Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

anyone else think Powerscore LG is awful?

whatsmynamewhatsmyname Member
edited July 2020 in General 606 karma

After finishing the LSAT Trainer I hopped on PowerScore LG.

Im finding it excessively wordy and convoluting. Its confusing me more instead of helping.

Anyone else agree with this? Im even thinking of dropping it because it feels like a waste of time

Comments

• Jonathan WangJonathan Wang Yearly Sage
    6866 karma

From a tutoring perspective, I've thought poorly of the LG Bible for years, and stopped recommending it as a resource long ago. It obviously works for some people, but I can't help but think that those same people would have made even more improvement had they used something else instead.

• noonawoonnoonawoon Alum Member
    3481 karma

Yes, I think it teaches an unintuitive and time-consuming way to do games

• Law and YodaLaw and Yoda Alum Member
    edited July 2020 4306 karma

When I first started prepping I ordered the LSAT Trainer, the PowerScore bible trilogy (LG,LR,RC), and bought 7sage. Needless to say- I never opened PowerScore and returned it after studying with 7Sage and the LSAT Trainer. I love some of the notation ideas from the LSAT Trainer (same shape symbol), but overall 7Sage covered everything. Not only can you watch JY draw out the correct game board with the rules needed for the game but you can see live runs of this. 7Sage helped me hit -0 in LG.

• whatsmynamewhatsmyname Member
    edited July 2020 606 karma

Bless, I was starting to think I was stupid (I mean, I could still be)

I think I'm gonna get sage. Any additional resources you like or can suggest?

• lizzogonzolizzogonzo Member
    628 karma

A lot of people also like using Loophole by Ellen Cassidy if you're aiming to ace the LR section, I'm reading it at the moment and I find it very useful.

606 karma

@lizzogonzo said:
    A lot of people also like using Loophole by Ellen Cassidy if you're aiming to ace the LR section, I'm reading it at the moment and I find it very useful.

Somewhere I read, they said it was over rated. What particularly do you like about it?

• annacd20annacd20 Member
    edited July 2020 4 karma

Same! I read the beginning sections (linear, grouping, mixed setups) and found it overall quite unhelpful.

• horace.the.mannhorace.the.mann Alum Member
    edited July 2020 16 karma

Personally Powerscore LG bible was the only thing that helped me improve my performance. I tried 7sage, tried repeating games over and over, watching the lessons, and watching the 7sage explanation videos. It wasn't helping much and I was pretty committed. The issue is that doing the same game over and over wasn't changing my conceptualization of how to approach the games and solve them. The videos just go through each question in order, and each answer in order with just a simple explanation of why the right one is right and the wrong ones are wrong. I am a high scorer in the other sections, but just have really struggled with getting to a high logic games score. It made me feel terrible about myself when I was really struggling for JY start off most game explanations by saying that they were super easy and should be finished in like 5 minutes. I bought the LG bible and it really taught me strategy and how to think about the games differently. Implementing new ways of thinking might take a bit longer at first, but it opens the door to really change your performance. I moved over to Powerscore for all sections and found it much more helpful. I only log in here to check my analytics to confirm which tests I've taken in the past.

• mrowley91mrowley91 Alum Member
    203 karma

I think the key takeaway about powerscore, The Loophole in Logical Reasoning, and others is that we all learn in very different ways. I thought Powerscore was alright for getting overall familiarization with games, but ultimately ended up getting rid of the book when I found 7Sage. Additionally, I found Ellen Cassidy's book to be helpful particularly with 'translating' phrases. Her book felt unpretentious and was easy to digest. However, I could see how, if you were already scoring pretty high on PTs, this would likely not be helpful. I think the key is to give yourself enough time to try different things to see what works. It's taken me a long time, but when I started to see increases in my scores I was doing the following:

• LG timed sections multiple times a week
    • RC timed sections multiple times a week
    • LR drilling (I use the LSAT Demon)
    • 1 test, blind review, and review per week.

Again, I think the key is just finding what works best for you! Explore your options and see what you like best.

• okkkkkkkkkkkokkkkkkkkkkk Member
    edited July 2020 135 karma

I concur with @mrowley91

The only powerscore that's useful is the Logical Reasoning Bible.

I know from your other post in which I left a comment that you're looking to ace the LSAT in 45 days - you need 7SAGE.

As I eluded to in my other comment, organization and deconstruction of LSAT material is the difference between learning fast and learning slow. 7SAGE helps immensley. From creating problem sets to filtering questions by question type. I actually first picked up 7SAGE purely because I needed to filter questions according to question type, and therefore begin to deconstruct the caveats of each question.

Later after going through the LR course syllabus briefly, I found that it also added that extra level of depth via more interactive teaching (videos) as opposed to just reading a book and interpreting the information for yourself.

Get the LR powerscore bible, and pick up a 7SAGE membership for everything else. Use the problem set creator to seperate questions once you've gone through the general material.
    Like wise start practicing LG ASAP on 7SAGE

• hopjeteahopjetea Free Trial Member
    edited August 2021 53 karma

@rrmradi said:

I'll get on sage soon enough, enough people seem to think the bible is valuable so I'll go through it a second time.

I decided to push for Oct by the way, so there's no rush.

As always, all of your opinions and feedback are appreciated!

• antyyanantyyan Member
    10 karma

yup, it sucked, huuuugely regret buying it

• mhf.andrewmhf.andrew Member
    207 karma

Wonder if Powerscore offers a forum wherein their students vent disapproval of 7 Sage? What's the deal that "lawgic" thing?

@"mhf.andrew" said:
    Wonder if Powerscore offers a forum wherein their students vent disapproval of 7 Sage? What's the deal that "lawgic" thing?

Why does it matter? Its the only lsat related forum I signed up on. I've noticed the mods here dont censor critiques on 7sage nor appraisal of competitors' products, so you can be comfortable there's likely no bias.

This was genuinely my opinion, I havent used 7 sage yet and don't like how the information is presented in PowerScore when compared to the LSAT trainer. I just wanted to know if I was dull or alone. Upon a second read things are coming together better, but I still think the book could have been written more succinctly.