Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

⚖ Official July 2020 LSAT-Flex Discussion Thread ⚖

Comments

• gunning4harvgunning4harv Alum Member
    7 karma

@ReachingFor180 said:
    Just took it this morning. Order was LR-RC-LG for me. Generally LR seemed average, RC was slightly more difficult (which is usually my best section), and LG was okay, but some of games were tricky/time consuming. I recall contemporary literary theory and volcanic ash plumes as two of the subjects covered in RC. For games, I vaguely remember something about inspections and another one about tv and print media.

Oh I had the same one! Yeah, the LG was a little tricky. I struggled with time towards the end

• edited July 2020 410 karma

@diegobueno_32 said:
    Hey everyone, I took the test yesterday at 10:50, and the format was LR26 (electric bacteria) - LG (tv or print) - RC (volcanic ash plumes, Algonquin tribe, Literary theory and science, Women’s marriage law reform in England). I did very well in LR and thought it was pretty easy as it had short prompts. LG was same as usual but you had to be on your toes. RC killed my perfect test tho, as I thought the algonquin passage was brutal and the comparative passage was hard too. If you had this format or any of the sections mentioned, What did you all think about it?

I feel the exact same way and also took the test at the same time as you did. LR was fair with a few trickier questions but nothing crazy. LG seemed average since I finished with time to spare, but I invested a shitload of time to prep for LG.

The middle two passages were super killer. Had to take a few moments to re-collect myself since I initially didn't feel like I was understanding one of them at all.

I'm no expert but since the other two sections were likely average while the last one was harder, I would imagine a pretty standard curve for us. Though I have also read that lots of people thought that the LG we got was quite hard? So I'm not sure. Everyone I saw talking about it agreed that the RC was tough though.

• az123456az123456 Alum Member
    64 karma

Does anyone know if they proctors mute themselves ?

• 410 karma

@az123456 said:

Mine muted herself for the entire test after wishing me luck.

• halllilly98halllilly98 Alum Member
    20 karma

@az123456 said:

Mine did!

• AKWW2020AKWW2020 Member
    edited July 2020 23 karma

Had the Volcanic Ash RC section, LR with Bacterium and LG with Inspections. LR was tough for me, usually my worst section. Got on the backfoot timing wise and it led me to rush a little. Just felt like there were a lot of traps on the back end. LG was very fair, first three games I could easily run sub boards and the Sub/Eq was in the first game which was great. Usually -0/-1 there, needed a good section to make up for LR. Last question on the last game tripped me up though, think I took an L there (double meaning). RC was definitely tough but also didn't think it was impossible. Can see them sneaking in a tough question on the volcanic ash passage and found the MP on the Parliament Act tough but I actually thought the comparative was alright. Better than a lot of the legal theory comparative RCs in the 80s. Hoping its a -9 curve but think it may be -8. Just like every LSAT I've taken, there's always something that slips by you. Don't expect this to be different.

• samanthagracebrownsamanthagracebrown Core Member
    73 karma

@AKWW2020 said:
    Had the Volcanic Ash RC section, LR with Bacterium and LG with Inspections. LR was tough for me, usually my worst section. Got on the backfoot timing wise and it led me to rush a little. Just felt like there were a lot of traps on the back end. LG was very fair, first three games I could easily run sub boards and the Sub/Eq was in the first game which was great. Usually -0/-1 there, needed a good section to make up for LR. Last question on the last game tripped me up though, think I took an L there (double meaning). RC was definitely tough but also didn't think it was impossible. Can see them sneaking in a tough question on the volcanic ash passage and found the MP on the Parliament Act tough but I actually thought the comparative was alright. Better than a lot of the legal theory comparative RCs in the 80s. Hoping its a -9 curve but think it may be -8. Just like every LSAT I've taken, there's always something that slips by you. Don't expect this to be different.

Hey can someone please explain this supposed curve to me? Maybe I haven't done my research, but do you mean to tell me that they'll give us extra points on some of the tougher questions?

• amara_majeedamara_majeed Member
    36 karma

When you guys say -9 or -8 curve, what does this mean? In order to get 170?

• 414 karma

Yup it's how many you could get wrong to get 170.

• kyoungy_kyoungy_ Live Member
    73 karma

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if any one could please clarify this phrase on the LSAT Flex FAQ page. It says:

• Q: What electronic devices are prohibited?
    • A: "One cell phone is allowed for use as a mirror during check-in as instructed by your proctor, but it must be turned off and put away as instructed by the proctor before the test begins. Additional cell phones are prohibited."

• https://www.lsac.org/update-coronavirus-and-lsat/lsat-flex

I was wondering what exactly "use as a mirror during check-in" mean? Does this mean that it's mandatory for me to bring my cell phone to my desk? (I was planning to turn it off & put it away long before the test starts for peace of mind, but now I'm not sure whether I need to have it with me and also have it turned on at the beginning of the test? Seems rather odd.)

Also, what is a "check-in"???

I'd be much grateful if anyone could please provide any clarification on this. Thank you in advance!

• seabec5310seabec5310 Core Member
    346 karma

@kyoungy_ said:
    Hi everyone,

I was wondering if any one could please clarify this phrase on the LSAT Flex FAQ page. It says:

• A: "One cell phone is allowed for use as a mirror during check-in as instructed by your proctor, but it must be turned off and put away as instructed by the proctor before the test begins. Additional cell phones are prohibited."

I was wondering what exactly "use as a mirror during check-in" mean? Does this mean that it's mandatory for me to bring my cell phone to my desk? (I was planning to turn it off & put it away long before the test starts for peace of mind, but now I'm not sure whether I need to have it with me and also have it turned on at the beginning of the test? Seems rather odd.)

I'd be much grateful if anyone could please provide any clarification on this. Thank you in advance!

I was also confused at first but I took my test a couple days ago so I'll explain, the mirror is so the proctor knows there are no sticky notes on your computer screen (since the camera wouldn't pick that up). I brought a big hand mirror (extra, I know) because I felt the same as you and didn't even want my phone to be in the room. Check in is just your proctor downloading things on your computer and then you have to tour them around the room you're taking the test in with your webcam. This 'tour' only took like 1 minute for me. The total amount of time that check in took for me was 35 minutes, most of that time was me waiting for the proctor to download and check things on my computer (make sure all tabs are closed).

• 65 karma

@matt_brendan said:
    Does flex allow accommodations?

In case your question hasn't been answered. Yes they do, I emailed them. Depending on your accommodations you will get your extended time, additional paper, etc. They did tell me that they don't have any way to let people do a few things (paper test, etc). But if you have been granted accomodations, they will be honored.

• kyoungy_kyoungy_ Live Member
    73 karma

@seabec5310 said:

@kyoungy_ said:
    Hi everyone,

I was also confused at first but I took my test a couple days ago so I'll explain, the mirror is so the proctor knows there are no sticky notes on your computer screen (since the camera wouldn't pick that up). I brought a big hand mirror (extra, I know) because I felt the same as you and didn't even want my phone to be in the room. Check in is just your proctor downloading things on your computer and then you have to tour them around the room you're taking the test in with your webcam. This 'tour' only took like 1 minute for me. The total amount of time that check in took for me was 35 minutes, most of that time was me waiting for the proctor to download and check things on my computer (make sure all tabs are closed).

@seabec5310 Oh thank you so much! This helps a lot. Good luck with your results!

• 65 karma

@samanthagracebrown said:
    Hey! Just took the LSAT Flex today... it was my second time taking the test and I am honestly worried. I didn't get to the 4th game or the 4th passage, but I think I did decent on everything else. I guessed on 15-20 questions throughout the entire test. My PT was around 155-165. I'm just wondering if it's frowned upon to take the LSAT a 3rd time?

I will be taking it for the 3rd time this August. I was admitted to law school last fall, but I am trying to get into a different school that requires a higher LSAT score, and since I am not in the top 10 of my class they won't let me transfer w/o retaking the LSAT. That said, the Deans of Admissions at both schools have told me that they don't judge you on how many times you take it as long as you are making improvements. Since the tests vary in difficulty so much and circumstances can happen to throw you off in a test, they understand if you get a lower score and then re-take. If you feel very insecure about it you could always include an addendum to your application stating why you took it over, it's my understanding that the admissions committees appreciate addendum explanations (as long as they aren't too long).

• jackmmmmjackmmmm Yearly Member
    103 karma

@diegobueno_32 said:
    Hey everyone, I took the test yesterday at 10:50, and the format was LR26 (electric bacteria) - LG (tv or print) - RC (volcanic ash plumes, Algonquin tribe, Literary theory and science, Women’s marriage law reform in England). I did very well in LR and thought it was pretty easy as it had short prompts. LG was same as usual but you had to be on your toes. RC killed my perfect test tho, as I thought the algonquin passage was brutal and the comparative passage was hard too. If you had this format or any of the sections mentioned, What did you all think about it?

I had the same-- also thought LG was pretty standard. LR for me felt really hard, but RC for me wasnt as bad-- the comparative passage was definitely the worst imo.

• samanthagracebrownsamanthagracebrown Core Member
    73 karma

@georgiannajd2b said:

@samanthagracebrown said:
    Hey! Just took the LSAT Flex today... it was my second time taking the test and I am honestly worried. I didn't get to the 4th game or the 4th passage, but I think I did decent on everything else. I guessed on 15-20 questions throughout the entire test. My PT was around 155-165. I'm just wondering if it's frowned upon to take the LSAT a 3rd time?

I will be taking it for the 3rd time this August. I was admitted to law school last fall, but I am trying to get into a different school that requires a higher LSAT score, and since I am not in the top 10 of my class they won't let me transfer w/o retaking the LSAT. That said, the Deans of Admissions at both schools have told me that they don't judge you on how many times you take it as long as you are making improvements. Since the tests vary in difficulty so much and circumstances can happen to throw you off in a test, they understand if you get a lower score and then re-take. If you feel very insecure about it you could always include an addendum to your application stating why you took it over, it's my understanding that the admissions committees appreciate addendum explanations (as long as they aren't too long).

Thank you so much! Yeah I was diagnosed with severe ADHD after taking it the first time, so I think that would clear things up a bit lol.

• ARMANC74ARMANC74 Member
    210 karma

Just finished, overall, proctor experience was great, no problems at all.
    Test: LG/RC/LR
    LG: Farmer (fields)
    LR: Chimps, Lawyer client/Cooks
    RC: Jazz Bebop, Science anecdotes
    Overall, a very very fair test, no section was difficult. Kinda missed a rule in the last Logic game and barley reocvered

• grecia.v.rivasgrecia.v.rivas Alum Member
    14 karma

Just took the test - 23 LG, 27, RC, 25 LR was my order. LG was relatively easy, the third game was the one I had most difficulty with (cabinets), the last game (music groups) I thought was suspiciously easy. RC was okay. I can't remember all the passages but there was one about jazz and a comparative about paranormal activity. I had the hardest time with the jazz passage and it had a lot of questions so it definitely ate up a lot of my time. LR was okay, I had the section with chimpanzees. I definitely skipped like 4-5 and had three minutes to finish the last five questions so I guessed on two. Overall, I thought it was an okay test (better than I expected), my experience with Proctor-U was great, I didn't have any interruptions at all and the test ran smoothly. My nerves before the test got to me so I had to quickly break out of them by the time I was done with the first game.

• kilgoretroutkilgoretrout Alum Member
    795 karma

Just finished the test. I had: LG, RC, LR. LG was very easy, pretty straightforward sequencing games plus one difficult one (the cabinets). I had a lot of test anxiety and unfortunately panicked and my brain just stopped working though. So I'm kicking myself because I know the games were easy. RC had the section on jazz, made no sense. LR also talked about chimps, cooks, aide between municipalities. I did not find LR to be unreasonably difficult. I did not have enough time for both LG and RC.

I had technical issues 5 minutes before the end of LG. My proctor lost connection to my video (it was still recording me though -- and I live in the city with great wifi). I had to wait for about half an hour before I could resume the test. She transferred me to technical help and I had to reboot my computer. During this time I desperately wanted to finish my game board for the last game and make all possible inferences but I knew I was being filmed and didn't want to be accused of cheating. I started at 1:10PM EST and finished at 4PMEST.

• tangerinestangerines Member
    edited July 2020 30 karma

@"grecia.v.rivas" said:
    Just took the test - 23 LG, 27, RC, 25 LR was my order. LG was relatively easy, the third game was the one I had most difficulty with (cabinets), the last game (music groups) I thought was suspiciously easy. RC was okay. I can't remember all the passages but there was one about jazz and a comparative about paranormal activity. I had the hardest time with the jazz passage and it had a lot of questions so it definitely ate up a lot of my time. LR was okay, I had the section with chimpanzees. I definitely skipped like 4-5 and had three minutes to finish the last five questions so I guessed on two. Overall, I thought it was an okay test (better than I expected), my experience with Proctor-U was great, I didn't have any interruptions at all and the test ran smoothly. My nerves before the test got to me so I had to quickly break out of them by the time I was done with the first game.

Felt the comparative was tricky in its questions and answer choices. Took me longer than any of my other PTs to do the LR on this one. Wish I had paced quicker, ended up skipping a question and losing time when I returned to it. Hopefully that -1 doesn't make or break it.

• lexxx745lexxx745 Alum Member Sage
    3190 karma

Just took the test,
    RC - plumes, tribes, literary theory, and marriage
    LG - cabinets and farms or something
    LR - chimpanzees

overall, not bad. Fair test. I dont think the curve will be too generous for mine because it wasnt super hard. LR had a few tricky ones but still fair

• lsatplaylistlsatplaylist Member
    5249 karma

Did anyone get answers on whether it's allowable to step away from the camera to use the restroom knowing that the clock's running, like during the one-minute break? If someone notifies the proctor is it considered OK? Here's hoping this gets added to the website soon.

3190 karma

@lsatplaylist said:
    Did anyone get answers on whether it's allowable to step away from the camera to use the restroom knowing that the clock's running, like during the one-minute break? If someone notifies the proctor is it considered OK? Here's hoping this gets added to the website soon.

Dont think so. Pretty sure you cant move once the exam starts, period. But, I was able to go right before pressing "start exam" on the lsat screen after reading the instructions and having the proctor enter the passcode. But even during one minute break during the test, you cant go

• martinxi679martinxi679 Member
    edited July 2020 281 karma

Did anyone have a 27RC-26LR-23LG? Feeling a little embarassed about not remembering any of the topics tested... However, I do not recall any topics mentioned above, which appears a little strange to me. I just remember the structure of the last game, but I suppose it's not allowed to talk about exact structure.

• dpolchinskidpolchinski Member
    10 karma

@lsatplaylist said:

At the beginning, the proctor told me I could take a 2 break due to accommodations. I notified the proctor during that 1 minute via chat, I didn’t get a response and just ran to bathroom in my room.

When I returned, the proctor told me he filed a report/violation because I left my seat. I tried not to let that rattle me and finish test. ProctorU told me it wouldn’t be an issue, so I’m hoping LSAC reviews the matter kindly.

I’d suggest you not move until your proctor permits.

• rrodriguez00rrodriguez00 Alum Member
    67 karma

@lsatplaylist said:

They definitely don't allow you to leave once the test starts because they want to prevent test-takers from potentially cheating by looking at their phones, other laptops, having someone assist you, etc. That's why LSAC shortened the test to 3 sections---making it any longer would have required them to allow bathroom/snack breaks. They're pretty strict about staying within the view of the camera.

• NinoSaniNinoSani Alum Member
    100 karma

Before the start of the test can I ask the proctor a procedural question?

346 karma

@NinoSani said:
    Before the start of the test can I ask the proctor a procedural question?

Yes! I didn’t ask my proctor anything but I called LSAC before the test to ask them that question and they said you can, as long as it’s just procedural.

• b_annab_anna Alum Member
    20 karma

Did anyone have to upload a photo to LSAC for the July LSAT Flex or is it done through the mirror test on your test day? I cannot find where to do it online for LSAC through my account.

• 414 karma

Just got done w the international flex.
    LR (26) - RC - LG
    LR included questions about breast milk, mountain climbing??
    RC was drilling for waste disposal, tricksters, plagiarism (comp; it was suuuper hard and I basically guessed all 7 questions), and civil vs. criminal law
    LG: playing for concert? (jazz, orchestra, solo), morning afternoon and night shift was the last game

Overall LR felt fair, and LG on the easier side
    w/ super hard RC for me.

Fellow intl' flex takers pls share your sentiments!!

• andywsoccerandywsoccer Member
    83 karma

had RC-LR-LG
    RC hard for me couldnt be sure of most of my answers. brain dead and cant remember what they were about.... Anyone know if we need a writing sample to know the score on 7/30? I remember reading somewhere that it’s starting on August Flex that they revert back to the policy of needing a sample to disclose your score to you.

3190 karma

@"caffeine powered human" said:
    Just got done w the international flex.
    LR (26) - RC - LG
    LR included questions about breast milk, mountain climbing??
    RC was drilling for waste disposal, tricksters, plagiarism (comp; it was suuuper hard and I basically guessed all 7 questions), and civil vs. criminal law
    LG: playing for concert? (jazz, orchestra, solo), morning afternoon and night shift was the last game

Overall LR felt fair, and LG on the easier side
    w/ super hard RC for me.

Fellow intl' flex takers pls share your sentiments!!

that was my RC for the May Flex lol

• edited July 2020 1058 karma

@martinxi679 said:
    Did anyone have a 27RC-26LR-23LG? Feeling a little embarassed about not remembering any of the topics tested... However, I do not recall any topics mentioned above, which appears a little strange to me. I just remember the structure of the last game, but I suppose it's not allowed to talk about exact structure.

I had this one I think.

RC topics: Housing laws, Invasive plant species, defendant's position in court.
    LR: Can't think of any now.
    LG: 4th game was about performances at a show.

• 124 karma

@kilgoretrout said:
    Just finished the test. I had: LG, RC, LR. LG was very easy, pretty straightforward sequencing games plus one difficult one (the cabinets). I had a lot of test anxiety and unfortunately panicked and my brain just stopped working though. So I'm kicking myself because I know the games were easy. RC had the section on jazz, made no sense. LR also talked about chimps, cooks, aide between municipalities. I did not find LR to be unreasonably difficult. I did not have enough time for both LG and RC.

I had technical issues 5 minutes before the end of LG. My proctor lost connection to my video (it was still recording me though -- and I live in the city with great wifi). I had to wait for about half an hour before I could resume the test. She transferred me to technical help and I had to reboot my computer. During this time I desperately wanted to finish my game board for the last game and make all possible inferences but I knew I was being filmed and didn't want to be accused of cheating. I started at 1:10PM EST and finished at 4PMEST.

@matt_brendan said:
    Does flex allow accommodations?

Yes

• 1058 karma

@andywsoccer said:
    had RC-LR-LG
    RC hard for me couldnt be sure of most of my answers. brain dead and cant remember what they were about.... Anyone know if we need a writing sample to know the score on 7/30? I remember reading somewhere that it’s starting on August Flex that they revert back to the policy of needing a sample to disclose your score to you.

Did you have the following:

RC topics: Housing laws, Artist in 60s, defendant's physical position in court, Invasive plant species.
    LG: 4th game was about scheduling performers for a show

• martinxi679martinxi679 Member
    281 karma

@"The Great White Shark" said:

@martinxi679 said:

I had this one I think.

LG: 4th game was about performances at a show (if anyone remembers this one let me know as I felt like there may have been a trap in it).

Yep! Pretty sure that's what I had. Well I still don't really remember what the exact topics of LG were, but comparing to all the other topics mentioned on this post, show performance sounds much more aligned with the question types I had, and the RC topics you mentioned sound exactly the same with mine. Thanks so much!

• rpark1027rpark1027 Member
    45 karma

Just took the Flex, the order was LR LG RC.

LR: set with company price-fixing
    LG
    RC: Motown / species classification / stock market / software patent

Overall I had a really good experience with my proctor. I took the test within 20 minutes of the scheduled test time and there were no techical difficulties. LR was overall okay but I always get confused on like three or four so.. RC was fine too but the stock market passage (comp) was a bit confusing.

• andywsoccerandywsoccer Member
    83 karma

@andywsoccer said:
    had RC-LR-LG

Did you have the following:

RC topics: Housing laws, Artist in 60s, defendant's physical position in court, Invasive plant species.
    LG: 4th game was about scheduling performers for a show

I think I had the LG you mentioned, but dont really remember if I had your RC’s tho.

• mochimochimochimochi Member
    11 karma

@martinxi679 said:

I had this one I think.

LG: 4th game was about performances at a show.

I had the same topics as you for RC and LG (2nd game was crops in North/South fields and 3rd game was about furniture I think?) how did you feel about each section, especially LG?

• lilymdileolilymdileo Free Trial Member
    82 karma

I took the test on July 11th. I was connected to a proctor right away and had no problems with that whatsoever, which I was nervous about. I also had the LR - RC - LG sequence. I personally found RC particularly more challenging than any RC section I've practiced with. The LR was also pretty difficult, but I usually don't have time to finish LR sections since I am a really slow reader. LG was pretty easy compared to the other sections. I've signed up for August because I feel like I scored in the 140s thats how much I guessed :( Does anyone else feel discouraged ? I want to cancel my score but at this point I think that would hurt more than help. I also don't know where to do my LSAT writing? Does anyone know how it works and how they proctor you? Thank you!

• pkleehl95pkleehl95 Core Member
    66 karma

@lilymdileo You can take the LSAT writing on the same page on LSAC where you check your scores. There are no live proctors during the writing part. They video record the entire session instead and there are instructions that ask you to show your surroundings to the camera much like the FLEX exam.

• jl326336jl326336 Free Trial Member
    4 karma

Hi There,
    I wrote the LSAT for the first time during the July exam and I feel like I completely froze. I barely feel like I even read any of the LR questions (my first section) as I couldn't take in any of the information and then panic that I had taken too much time reading, guess and then move on. Needless to say it did not go well. Does anyone have any suggestions surrounding this? I felt calm the morning of the exam but as soon as I logged on I felt like I couldn't read/ process. I am scheduled to take the August exam as it will be flex, however, I am worried it will be the same situation and that it will be a huge waste of time and money.

Thoughts?

• 410 karma

@jl326336 said:
    Hi There,
    I wrote the LSAT for the first time during the July exam and I feel like I completely froze. I barely feel like I even read any of the LR questions (my first section) as I couldn't take in any of the information and then panic that I had taken too much time reading, guess and then move on. Needless to say it did not go well. Does anyone have any suggestions surrounding this? I felt calm the morning of the exam but as soon as I logged on I felt like I couldn't read/ process. I am scheduled to take the August exam as it will be flex, however, I am worried it will be the same situation and that it will be a huge waste of time and money.

Thoughts?

Might just be first time jitters. How many PTs have you done? Did you get a good night's sleep? Takes a lot of work staying calm in situations like that to be honest.

• lilymdileolilymdileo Free Trial Member
    82 karma

@lucky7wy said:
    @lilymdileo You can take the LSAT writing on the same page on LSAC where you check your scores. There are no live proctors during the writing part. They video record the entire session instead and there are instructions that ask you to show your surroundings to the camera much like the FLEX exam.

Oh okay! On the lawhub website?

• amara_majeedamara_majeed Member
    36 karma

We are supposed to get our scores back today/now right? I haven't gotten an email or anything

346 karma

@amara_majeed said:
    We are supposed to get our scores back today/now right? I haven't gotten an email or anything

Check your LSAC account under LSAT status

• w.klemtw.klemt Alum Member
    67 karma

@amara_majeed said:

I thought we were supposed to get an email too! I did see a score online under LSAT status on my LSAC account but it does say "projected score". Unsure if this is our actual score?

• 4 karma

I think when it says project score email date, it means it expects they will send out the email today, not that the score is only projected.

• w.klemtw.klemt Alum Member
    67 karma

Thanks! I figured they wouldn't just post a projected score but wanted to be sure! Especially since normally people are emailed in advance of their score release.

• Daniel JinDaniel Jin Alum Member
    26 karma

Are we allowed to use full screen (f11) on chrome during the FLEX test?