Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

August 29 LSAT-Flex (US, Canada)

J.Y. PingJ.Y. Ping Administrator Instructor
edited August 2020 in General 13940 karma

Announcement from LSAC:

• The August 29 LSAT will be Flex (USA, Canada)
  • LSAT-Flex will be administered starting Saturday, August 29 through Friday, September 4. Most test takers will test on Saturday, Sunday, or Monday, with a small number of tests occurring later in the week.
  • Test takers will be able to choose the time that works best for their schedules from the available options on one or more days, which are determined by the remote proctoring requirements. LSAC recommends that test takers sign up as early as possible, as slots are assigned on a first-come, first-served basis.
  • Sign up will begin at 12 noon Eastern Time, Thursday, August 13. Every August registrant will receive an email at that time with detailed instructions to guide them through the scheduling process.
  • For the August test, score preview will cost $45 for candidates who sign up before 11:59 p.m. ET on August 28, or $75 for candidates who sign up after testing has concluded. (Please note: First-time test takers who have an approved LSAT fee waiver will receive the score preview free of charge.)
  • LSAC will now allow test takers to use a regular or mechanical pencil, or a pen, while taking the LSAT-Flex. Test takers will still need to show their writing utensil(s) to the proctor during the check-in period.
  • Test takers may also use soft, non-electronic, non-corded/banded, generic foam ear plugs, which will need to be shown to and approved by their LSAT-Flex proctor.
  • Expected score release date is Friday, September 18.
  • Test is undisclosed.

More information about the score preview option can be found here.

More information about LSAT-Flex

Comments

• Heinz DoofenshmirtzHeinz Doofenshmirtz Member
    481 karma

Hey August test takers---I saw that the LSAC is giving the option of a score preview for 45 dollars, where you can look at your score before deciding whether or not to keep it as part of the LSAC transcript. Would you recommend purchasing this feature? I'm having trouble deciding.

• rkim5297rkim5297 Alum Member
    105 karma

@Deepika7 said:
    Hey August test takers---I saw that the LSAC is giving the option of a score preview for 45 dollars, where you can look at your score before deciding whether or not to keep it as part of the LSAC transcript. Would you recommend purchasing this feature? I'm having trouble deciding.

Personally, I think it’s pretty nice. Wish they would have introduced it earlier though. If I’m qualified, I would consider it. But that’s just my opinion!

• jwiltonjwilton Member
    62 karma

@rkim5297 said:

@Deepika7 said:

Personally, I think it’s pretty nice. Wish they would have introduced it earlier though. If I’m qualified, I would consider it. But that’s just my opinion!

Agreed, this feature doesn’t really seem to have any downsides. Some people have great experience with FLEX and others have nightmare scenarios with the proctors; for my first go-around with the LSAT, I’d definitely want this peace of mind.

I’m a bit puzzled why the July students didn’t have this option, however. What makes the August test unique enough to warrant this?

• noonawoonnoonawoon Alum Member
    3481 karma

^Keep in mind that if you have a nightmare scenario with a proctor, LSAC should offer you a free re-take the way they have done for many people in that situation. I think this option is more for people who just feel uncertain about taking the test because RC and LG are now weighted differently or whatever. Definitely don't wait to see your score and then decide to cancel if technical or proctor issues occur.

• 375 karma

How are RC and LR weighted differently now?

• mrowley91mrowley91 Alum Member
    203 karma

@FutureLawyer77 it's weighted differently because in previous tests, LR comprised 50% of the test, LG 25%, and RC 25%. Now each section has an equal weight of 33%

• andywsoccerandywsoccer Member
    83 karma

Since this is not an international flex, could i still apply for it even though I am in Asia? For example, apply for it as a U.S. regions, and then take the flex from my home in Asia? Are there any restrictions to this? My rational is that since it's online, it would be okay..?

• NinoSaniNinoSani Alum Member
    100 karma

@andywsoccer said:
    Since this is not an international flex, could i still apply for it even though I am in Asia? For example, apply for it as a U.S. regions, and then take the flex from my home in Asia? Are there any restrictions to this? My rational is that since it's online, it would be okay..?

I was thinking the same thing, I'm in Europe right now, technically should be back to Canada by August, but I don't know exactly because a lot of the flights are still getting cancelled for me, if I had an answer I would just book it and wouldn't worry about being physically in Canada by test date.

• andywsoccerandywsoccer Member
    83 karma

I surfed around a bit, and according to people's reply on reddit, it's not possible/not allowed. Knew it was too good to be true..

• akitagogoakitagogo Alum Member
    89 karma

@andywsoccer said:
    I surfed around a bit, and according to people's reply on reddit, it's not possible/not allowed. Knew it was too good to be true..

I heard of people taking the July Flex in Asia tho, and it seems their scores were not cancelled or anything.

• legallyconfusedlegallyconfused Alum Member
    edited December 2020 350 karma

deleted

• lmedr001lmedr001 Free Trial Member
    10 karma

Score preview is an absolute COVID blessing.

• benjamin-5benjamin-5 Member
    3 karma

i’ve been practicing taking preptests on my ipad since for the digital lsat it was supposed to be administered on a tablet... will i be permitted to take the FLEX on my tablet as well? or just my laptop? if so, i’ll adjust how i take preptests accordingly

• Ozzy SheikhOzzy Sheikh Member
    115 karma

Two questions:
    1)Everyone taking the LSAT in August will be automatically registered for LSAT flex? I ask because when I registered for the LSAT August date the option only gave me a "Houston Test Center" option.
    2) Are there 3 scored sections and 1 experimental section for LSAT flex? Or is it just 3 scored sections?

Thanks!

• OneFortyDotSixOneFortyDotSix Alum Member
    634 karma

@"Ozzy Sheikh" said:
    Two questions:
    1)Everyone taking the LSAT in August will be automatically registered for LSAT flex? I ask because when I registered for the LSAT August date the option only gave me a "Houston Test Center" option.
    2) Are there 3 scored sections and 1 experimental section for LSAT flex? Or is it just 3 scored sections?

Thanks!

no experimental - just 3 scored. They did this because it wasn't feasible to insert a 15 minute break in between sections without compromising the security of the test.

• fox...11fox...11 Alum Member
    edited July 2020 50 karma
    1. Is there anything we need to do on our part if we have already registered for the LSAT in August? Will we automatically be registered for Flex? I just want to know when we will select dates/times but i'm sure that is not available yet.

2. Anyone know how the scoring is working out on the new Flex? I'm confused as to how heavily each incorrect answer weighs on you now that there is only 3 sections.

• amaka.okonmaamaka.okonma Member
    126 karma

So it says that there is no fee to change the date for the August exam till the 24th? Is that true? And does that apply to people who have not yet signed up for the exam? (I know the deadline is tomorrow I will apply before then).

• luxetveritasluxetveritas Member
    64 karma

@"amaka.okonma" i think the no fee to change the date - the coupon, i believe - applies only for people who signed up before the august flex announcement was made

• luxetveritasluxetveritas Member
    64 karma

@"hermes." no, nothing more you need to do. and dates/times are not avail yet. and each section is scored the same, so each section counts for 33% of the score

• amaka.okonmaamaka.okonma Member
    126 karma

@luxetveritas thank you!

• ashleyfcashleyfc Alum Member
    35 karma

Hi! Figured it would be faster to ask my question here (i've been on hold with LSAC for a while)... I just registered for the Aug 29th LSAT and I still had to choose a test center even though it is an LSAT flex. Is this normal?

• matiecena83matiecena83 Member
    62 karma

@NinoSani said:

@andywsoccer said:

I was thinking the same thing, I'm in Europe right now, technically should be back to Canada by August, but I don't know exactly because a lot of the flights are still getting cancelled for me, if I had an answer I would just book it and wouldn't worry about being physically in Canada by test date.

I called LSAC and they said that you have to be physically in USA/Canada. I'm wondering if anyone has had luck using VPN to change their IPO to take the test from outside the region?

• julietdeejulietdee Core Member
    11 karma

Does anyone know how many questions you can get wrong on the LSAT flex and still score in the 170s? I know it's around 10 for the regular test, and I'm wondering how that translates to the 3-section test.

• erik.sageerik.sage Core Member
    20 karma

@julietdee So they have not released an official score conversion table but a lot of people are guessing it is the percentage of questions correct. So usually to get a 170 on the traditional LSAT you would need to get 90% of the questions correct, so if the total number of questions on the flex is 75, I believe you could get 7 wrong and still get a 170, but that is going off of powerscore and kaplan's guess on how the exam is being scored.

• kingJZ180kingJZ180 Member
    22 karma

So for the LSAT writing, in order to receive my score, when is the deadline of the writing?

• 110 karma

@Deepika7 said:

What makes you qualified for this?

• lcperry15lcperry15 Member
    17 karma

@akitagogo said:

@andywsoccer said:

I heard of people taking the July Flex in Asia tho, and it seems their scores were not cancelled or anything.

There was an international LSAT scheduled for July 2020 that was converted to a Flex, so people in Europe, Asia, etc. could take that exam

edited July 2020 481 karma

@"LastLSAT-1" said:

@Deepika7 said:

I think its a feature available for any first time test taker

• CRISPR24CRISPR24 Alum Member
    262 karma

Can anyone please send the link JY posted for converting LSAT score to FLEX score? I can’t seem to find it anywhere...

• pcoechowpcoechow Member
    12 karma

@ciacduan said:
    Can anyone please send the link JY posted for converting LSAT score to FLEX score? I can’t seem to find it anywhere...

Here you go!
    https://7sage.com/lsat-flex-score-converter/

• CRISPR24CRISPR24 Alum Member
    262 karma

@pcoechow said:

@ciacduan said:

Here you go!
    https://7sage.com/lsat-flex-score-converter/

Thank you!

• yazminseyazminse Member
    193 karma

do you guys happen to know when we will receive the email from LSAC to sign up for proctor u?

• mrowley91mrowley91 Alum Member
    203 karma

I think you do it a week or so before the actual test date. Does anyone's test on LSAC still say their test center instead of LSAT Flex? I opted in almost three weeks ago but it's not changing.

• penaka19penaka19 Alum Member
    18 karma

mine still says the test center too!

@mrowley91 said:
    I think you do it a week or so before the actual test date. Does anyone's test on LSAC still say their test center instead of LSAT Flex? I opted in almost three weeks ago but it's not changing.

• brandonk47brandonk47 Member
    97 karma

does anyone know the time slots for the test?

• nanabillannanabillan Member
    347 karma

we will get an email from ProctorU this week.

• yazminseyazminse Member
    193 karma

I believe it the aug 29- sept 2

• 35 karma

Does anyone know if we are allowed to use Ctrl. F on the LSAT Flex? I've heard of people using it but is it official?

• 7SageUser-27SageUser-2 Member
    58 karma

Yes, you can use CTRL F

• CTrain97CTrain97 Member
    19 karma

I know this was asked a couple weeks ago, but has anyone heard about test times yet? I haven't received any emails from LSAC or ProcterU and want to make sure i've done everything needed.

• ruiwithpeace-1ruiwithpeace-1 Alum Member
    21 karma

@CTrain97 said:
    I know this was asked a couple weeks ago, but has anyone heard about test times yet? I haven't received any emails from LSAC or ProcterU and want to make sure i've done everything needed.

I got an email last week and chose a time and date for August Flex

• arnisya97arnisya97 Alum Member
    139 karma

@CTrain97 said:

I also haven't received any such emails yet. Anyone know what could be up?

19 karma

@ruiwithpeace said:

@CTrain97 said:

I got an email last week and chose a time and date for August Flex

Major oof! Took some work but I got it settled. Can't thank you enough for the quick response.

19 karma

@arnisya97 said:

@CTrain97 said:

I ended up having to go to ProcteU's website, entering the email on my LSAC account, and selecting "forgot password". They sent me an email to reset then I got in. Might also check spam filters on your email. Apparently gmail has a pretty strong filter.
    It took me awhile to find a time but eventually snagged a 9:50 slot.

481 karma

@"LastLSAT-1" said:

@Deepika7 said:

Sorry, this is a late response, but the score preview is available to anyone who is a first time test taker

• arnisya97arnisya97 Alum Member
    139 karma

@CTrain97 said:

@arnisya97 said:

@CTrain97 said:

I ended up having to go to ProcteU's website, entering the email on my LSAC account, and selecting "forgot password". They sent me an email to reset then I got in. Might also check spam filters on your email. Apparently gmail has a pretty strong filter.
    It took me awhile to find a time but eventually snagged a 9:50 slot.

Omg thank you so much, you saved me from taking the LSAT at 7.15am on a Sunday :')
    I managed to swipe a 11.10am slot in the end. All the best for next weekend, friend!

• RC LAWYERRC LAWYER Alum Member
    85 karma

Does anyone know what this section of the email from LSAC that August Flex takers got yesterday means? I'm not sure what menu they are talking about...Is this just our regular LSAC account? Thanks!!

IMPORTANT: We strongly encourage you to log into your LSAC LawHub account using your LSAC username and password at least once prior to your test session, to ensure they are correct. When you test your username and password, you should see a new “LSAT-Flex” option in the left-hand menu. Clicking on this “LSAT-Flex” option should bring up a message that you are eligible to take the LSAT-Flex. If you do not see the “LSAT-Flex” entry in your LawHub menu, please contact us directly at 215-968-1001 or email us at LSACinfo@LSAC.org, with “AUGUST LSAT-FLEX ISSUE” in the subject line of your email.

• thegreatthegreat Core Member
    3 karma

@"RC LAWYER" if you click on the link in the email for LawHub and use your LSAC log in info, it'll take you to a page and on the left hand side it will say LSAT-Flex. I think this is where we will take the exam with ProctorU.

• christinagomez7738christinagomez7738 Alum Member
    120 karma

This is gonna sound weird but I’m so happy the flex is a thing mainly cus I drink so much coffee beforehand so if it’s really a problem I can pee my pants n no one will know <3 taking the lsat holding ur pee is a nightmare ;(

• poppyflowerpoppyflower Member
    15 karma

I have a question about using your phone as a mirror for check in. Does anyone know if this is necessary or can we move our cell phone out of the room before checking in for the exam?

From the LSAC website: "One cell phone is allowed for use as a mirror during check-in as instructed by your proctor, but it must be turned off and put away as instructed by the proctor before the test begins. Additional cell phones are prohibited."