Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Test date question

sheridjwsheridjw Alum Member
in General 936 karma

Hi everyone, I have a question that I would really like some input on from fellow members on here. I started studying for the lsat in the beginning of December with PowerScore books and did that for about two and half months with a few practice sections scattered in that time as well. I realized towards the end of February that I was not getting anywhere so I signed up for 7 sage and took the diagnostic which I scored a 142 on. I went through the cc pretty meticulously, read the loophole, and foolproofed games 1-35. I took my first post cc pt on the 1st of July and scored a 152, and then tonight I hit 160 with a Br score of 167. I went -12 total in LR, -6 in RC, and -8 in LG. My goal score is a 165. The deadline to sign up for August is the 15th so I kind of need to decide if I should attempt that test date soon. My other option is October. I guess I am wondering if you guys think I’m better off just registering for October giving myself lots of time, or trying to push even harder than I have been the next month and a half to be able to get a score and applications in sooner, of course if I get my desired score. I also would welcome any advice on what to do for LG, I foolproofed 1-35 but still can’t seem to get to -3 range. Thanks in advance for the responses!

Comments

• 410 karma

Might as well do October if you can do October. It's realistically possible to get to -0/-1 with good LG foolproofing. Look at what happens to your current score if you just go 0 in LG. LSAT isn't a crammable test, have to take it low and slow and let the learning slowly integrate with your brain (I don't know how to really explain it, but to me it's felt more like working out than studying).

• sheridjwsheridjw Alum Member
    936 karma

@"jeff.wongkachi" thanks for the reply back and helpful advice. That is a great point, do you have any suggestions on what to do and not to do in terms of foolproofing? I can’t seem to make the inferences on games I see the first time on pt’s.

• edited July 2020 410 karma

I think the key is to get enough games in your rotation. This is important because one major initial problem I had with foolproofing is that I remembered the answers. But at some point, I was grinding out multiple sections a day, and had a lot of LG to go through. You start forgetting the specifics (which is what you want) and have to focus on the bigger picture ideas, AKA how to read the language of the test and how to get to the right answers.

I started off with -9 in LG and I'm down to about -0 to -2 for the more normal LG sections. I know when I first started doing Foolproof I was wondering how on earth it could be helpful to repeat games that you remember. But really really focus on the pathway to the right answer and be honest about it. There were still times I remembered the right answer, but if I couldn't remember the way to get there I didn't let myself pick the answer choice. Be really tough on yourself to remember the ideas and that's what will let you see the forest from the trees for LG.

This process took me months since LG didn't come naturally to me. To date I've done over 1000 games... but the grind has created noticeable results. It's not easy, but I can tell you that it's worked for me and worked for plenty of other people!