Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What to do when you want to give up?

lilymdileolilymdileo Free Trial Member
in General 82 karma

I'm taking the July flex exam next Saturday and I feel so discouraged. I'm not sure what to do to feel more confident for next week. Any advice?

Comments

• Sydney VSydney V Alum Member
    17 karma

Take some time to do something you enjoy! Remind yourself that the exam, and the score you get, are not the end all be all of your life. I'm taking the exam next Sunday and I'm also pretty scared, but know that we will get through this.

• 1058 karma

This depends on how close you are to your target score. Confidence can help you especially if you are already scoring near your target score. But it can not be substituted for good logic skills. I’m not sure where you are at in regards to your target score, but this test does take a lot of time and effort to understand well. Whenever I felt like I was not making progress, I would schedule a tutoring session so someone with more experience than me could show me why I wasn’t breaking through. Obviously, this wouldn’t be much help if you are planning on taking the July LSAT since time is short.

If you are near your target score then I would say you’ve got to train your mind to think healthy thoughts. We so often let our minds imagine the worst scenario possible which can be very discouraging! Use that same imagination to think of the best possible situation happening instead and don’t allow your mind to go down a bad path.

• logan__hlogan__h Member
    38 karma

I'm also pretty nervous-- taking it for the first time next Tuesday! So [INSERT DISCLAIMER] while I have no "proven"/experienced test-taker advice for ya, I am right there with you! That being said, I do second what others have said about the importance of relaxing/"anti-burnout" activities in your schedule too (exercise, video games, music, breathing fresh air outside, etc)...I've found that I sometimes study myself into a slump without even realizing it, until I take even one day off. I'm sure that's NOT the advice anyone who takes studying seriously wants to hear (myself included), especially this close to the big exam date, but it's definitely got some mental health benefits that will probably help to keep one positive/confident during this week of mounting dread. Of course, moderation is key. End rant. If you've hit your target score even once/know it is a possibility, I'd say go for it!

• ByzantineByzantine Member
    37 karma

Accept that probably nothing you do in the next week is gonna make a massive difference at this point, so just focus on tightening things up. Maybe a take a day or two off as well so that you're not going into the test totally burnt out. I'm taking it on Tuesday and am spending the next week just tightening LG and testing out some gimmicky approaches to sections, like starting with #20 in LR or jumping around in LG, to see if they make any difference in my performance.

I have the luxury of living half a mile from my dream law school, so when I'm feeling super bummed out and/or not motivated, I'll go for a drive around the campus and listen to music to remind myself why I'm doing this. Maybe you should try just going for a drive and listening to music to unwind and think about what it is that you're doing.

This test is a LOT. There's nothing wrong with feeling unconfident, unmotivated, sad, anxious, etc. It's actually way less normal if you're not feeling that way.

Best of luck to you on the test, my friend!

• AllSmiles4AllSmiles4 Member
    40 karma

Honestly I'm in the same boat and reading these comments made me feel MUCH better.

• lexxx745lexxx745 Alum Member Sage
    3190 karma

Dont give up. Before my first flex everyday felt like a nightmare of stress lol. But ended up getting the score I wanted so, way less stress for this next take coming up!

Trust me, stress impacts performance. Try your best to relax, exercise, meditate, etc. Do the MOST you can to do whatever puts you in the right mindset. For me, its exercise and eating right.

• lsatplaylistlsatplaylist Member
    5249 karma

Tell yourself I won't give up. We won't give up. Also maybe try the Thinking LSAT podcast and the 7Sage podcast. And see LSAT Unplugged on YouTube. He has a great story about overcoming struggles.

• legallybrunette-23legallybrunette-23 Core Member
    37 karma

Say some positive affirmations out loud or write them down! Get lots of good sleep and eat healthy foods. Believe in yourself, you've got this!

• lilymdileolilymdileo Free Trial Member
    82 karma

@"Sydney V" said:
    Take some time to do something you enjoy! Remind yourself that the exam, and the score you get, are not the end all be all of your life. I'm taking the exam next Sunday and I'm also pretty scared, but know that we will get through this.

Thank you!! We are in this together and that helps a lot to know.

82 karma

@"legallybrunette-23" said:
    Say some positive affirmations out loud or write them down! Get lots of good sleep and eat healthy foods. Believe in yourself, you've got this!

Thank you!! I love your username !

82 karma

@lexxx745 said:
    Dont give up. Before my first flex everyday felt like a nightmare of stress lol. But ended up getting the score I wanted so, way less stress for this next take coming up!

Trust me, stress impacts performance. Try your best to relax, exercise, meditate, etc. Do the MOST you can to do whatever puts you in the right mindset. For me, its exercise and eating right.

Thank you:)))

82 karma

@Byzantine said:
    Accept that probably nothing you do in the next week is gonna make a massive difference at this point, so just focus on tightening things up. Maybe a take a day or two off as well so that you're not going into the test totally burnt out. I'm taking it on Tuesday and am spending the next week just tightening LG and testing out some gimmicky approaches to sections, like starting with #20 in LR or jumping around in LG, to see if they make any difference in my performance.

I have the luxury of living half a mile from my dream law school, so when I'm feeling super bummed out and/or not motivated, I'll go for a drive around the campus and listen to music to remind myself why I'm doing this. Maybe you should try just going for a drive and listening to music to unwind and think about what it is that you're doing.

This test is a LOT. There's nothing wrong with feeling unconfident, unmotivated, sad, anxious, etc. It's actually way less normal if you're not feeling that way.

Best of luck to you on the test, my friend!

Thank you so much .. this helped a TON. Sometimes words of encouragement and knowing you aren't alone is all we need to keep us moving.

• Hans ZimmerHans Zimmer Member
    edited July 2020 541 karma

I've adopted a few habits when these urges arise that could be of use.

1. When I feel frustration coming on and that nagging voice in my head even starting to suggest it's not all worth it, I take a walk. Not figuratively! I put the headphones in, throw on the absolute most inspiring tunes I have and I take a good walk around the neighbourhood.

This may sound funny but it's become a sort of mental reset for me. Almost every single time when I come back I feel renewed and ready to go.

1. Picture your biggest struggles, and remember how you fought through them. You showed great strength then, you were capable of it then and you're capable of it now.

2. Think of the sacrifices you've already made. If you're applying to law school you've definitely made some sacrifices along the way. I find reminding myself of what's already been invested is a good way to silence that inner voice that can be so quick forget it.

I hope this helpful :)