Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Am I ready for July?

EllegoalsEllegoals Member
in General 342 karma

So I'm planning on taking the July test, but I'm getting so nervous!!! My goal score is around a 169 and about a month ago I was able to hit it but unfortunately, I haven't hit it since and have been averaging around a 163-164. The past month I've had a pretty bad apartment move, so I've been wildly stressed out and my mind hasn't been totally focused, which is what I'm hoping has been the reason for not hitting my goal score. When I do individual timed sections, I'm seeing the scores reflect exactly where I want to be, but when I take a PT my scores drop. Should I chance it and hope that my test day focus and knowledge of the content pulls through, or should I push to October? (August doesn't seem possible with my work schedule) I'm also worried that the test I scored a 169 on was just super compatible with my skill set and not reflective of an average PT. Any thoughts?

By the way, good luck to everyone taking July :)

Comments

• dunawh75dunawh75 Member
    25 karma

I would take it. You probably won't get your goal score, but you may - and if you're confident a few more months of studying will bring up your score anyway, taking the LSAT twice does not hurt you. I'm in the same boat (scoring on average 168 but recently scoring 170, which is my goal score) and I'm going to take it. I figure best case scenario, I get my 170, worst, I score closer to my 168 and retake the exam. It also depends on if you're okay with the additional $200 fee if you do take it a second time, though, so really only you can figure out what's best for your situation. Good luck!

• EllegoalsEllegoals Member
    342 karma

@dunawh75 I think you're right, best case scenario it works out and worst case I retake. Thanks for the input! Also just curious, if you do have to retake will you do August or October?

• cabsmithcabsmith Member
    39 karma

Yeah, definitely take it. July is going to be me third take. I've had test anxiety for the first two and, as a result of the stress, the scores from my final month of study always went down a few points. This all caused me to spiral and lose confidence weeks before test day (lowering my PT average even further).

To avoid that problem this time around, I'm not letting the actual scores dictate my confidence. Even though I under-performed from my previous average this month (as was to be expected), I still have a process that I was able to follow and do well with a month ago. For me, the next few days are about reviewing that process through my notes and by doing basic drills.

• EllegoalsEllegoals Member
    342 karma

@cabsmith That's exactly what I'm doing this week, just refreshing the basics, going through notes and drills. If you know the material well, that won't go away, but a refresher will never hurt! Thank you for the advice and I wish you the best on test day!

• dunawh75dunawh75 Member
    25 karma

@Ellegoals I'm planning on taking it again in August :)