11:59pm ET stating that you wish to reschedule to August, the only option you have left is to withdraw.

• amara_majeedamara_majeed Member
    36 karma

What's the email we should use to reschedule?