Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Most questions that I get wrong are after Q16... need advice

Cookie MoonCookie Moon Member
in General 264 karma

I found a pattern that I get most Q1 to Q 15 on LR right, but after Q15-16, I start to get more wrong question. Anyone has similar situation like me? Any good suggestions to improve it? Thank you 7sagers!

Comments

• 410 karma

Step 1 is to do an evaluation. Do another section and start with the last 10. See if you're getting them wrong because of difficulty or because of endurance.

• avoro002avoro002 Alum Member
    336 karma

I'm glad you shared your experience, it's happent to me too. It could be true that later questions are more difficult and running out of time doesn't help either

• Thy RainThy Rain Core Member
    99 karma

Hey! I had a similar problem. My tutor recently suggested me to do at minimum 10 questions a day of LR from Q15-25/26. I've been drilling about 10 a day and I've seen an increase in my accuracy!

I have a wrong answer notebook in where I write down answer I get wrong, the question type, the reason I missed this answer choice, and a solution for this!

LR isn't about memorization for the most part. It is about taking the bigger picture. I used to be -16 in LR and have since moved to -6. I found in my wrong answer journal that the biggest reason I missed a question was because of my poor understand of the stimulus.

Once I knew my issue, I started doing ONLY translation drills of the stimulus. I would read it once, and then cover it up, and try to translate what I read in my own words.

• Cookie MoonCookie Moon Member
    264 karma

How do you do translation drill? Does it like practice simplifying the sentences into your words?

@Strive4Greatness20 said:
    Hey! I had a similar problem. My tutor recently suggested me to do at minimum 10 questions a day of LR from Q15-25/26. I've been drilling about 10 a day and I've seen an increase in my accuracy!

I have a wrong answer notebook in where I write down answer I get wrong, the question type, the reason I missed this answer choice, and a solution for this!

LR isn't about memorization for the most part. It is about taking the bigger picture. I used to be -16 in LR and have since moved to -6. I found in my wrong answer journal that the biggest reason I missed a question was because of my poor understand of the stimulus.

Once I knew my issue, I started doing ONLY translation drills of the stimulus. I would read it once, and then cover it up, and try to translate what I read in my own words.

• ben.schlossben.schloss Core Member
    edited July 2020 9 karma

I think the reason why is one of, or a combination of, three reasons: 1) endurance, 2) timing/feeling rushed, and 3) question difficulty (harder logic games and passages tend to be one of the last two in each section). I'd recommend checking your timing for the earlier questions after 7sage's practice tests to see if it's an issue of timing. You can also look at the question/passage/game difficulty for the ones you're missing and see if it's difficulty.

If you think it's partially endurance, right when you finish a section, immediately grab another from one of the earliest tests and just do 5 more problems at random. It's like with running - you train at distances longer than you "race" for.

Hopefully this helps. I've had a number of concussions, so fatigue is a major issue for me, and it's helped me.

I also agree with the translation drill recommendation above! Read the stimulus, cover it up or close your eyes, and translate it back into your own language. Identify the conclusion, and the controversy or the loophole, etc

264 karma

I think my problems are a little of both the reasons you mentioned. Timing and difficulty. Endurance is not a big problem since Flex is 3 sections now. Is it better to start from last questions? More difficult to easy? Anyone tried to practice from the last to the first question?

@"ben.schloss" said:
    I think the reason why is one of, or a combination of, three reasons: 1) endurance, 2) timing/feeling rushed, and 3) question difficulty (harder logic games and passages tend to be one of the last two in each section). I'd recommend checking your timing for the earlier questions after 7sage's practice tests to see if it's an issue of timing. You can also look at the question/passage/game difficulty for the ones you're missing and see if it's difficulty.

If you think it's partially endurance, right when you finish a section, immediately grab another from one of the earliest tests and just do 5 more problems at random. It's like with running - you train at distances longer than you "race" for.

Hopefully this helps. I've had a number of concussions, so fatigue is a major issue for me, and it's helped me.

I also agree with the translation drill recommendation above! Read the stimulus, cover it up or close your eyes, and translate it back into your own language. Identify the conclusion, and the controversy or the loophole, etc

264 karma

@"jeff.wongkachi" said:
    Step 1 is to do an evaluation. Do another section and start with the last 10. See if you're getting them wrong because of difficulty or because of endurance.

It's more because of the difficulty